Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Labeling Players

Old
Labeling Players - Fri Feb 15, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hey guys and gals.

So I just read someones blog/post about labelling people.
It seemed as if the people commenting and posting labeled everyone. And I do see the benefits in that, but how do you go about labeling? There thousands of people out there, changing all the time, so how do you go about that, and when did you feel ready to start labelling or purchase poker software.

For the moment I don't have a bankroll, so it's not applicable, but I used to have a bankroll few years ago, and it's a big part in stepping up your game.

Thanks!
Okapiboy

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi Okapiboy,

Just because you don't have a bankroll doesn't mean that you shouldn't be labeling players. You'll be way ahead of everyone else who thinks that way if you start now.

To label within the client, right click on the avatar of the person you want to label. You should see "Label" with a right arrow. Hover over it to see some colours from which you can choose. You should name each colour with descriptions that you want to use. Most people will label "fish" or "donks" green and regular "TAGs" red. Go with whatever suits you.

You should also be taking advantage of notes as well. For example, "Bets 3 streets with air in EP" or "Limps with premium hands". This can be done by also right clicking on the avatar and selecting "Note". You can then enter your text where the chat box is located. Once you've made a note, you should then see an "N" under the player's avatar. Keep in mind that if you play on more than one computer, the labels & notes you create on one will NOT appear on any other, unfortunately. I hope this helps!

Please let us know how you make out!

Good luck at the tables!

iggyo

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#3)
Thank you.

But I was more wondering about the vast amount of players there are to label.
Every session you'd have to label 20 guys, with info you need to gain also over quite the period of time. So this labelling is all by hand?

Also, could you explain the pokerlingo

"Bets 3 streets with air in EP"

Bets 3 ? with nothing in early position?

Also, I'll start labelling as soon as I get on the moneytables or the notable parts of freerolls.

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Sorry for the lingo... A street is a betting round. In my example above, the 3 streets referenced are the flop, turn and river. So the player bets on all three betting rounds with absolutely nothing in early position.

In regards to the number of players on the site, there are also a lot of nuts for squirrels to collect but they don't really think about that. They just carry one nut at a time back to their hiding place. You won't encounter every single player on the site as they all do not play the same games at the same stakes as you. As mentioned, the earlier you do it, the more data you will have. Yes, money tables and freerolls will be the places to start. Don't waste your time doing that on play money tables unless you are just practicing making notes and labels.

Hope that helps!

iggyo

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#5)
Great analogy.
I'll keep it in mind.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
There are thousands of players out there, but once you've colour-coded a few fish, you can hunt for them like the shark you aim to be.
I used to colour code the most loose and passive players ("calling stations") bright green. This would indicate the players that tend to lose the most money. With green meaning GO, you can click through the lobby, looking to see which tables the green fish are playing on, then add your name to the waiting list. If the fish is still at the table when you get a seat, you're on the road to value town.
Conversely, if you come across some tough players, you can mark them red. If you see those on tables, you should avoid them. Mark them red for STOP. If one of these guys comes and sits on your left, you might also want to leave the table and find a better one.

Making money in poker is all about playing against weaker players and avoiding the better ones. You don't have to colour code everyone. Just keep chasing the guys you already have marked... and then add some more players as you come across them.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:41 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
There are thousands of players out there, but once you've colour-coded a few fish, you can hunt for them like the shark you aim to be.
I used to colour code the most loose and passive players ("calling stations") bright green. This would indicate the players that tend to lose the most money. With green meaning GO, you can click through the lobby, looking to see which tables the green fish are playing on, then add your name to the waiting list. If the fish is still at the table when you get a seat, you're on the road to value town.
Conversely, if you come across some tough players, you can mark them red. If you see those on tables, you should avoid them. Mark them red for STOP. If one of these guys comes and sits on your left, you might also want to leave the table and find a better one.

Making money in poker is all about playing against weaker players and avoiding the better ones. You don't have to colour code everyone. Just keep chasing the guys you already have marked... and then add some more players as you come across them.
I colour code to players pre flop actions only and I only use 4 colours:

Blue - calling stations, players that rarely raise pre flop
Orange - raising stations, players that raise far more than normal
Magenta - Rocks, players that play very few hands usually premiums but raise or call when they do.
Red - dangerous, players that play a tight aggressive game. Easy to read but hard to play against.

I use these colours for a quick indication for their pre flop actions, the first 2 are easy to play against but the last 2 need more stats which I get from HEM, Notecaddy or further notes.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#8)
Thanks alot!

And these things, you just notice?
With 8 other players on the table, you'd have to keep an intent eye on who does what.

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Okapiboy, welcome!!

Reading through your other threads brings back so many memories for me of what it was like for me trying to get started learning poker.

And then, I was reading in one of your other threads how you're playing 11% of hands, and you didn't even need a HUD to help you tighten your range the way *some* people did (that may or may not include me ), which is awesome!

So it sounds like you're on your way

Maybe a way to ease into the habit of taking 'note' of some of the players at your table might be to start by watching the play of the two players to your immediate left, like the players who'll be in the blinds when you're in the button? If they hardly play any hands, then they could get a color-code tag to show that they're tight ... and if they do play a lot of hands, then they could get a different color-code tag to show that they're loose.

Then when you get a hand like 88 in the button, and everybody at the table has folded before you, it won't seem so risky to make a raise with the hand if you know the two players in the blinds are tight and therefore not likely to call?

Hope that wasn't too confusing ... I've only had half a cup of coffee ...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com