Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Feb 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Hi there,

I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#2)
Is anyone available to help me ? Can I apply ?

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 05:55 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#5)
Hi there,

I've been playing on the NL full ring tables for some time, and just now I played this hand:

Obviously looking back on it I reallize just how a bad ideea is to play A with a weak kicker.
From my point of view I decided to call to see at least the flop, maybe i get A.
Then when the SB made a 3bet i thought since I already commited 100 to the pot, I might as well continue ( this being the second error since a 3-bet means usually a strong hand)
On the flop, the SB checked, so I thought he has nothing on the table so far, and the other player made a c-bet, which made me think he didn't had a J, cause he would then rather slow play or raise a little more.
Then I get the A, so I figure I have 2 pairs and I'm in great shape, then I see all in from the SB and decide to call ( probably the last mistake) since he then kicks me with the Q
I would like very much if you could discuss this hand with me

Also I'm still waiting for Feb 20 for the live training "Getting started" but I would like to know if there is some way I can watch a recored session since my time zone is different and the live training would be 3 AM in my country.

In advance since I have time till the live training, I passed the poker basics and cash game courses, eager to learn more

Thank you in advance for the help you are providing me, it helps a lot.

Regards

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Thanks for taking the time to put your thought process in for this. All information like that, that a member can provide will only help to get you a more informed answer.

With A8, I have an abnormally large open-raise in front of me. A standard raise would normally be to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so this raise is concerning, as most opps that make abnormal raises will bet more with better hands and less with marginal hands.
Due to this, plus having three players to act after me, I'm going to muck A8 here since it's a very marginal hand.

The SB now min-raises and is called by UTG. Here, it will cost me 80 chips into a pot that will be 560 (14.3%), which is not a high percentage, so I can call. However, I need to realize that even if I hit an 8 or an A, I may very well not have the best hand (a great reason to muck preflop to the 100 bet).

The flop totally misses me and if either opp has a J, I'm crushed. UTG now bets just over 1/2 pot (a bet that will make drawing a negative play to all but a combination straight/flush draw). With this action in front of me, I'm basically never ahead here, as at least one opp, if not both should have either a J, pocket pair or ace with a better kicker. Due to this, I absolutely need to muck here.
The check/call could be a J from the SB, but it could also be a draw or a 3 too. If I had a J and was the SB, I'd lead out, UNLESS I knew that villain 1 would bet out, in which case I'd check and call if their bet was large enough to price out any of the draws.

The turn gives me an A, but I'm still beat by any J or an ace with a better kicker and both of these hands are well within either opponent's range. This precise situation is another example of why I'd want to muck this hand preflop, as I now would like to call, but I'm most likely behind and don't want to give my chips away. Due to this, here's another place where I will muck. The other thing that I have to consider here is that by calling this bet, I'm basically pot-committing myself, and I don't want to have all my chips in when I'm not sure that I'm ahead.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:18 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Since the training doesn't work for your timezone, please watch a recorded one of it here.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
(#8)
Thank you very much for the hand analysis. It helps me a lot.

I've also watched the video you posted, nice thing with the hand saving option on the hard disk, didn't knew that.
Waiting for the next step (if it involves the poker basics quiz or cash game quiz, i have already taken them )

Regards

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:25 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#10)
Thank you very much
I played today at full ring real money tables, but the experience was rather....traumatizing.

I'll try to explain as best I can the bad luck and lack of experience behind it all.
Following the principles for cash tables, I choosed full ring tables with the highest percentage in players/flop and high pots. I studied the play styles of the rest of the players (most of them tight/aggressive with an extra loose aggressive)
I folded the weak hands and played strong hands from mostly late position, but till then, I think I was already spotted as a tight aggressive players since all my raises were folded and I went with only SB+BB + 1,2 limpers in the lucky cases.

Then I though based on what I've read so far, that I should vary the style, and if they thought I was a tight/aggressive I should raise some speculative hands. But every time I did that, I got absolutely nothing on the flop, on the worst case some wet flops but not for me. I made a standard c-bet to see where I was, and then I got re-raised, and was forced to fold, losing money.

Maybe I was scared that I would lose fast the money and afraid of commiting more than 25% of my stack on the pot, but I would like to know what would you recommend.
For example this hand

I got decent cards, not suited, but I thought I should give it a shot. Then the flop comes, I have nothing, make a c-bet, re-raised and forced to fold.

On the other side, here is a hand I played after getting folded from strong hands and trying to mix it up:

I played the cards that have started to be horror hands for me, A,8.
Limping should be sign of weakness, so after he called I thought it would be an easy game. But after the flop, I get nothing ( wasn't expeting to get something) make a c-bet, and re-raised with a large bet. Again I get scarred of commiting so much of my pot, so I fold.

What should I do in this kind of situations since I know better how this things usually turn out to be for me.( 90% i lose)

Finally, I got outplayed by a chrome star dude who just fooled me from the begging. He had AA and limped in,I had 88 and went with a raise then he called. On the flop 5 Q 9,he checks, I c-bet he calls, on the turn comes another 9, I c-bet again he just calls, the river shows a 5, I go with a big raise to scare him, he calls and shows pocket AA....

In play money tables I usually feel more comfortable calling some bets and smelling the bluffs, but here I have no sense of taking my chance.

