Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Open Skill AK Hand

Old
Open Skill AK Hand - Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hey,

I was just wondering if I should've played this hand more aggressive on my missed flop?

I decided to cbet 50% to keep my chips out of it, but regarding my stack, maybe I should've pushed harder?

Thanks!
Okapiboy

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Okapiboy!

The goal in any of the skill leagues is to last as long as possible in order to accumulate leaderboard points. I want to do this by playing very tightly, not taking chances and to not be all-in unless I'm sure that I'll be ahead after all five cards are on the board. It's much better to blind down in these and last longer, than it is to ever take a chance to build a stack with something marginal.

With AK on the button and two limpers, I'm going to make a standard raise for this blind level, to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'll raise to 500.

I totally miss the flop and when the opp checks to me, I'm going to check behind and hope to get an A or K on the turn. I do not want to bet here, as I'm not sure that I have the best hand and do not want to possibly give any chips away, as that can make me bust earlier in the tournament. Early exits in these tournaments needs to be 100% avoided whenever possible, as I can get negative league points for an early exit.

The turn pairs my king and the opp checks to me. Here, if I had checked the flop, I'd bet 1/2 pot on the turn. This way I can get value for my hand. However, with the pot bloated due to a c-bet on a missed board, I'll bet 700 here. I don't want to be all-in until I'm sure that I have the best hand after seeing the last card on the board.

Taking chances in these games and bluffing at missed boards is something that I do not want to do in these tournaments, because with every chip that I can hold onto, someone else can bust and earn me more league points.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Thank you. I'm still figuring the right mindset out for these Open Skills ones, but it'll get there.

But since I'm not competing for Leaderboard Points at the moment (I sent an email as per your instructions), could you treat this as a normal tournament?

I've shown aggressiveness, and I got a drawing hand, however mediocre, but he can't be drawing on anything, so I keep the pressure on him by cbetting. Is this amount (50%) right compared to what my goals are/my stack?

Thanks,
Okapiboy

Old
Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Okapiboy!

If this was a cash tournament, I'd make the same bet preflop. On the flop, I'd have two choices, either to check and see the turn or I'd have to shove becuase my standard c-bet against one opponent on a board like this is a 1/2 pot bet, BUT, this would be over 1/3 my stack, so since I'd be pot-committed, I'd shove.

Whether I checked or shoved would be based on my read of the opponent. If they're a calling station, I'm checking. If they're playing passively, I'm shoving.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com