Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL - facing aggression with TPTK BTN v B

Old
5NL - facing aggression with TPTK BTN v B - Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Villain is unknown

There might be reason to 3bet villain min raise preflop, but I decided to call

On the flop we are OOP with TPTK on a two-tone board.
For some reason I went for a c/r instead of a c/c. and villain comes over the top with an all in shove.

Considering his bet size on the flop, I hardly think we will be any good here?

Old
Mon Feb 18, 2013, 09:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Geo,

Even though villain is unknown I would generally 3b a button open min-raise with AQ for straight value. It makes our hand easier to play, punishes his loose steal range (which is probable there is a fair bit of one), and can get called by worse as players will often call our 3B with hands like AT and KQ thinking "oh the BB thinks I was just stealing but I've got a real hand so I call!"

So post flop I think you're asking the wrong question. You skimmed over the relevant question of why you check-raised. This creates a situation where we will get action from a range of hands that has very good equity against us (probably few worse hands, all the better ones, and the draws) and fold out hands which are in really bad equity shape. My preference is to lead out here or check/call, but not check/raise without any reads.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com