Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Early in League Tourney - 77 in mp (23bb)

Old
Early in League Tourney - 77 in mp (23bb) - Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
UKIPT League Division 2 Tournament - Level III with Blinds at 25/50

Background:

We're 9 hands in to the tournament & I'd raised the two previous hands with premium holdings AKs, QQ & took down the pots uncontested. I then pick up 77 in mp (23 bb) and it was folded to me.

Villain 6 is new to the table & playing his first hand, so I have no information.

Pre-flop:

Not wanting everyone to think I'm a complete maniac, I decided to limp hoping to see a cheap flop. Villain 6 called, as did the SB & the BB checked, so we went 4 way to the flop.

Post flop:

Great flop... gives me a set and after blinds checked, I make a (3/4 pot) bet. Villain calls & Blinds fold.

Turns brings the Td and a FH. I made a small bet (1/2 pot) as not to scare the Villain off. Villain called.

At this stage, I dismissed AA, TT, AT giving him a higher FH, Quads etc because he would have raised pre-flop (or the turn), therefore put him on a draw hoping he connects on the river, so I can get maximum value.

The river is 8d; with both straight & flush draws getting there... I bet just over 2/3 pot to induce action & Villain duly obliges & shoves 'all in'.

Question: I'm pot committed with only 445 chips behind to win 2,400 chips... Snap call right?

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:44 AM..

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 05:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Absolutely committed and snap calling, but I'd probably bet a little more on earlier streets, setting up an obvi-shove on the river. While your hand is some way from the nuts, you can't ever fold this river, and will get looked up by flushes and trips (and sometimes hands like AK). If villain slowplayed AT, or rivered it with T8, that's poker.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Prodigy237!

With 77 (or any other hand that I'm first to get into a pot with), I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB. I'm not going to open-limp because that can definitely be a bet tell for a small/mid pair or a speculative hand.

I flop bottom set on a board with both straight and flush draws. When it folds to me here, I'm going to make a pot-sized bet (200). This is both due to the number of opps in the hand and the board texture. I want to give as many opps as possible a -EV play to call and try to outdraw me.

The turn gives me a full house and since I'm now up againt only one opp, I'll make a 1/2 pot value bet (250).

The river completes a flush and a straight, but with a full house, I don't really care about those. The only way that this card beats me is if the opp hits a larger full house with it. Once again, I'll make a 1/2 pot value bet here (500).
The opp now shoves on me. Even with this being a league tourney, I'm calling here. If they did hit a larger full house, so be it, I'll try again in the next tourney. With made straights and a flush possibly out there, there are too many hands that I beat to fold here and with the 700 bet, I'm absolutely pot-committed.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. I tend to play the Division 2 League games like regular MTTs and would therefore rarely limp when entering the pot after it folds to me, so admit I should have raised with pocket 7's. However, it worked for me in this spot after hitting my set on the flop as my hand is now completely disguised.

I snapped called the Villain's 'all in' on the river & here is how the hand played out.

I thought I played the hand ok post-flop & take comfort that my read was 'pretty close' & I'm winning more often than not in this spot to make it +EV.

Thanks,

Prodigy

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 08:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Prodigy237!

YIKES! Nothing you can do there and I'm going broke basically every single time. If the opp wants to make -EV calls the whole way and gets lucky, just write the game off and get back at it in the next one.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com