Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Mid – Month – Madness: The 50c Challenge

Old
Mid – Month – Madness: The 50c Challenge - Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
G’day Poker School Online community,

During one of my forum trolling sessions I managed to find something called the cowboy challenge. In this challenge the player starts with 25 buy-ins and has to double his 25-buy in outlay within 100 SNG games. I think there was some sort of prize if you completed the challenge. Unfortunately, this was an old thread and the challenge is no longer running.

I would like to invite you to join me in a new challenge – The 50c Challenge! I decided to call it the 50c challenge as this is the level I will be playing. Feel free to join me in the challenge playing at whatever level you are comfortable with. I do ask however that these be either SNG45 or SNG90 events, just to keep the results somewhat homogeneous. For this challenge I will be starting with 100 buy-ins. If you wish to enter perhaps we could run it a follows:

- One category for 90SNG players
- One category for the 45SNG players
- You must make it clear that you intend to participate before TID’s contribute
- You must post TID’s when starting
- You must play ALL the events in sequential order
  • * You, of course, can play different events or the same events with a different buy in. But once you have started the challenge all events of that type will contribute until you have played 100.
- You must complete 100 events within 6 weeks of the challenge start date (same start date for everyone)
- I will compile the results once the challenge is finished and present it in one post
- There will be no monetary prizes other that those you actually win by playing
- Prizes are inclusive of but not limited to the following:
* Challenge
* Sense of achievement
* Community spirit
* Poker player resource base
* Learn from others and advance your game

100 games is quite a small sample and as such not really enough to grade ones game one. However, I decided it might be fun to arbitrarily assign some targets. I put together the following:

100*50c SNG = $50.00

- ROI < 0% = Winnings < $50.00 = fail
- ROI > 0% = Winnings > $50.00 = pass
- ROI > 25% = Winnings > $62.50 = cowboy
- ROI > 50% = Winnings > $75.00 = table captain
- ROI > 75% = Winnings > $87.50 = SNG captain
- ROI > 100% = Winnings > $100.00 = shark
- ROI > 150% = Winnings > $150.00 = freak!

I also incliude the respective ROI's for each benchmark so that results can be compared across different buy in levels.

I’d like to invite you to join me in the challenge – The 50c Challenge. Remember, feel welcome to join as a 25c challenge or a $4.50 challenge or whatever you're comfortable with. I haven’t set a start date as yet because I would like to rustle up some interest first. In fact, I think this may take a couple of weeks to get started. If you are interested either in joining or in providing some thoughts and ideas please don’t hesitate to do so below.

Good luck and good skill,
Massive_Set

************************************************** ************************************************** **************

Current Entrants:
massive_set: 50c 45man
Grade b: 25c 90man
bhoylegend: __ __man
PINOY_HITMAN: 50c 45man

Last edited by massive_set; Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2012
Hey massive set, found your post and I just want to say it's a great idea.

I've put off grinding the 45 and 90 man SnG's for a while as I'm playing HU, but I think you're going to get a lot of support on this one.

The idea where you classify people based on their winnings is kind of cool too. Nice to see some new ideas out here

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 05:17 AM
(#3)
Hi Built-byTilt, thanks for dropping by

I definitely see what you mean. 190 wins over a 350 HU sample is quite impressive. Keep up the good work

I would like to clarify one thing though. The idea of the targets for this challenge isn't so much to classify people, more so to give us all something to aim toward. And for some (including myself ) something to arouse a little competitive spirit.

Since I've been involved in these forums and doing a little blogging I have actually noticed an improvement in my game. This improvement is also due to a number of other factors such as increased levels of study and determination. I do like the idea that I can assign some of my improvements to a little community spirit though The main idea here however is to have fun and get amongst it.

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 05:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2012
Where did you get my stats from? Just curious as I'm looking to purchase something that keeps track of my stats and also find out other people's if I want to.

And I completely agree that PSO forums are great for improving your game. I have found that my game has taken a big step from reading about other people's challenges, their hands, and how they take on challenges.

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:03 AM
(#5)
I use OPR and SharkScope. OPR is completely free and sharkscope give you 5 daily searches for free (more searches and features at a cost).

I almost exclusively use these two and I have never paid a cent. There are other sites available though.

