Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Early flopped set in Sunday Storm, my line?

Old
Early flopped set in Sunday Storm, my line? - Sun Feb 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
Ok this is about the 5th or 6th hand in the Sunday Storm I believe, just wandered whether I am right to call on the turn, are my pot odds correct, worst board ever for a set but we are so deep.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...317_DC1E8B34A5

Any comments or advice would be great

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi herbalerv!

Unfortunately, the link that is in your post does not work. Please provide a correct link or the hand history and we'll gladly look into the hand for you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...317_DC1E8B34A5

there we go I think I have sorted it, help and advice on what you do in this spot would be great, thanks.

Old
Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi herbalerv!

With pocket 10's very early in a large mtt, since everyone's plenty deep enough to setmine, I'm happy calling the raise here and seeing the flop in position.

The flop is both a great one and a bad one. Yes, I hit my set, but this is as coordinated a board as there can be with three consecutive spades. The first opp leads for 160 and is called by the second opp. Here is where I'm going to make a play and raise. I'll size the raise at a pot-sized raise to 730. This will help to define the opp's hands and also to give either of them a -EV draw. If either of the opps comes over the top, I'm absolutely going to be all-in here with them. Worst case, I have 7 outs to improve on the turn and 10 outs on the river if the turn doesn't help.

The same type of situation on the turn. With the first opp making a small bet again, it looks like they're trying to price-in a draw. I'd pot-size raise here too.

If I still had chips on the river, I'd have called. The opp just called along the whole way, so with the draws missing, they could easily be doing this with Jx or two pair, not just hands that beat me. Due to this and the large number of people that could call down light that satellited into it, play can be pretty fishy early.

Yes, I could lose out here if they flopped a flush or straight, but IMO, this is a chance that I'm going to be willing to take, especially if I can get the chips in on the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com