Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Satellite MTT Borderline Situation question

Old
Satellite MTT Borderline Situation question - Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This was a situation that happened to me in a satellite tournament recently. I thought it was a weird spot because I wasn't sure what to do from the advice I had. Here's the details, and I want you to picture yourself in a similar situation for your advice.

-24 people remain.
-Top 16 get a ticket to a bigger tournament - 17th gets a rebate of approximately 2/3 the price of the bigger tournament.
-You are currently in 14th or 15th place, stack-size wise.
-However, places 16-20 are all VERY close to your stack size.
-You have about 8 BB left.
-You are dealt pocket 10s utg.

In your opinion, would this be a fold or a shove? I know that in a satellite, if it seems like it's almost a sure thing you will advance, to always fold if someone with a bigger stack could get involved, even with Aces. But with how close the previous spaces were, it did NOT seem like a guarantee.

What do you guys think?

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 09:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

If I'm going to need chips to get in, then I'm playing it and I will definitely open-shove.

Once I get to where I think I'm safe to get in, then I'll fold everything.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
With the info provided I don't think we can be anywhere near comfortable folding to a seat yet at this point, we still need to accumulate some chips if possible. TT is too strong to fold in this case, I would shove and take my chances. We should take down the blinds/antes a very high % of the time here as even normally loose players will tighten up with the seat bubble approaching. We'll probably be called by AK but flipping as a small fav. is fine as holding there should lock us into the seat. If we run into a premium pair so be it. The blinds/antes to survive 1 more orbit seem like they may be critical on the bubble as the situation was described, so I'm all in.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com