To see non-profit results and profitability player data (ROI, ABI, Net Profit, etc) publicly a player has to opt-in. Also, you have to have opted-in yourself to see said information of other opted-in players. Sorry if that was a little convoluted

Good luck and good skill

Last edited by massive_set; Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:26 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:21 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
Hello Massive_set,

Cowboy challenge is great way to develop discipline. You might want to consider including "Time" as a factor in the challenge. I believe the original cowboy challenge gives you 1 month to complete the challenge. Good luck with your project!

Last edited by ggervacio; Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:23 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#7)
G'day ggervacio, thanks for showing some interest

I did consider time at first but I sort of forgot it as a factor by the end of my post . I think that one month is a good idea. Let's make it one month from the agreed starting date. If I get some players that is

Last edited by massive_set; Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
incorparating some kind of league would be a pretty kool idea if you could get enough people.

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
sure I'm in for 90 mans (25 cents), DO i start when ever or will we all be starting together (it will take me 5/6 weeks to complete but if you hoping to get it all done in a month I could give it a whirl.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:43 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2012
I'd be interested in this too.

Might give me a bit of focus.

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPoint View Post
incorparating some kind of league would be a pretty kool idea if you could get enough people.
Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on this idea a little for me ImpactPoint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
sure I'm in for 90 mans (25 cents), DO i start when ever or will we all be starting together (it will take me 5/6 weeks to complete but if you hoping to get it all done in a month I could give it a whirl.

Grade b
That won't be a problem Grade b, let's make it a 6 week challenge! Glad to have you on board. I would like to rustle up a little more interest before we get started though. Feel free to get some practice in though. Good luck and good skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I'd be interested in this too.

Might give me a bit of focus.
Awesome! Good luck and good skill bhoylegend.

Last edited by massive_set; Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 03:17 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:20 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
Practice sounds ike a good plan

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:08 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2010
Ok since i'm reviving the grind of One Time Big Time Team Challenge, if you will allow it i will join with 0.50 45 and 90 man challenge but it will take me sometime to sort it out as i'm running it only as a side event on my grind.

Good luck at the tables.

PH

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:36 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2012
on the league status.

If your playing say 100 games then give points by position finshed - ie 1st=1 point - 30th=30 points - lowest score wins league, and everyone ships a $1 or so to the winner?

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINOY_HITMAN View Post
Ok since i'm reviving the grind of One Time Big Time Team Challenge, if you will allow it i will join with 0.50 45 and 90 man challenge but it will take me sometime to sort it out as i'm running it only as a side event on my grind.

Good luck at the tables.

PH
Great to have you on board PINOY_HITMAN. You may play both the 45 and the 90. Do you think you could complete the 100 games within 6 weeks? Or maybe we could make it an 8 week challenge, I'm not too phased.

If we do make it a league type event then you may have to nominate either 45 or 90 man games though. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPoint View Post
on the league status.

If your playing say 100 games then give points by position finshed - ie 1st=1 point - 30th=30 points - lowest score wins league, and everyone ships a $1 or so to the winner?
I like this idea. As I don't want to exclude anybody perhaps this could be a 'sub challenge' or a 'league within the challenge'. Say 25 people want to join the challenge but only 18 wish to:
a)complete within 6 weeks
b)play 100 of the same events
c)contribute money to the prize pool

Then those 18 could do so whilst also competing in the original 50c challenge (same 100 events played).

Also, If we had enough people we could perhaps have a wider payout structure?

I like the idea of the scoring system but feel the points should be a little more heavily weighted toward the top end. Perhaps 1st =1. 2nd=2. 7th=7. FT = 9. <22 = 15. <32 = 20. >32 = 25?

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by massive_set; Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2010
OK. I'm going for 0.50 45 Man and will take note of 90 Man Tourney ID as i pop-up some of it during my grind.

Good Luck at the tables.

Keep me posted.

PH

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#17)
BUMP.

Still looking for players

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:04 AM
(#18)
Since: Jan 2010
Hi,

I’m up for this challenge. Only have two questions:

1.Can I compete in both 90 & 45 player categories?
2.Can I change my buy-in levels just before this challenge starts?

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeko View Post
Hi,

I’m up for this challenge. Only have two questions:

1.Can I compete in both 90 & 45 player categories?
2.Can I change my buy-in levels just before this challenge starts?
Sure, you can enter both the 45man and 90man categories. I may even do the same.

As long as its before the challenge starts feel free to change anything

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com