I just feel silly seeing how I lose so badly, is there a chance for me to get better an actually make a profit ?

Please help me

PS: Bet sizing live training has the same late hour in my country being 3:20 AM .Is there a recorded version for it here ?

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Here is a link to the video. The hand will be analyzed for you within 24 hours.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#12)
Thanks for the link to the video. From now one I'll watch them on youtube on the PSO chanell

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanebabanu88 View Post
Thank you very much
I played today at full ring real money tables, but the experience was rather....traumatizing.

I'll try to explain as best I can the bad luck and lack of experience behind it all.
Following the principles for cash tables, I choosed full ring tables with the highest percentage in players/flop and high pots. I studied the play styles of the rest of the players (most of them tight/aggressive with an extra loose aggressive)
I folded the weak hands and played strong hands from mostly late position, but till then, I think I was already spotted as a tight aggressive players since all my raises were folded and I went with only SB+BB + 1,2 limpers in the lucky cases.

Then I though based on what I've read so far, that I should vary the style, and if they thought I was a tight/aggressive I should raise some speculative hands. But every time I did that, I got absolutely nothing on the flop, on the worst case some wet flops but not for me. I made a standard c-bet to see where I was, and then I got re-raised, and was forced to fold, losing money.

Maybe I was scared that I would lose fast the money and afraid of commiting more than 25% of my stack on the pot, but I would like to know what would you recommend.
For example this hand

I got decent cards, not suited, but I thought I should give it a shot. Then the flop comes, I have nothing, make a c-bet, re-raised and forced to fold.

On the other side, here is a hand I played after getting folded from strong hands and trying to mix it up:

I played the cards that have started to be horror hands for me, A,8.
Limping should be sign of weakness, so after he called I thought it would be an easy game. But after the flop, I get nothing ( wasn't expeting to get something) make a c-bet, and re-raised with a large bet. Again I get scarred of commiting so much of my pot, so I fold.

What should I do in this kind of situations since I know better how this things usually turn out to be for me.( 90% i lose)

Finally, I got outplayed by a chrome star dude who just fooled me from the begging. He had AA and limped in,I had 88 and went with a raise then he called. On the flop 5 Q 9,he checks, I c-bet he calls, on the turn comes another 9, I c-bet again he just calls, the river shows a 5, I go with a big raise to scare him, he calls and shows pocket AA....

In play money tables I usually feel more comfortable calling some bets and smelling the bluffs, but here I have no sense of taking my chance.

I just feel silly seeing how I lose so badly, is there a chance for me to get better an actually make a profit ?

Please help me

PS: Bet sizing live training has the same late hour in my country being 3:20 AM .Is there a recorded version for it here ?
Hi Fanebabanu88

Before we get to your hands let me mention a few points. Firstly, don't stress the results of your first experience at real money 2NL. If it were that easy to make money, everyone would be doing it. It takes a bit of time to learn the fundamentals and gain some experience. Secondly, make sure you have the right mindset when you play. If you are convinced you are going to lose before you even start, then you probably will lose. Take a day or two off and regroup before playing again. Finally, yes, there is hope for you. Judging by the hands you posted, you are doing many things right, but have a few things yet to learn. That is why we are here

First hand KJo: This would be the bottom of my opening range from midpostion. I strongly suggest you stick to the standard bet sizes. In this case, make it 3x, rather than 4x, preflop. There is no need to invest more money than neccessary into the hand. You get called by the btn who will have position on you.

The flop is all low cards. It seems unlikely that these helped either of you, unless one of you is holding a pair. I normally c-bet against one opponent. However, on a dry board like this, make your c-bet 50% the pot. There is 19 cents in he pot and you bet 6 cents. This is too small. Firstly, it is less than you bet preflop. Secondly, it is only about a third of the pot. This looks weak and encourages the villain to raise light actually.

Folding to the raise, as you did, was the only good move. Well done

Second hand A8o: I would actually have folded this hand preflop! A8o is not connected (no straights), it is not suited (no flushes) and you have a marginal kicker if you flop an A. Even though you are most likely ahead of the limper, your hand is going to be tough to play post flop. However, your raise size was perfect if you are going to raise.

The flop is 9 10 K. These are all cards that fit the villain's raing. They may also have QJ for a straight. This is not a good spot to c-bet. Take the free card and hope your hand improves.

As played, again folding to the raise was your only good option.

Finally, Fanebabanu88, I play very nitty. I know it can be frustrating missing the few hands you play, but trust me. Tight is right at the micro stakes! Keep at it and hopefully things will start swinging your way. Note, most new players are too loose. You have shown that you are carefull and can fold your good starting hands when you miss the flop. That alone is an important step in the winning direction

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:32 AM
(#14)
Thank you very much for the support and analysis.
I've also watched the video.

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:59 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

Please keep playing with the buy-in until you are able to get to 10VPP's with it or that you lose it.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:16 AM
(#16)
I think I've done both.
It shows I have 26 VPPs and I also lost all the money

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

It's time to now attend the Cash Basics live training session.

Also, study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz and attended the live training session, post back here and we'll continue.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:34 AM
(#18)
I already got the cash game quiz, and just watched the video on your youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2e5HzYRfZU

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Fanebabanu88!

This can take up to 48 hrs to show in our system. As soon as it does, I'll move you to the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#20)
Sure, no problem.
I'll wait

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com