Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

To much value for him to fold.

Old
To much value for him to fold. - Sat Feb 16, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

Supernova play. Guess I should have shoved preflop but wanted some action just not that kind.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't see much wrong here, a shove would have added to your stack but I think we want a decent sized pot in this case. One thing that would set the alarm bells with 3 callers was a possible set but I think we've got to take the line you took.

In the end he's Supernova for a reason and I'll be playing him next month at $1.50 games with his nice shiny badge attached to him and giving him no respect.

Unlucky but these things happen

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I think he made a horrible call.
Because you shoved, it's a simple pot odds calculation for him. He needs 27% equity to break even on a call. If he thinks you're doing this with AK, then he has 35%, but you're much more likely to have a pocket pair after 3-betting pre-flop and leading out on this low, wet board.
All he's got is a gutshot and one over (that would still be no good vs TT+).
If we put you on TT+/AK, you're going to win this 75% of the time.
Board: 4:heart:7:spade:5:spade:
       Equity     Win     Tie
villain    25.56%  24.20%   1.36% { Tc3s }
Hero    74.44%  73.09%   1.36% { TT+, AKs, AKo }

With the actual hands, your aces will hold a whopping 78.5%. Villain is obviously a suckout king.

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 3Karen3!

Since I'm pot-committed with the raise, I'd have shoved preflop.
However, the opp calling 5442 into a pot of 20004 (27.2%) is NOT a good play. They've got 4 outs to a gutshot (16% equity) and even if a 10 would make them good, it would only be 28% equity.... and I'm never counting a 10 as being good here.

Just because someone is supernova, doesn't mean that they are a good player. While the overwhelming majority of them are very good players, I've seen some that obviously bought the stars and are absolutely awful. They may be good at another game, but have no clue how to play a NLHE tournament (I've even got one color coded as yellow... basically a clueless donk).

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
Well yes, this villain does seem a bit of a donk. But that aside I still think shoving pre-flop is the correct play here. This big stack is maybe just getting cute and trying to throw his weight around and perhaps thinks a 3-bet from someone playing 20 BB effective looks weak. Shoving in spots like this pre will help prevent bad beats like this one happening so often.

I'm more and more coming to the realisation of why all the sick high level pros have such an advanced and aggressive pre flop game. Basically once the flop is out you have about 71% of your hand after only one round of betting so you shouldn't let the donkeys realise more equity than they should.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
bad day... will play aces the way you played..you made them pot commited with gutshot

lol @ villion....horrible bad play

Last edited by a1379; Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 09:02 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com