Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Nice spot for a donk bet?

Old
Nice spot for a donk bet? - Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Took a weird line and decided to donk to build the pot and hopefully induce some more action. I thought a 1/2 pot donk would look pretty weak and fishy, and I don't think he could ever see me with a monster here.

Both villains are pretty taggy.

Would you guys have played it differently?

Last edited by birdayy; Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 03:03 AM..

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Donking is fine here, as you have a set, there's an ace on the flop, it's a really wet board, and it's multiway, so you're likely to get action. Villains oblige by raising, so this is an easy stack off. Sometimes you're gonna get over-setted by AA and JJ, or run into KQ, but mostly you're targeting AK, AQ, AJ.

Old
Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

Rather than being a weird line, I think donking out is the preferred play here tbh. Hate checking to the raiser as this is a board texture we loath to give a free card on, and with the pot being multi-way, the key hands we really don't want to give a free card too, KK/QQ, are likely to take one. While I would expect the preflop 3-bettor to bet for us with AK or AQ much of the time, when we donk out these holdings often feel compelled to raise to "protect their hand" (lol) and certainly top pair+nut flush draw might raise it up, so we can get stacks in right on the flop. Well played imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com