Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Risky flush draw

Old
Risky flush draw - Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi, I've recently played a freeroll tournament a lost a game in it by going all in with a flush. I was wondering if it was a good play or not, because I was pretty much sure someone had a jack but I thought I couldn't lose with that flush.

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:47 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nukkay!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you more familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

In any tournament, whether it's a freeroll or not, I want to be playing only better hands when I'm out of position and if nobody has opened yet, I want to be either making a standard raise or folding. If a hand is not worth raising with, as 68s is, I'm going to muck this preflop and look for a better spot, either with better cards or when I'm in position. Playing marginal or speculative hands when out of postion will be a large drain to my chip stack unless I would get very lucky.

If I was in the hand, the flop gives me a flush draw, but also has an overpair. When the first opp checks, I'm going to check behind here and hope to get a free card to draw to my flush.

The turn gives me a flush and when the first opp checks, I'm going to make a 2/3 pot value bet (1103)... however, this bet would pot-commit me, so I'm going to shove the turn.
I don't want to bet less than the 1103 because by doing so, either of the two opps could then be gettting the correct odds to try to outdraw me, which is something that I want to avoid if at all possible.

Unfortunately, the opp had a J and hit one of their 10 outs on the river.

The key in this hand is to muck marginal hands preflop when I'm out of position, as it will save me chips that I can hopefully get into better spots later in the tournament.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 03:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Sorry for posting it in the wrong section, I didn't really notice that when I was posting. Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I guess what you said about the hand is a pretty good advice, so I'll make sure to remember that. I haven't played poker online in a very long time and I only play poker at school where we don't play really seriously at all, so I don't have much experience with when to bet how much, what to fold etc. so this kind of advice is pretty handy.

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nukkay!

Not a problem. We're here to help. Try to take a look at the live training sessions and the video section. There are many, many of them that will be able to help you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com