Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Moving up

Old
Moving up - Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
I have qestion about moving up the stakes. lets say on 1-2 dolars I am able to make 12 per 100 hands and on 2-4 dolars I only make 8/100hands. I heared from many people that in that case I should stay on lower stakes and keep making more money. But as I was for a while playing football (socer) it makes no sanse to me to play below my ability . is it similar to talling Sunday leag player who scores 100 goals a season that he shouldn't go pro because he will only get 20 a season?

I belive that if poker is not your main job you should move to higher stakes as soon as your bankroll alowes it and you can finish on + overall. I think that is only way to get better otherwise till the end of your day you are going to be a guy whu makes $12/100 hands on 1-2 stakes where otherwise with inicial "pay cut" you have chance to improve and in 2 years time be a guy who gets $50/100 hands on 5-10 stakes. However my logic is total oposit to what most people say here or on other poker forums. is there so flaw I can't see in my thinking?

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi there Feniks,

Bankroll management is a great thing to use to make sure you basically have no chance of ever loosing your roll, but if you feel confident enough to move up in stakes early i think you should do so, but obviously that always comes with a risk as you are putting in a lot of your bankroll into one game therefore i couple bad beats and a bad run can bust you.

I think if you are confident enough to go for the big cash on the higher stakes then i say go for it and try and win the big bucks

If your unsure on the correct bankroll management we have a tutorial on PSO

Hope this helps

Ads

Last edited by adsthepro777; Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
It helps a little bit. Qestion however isn't should I move on higher stakes withough bankrol with insuficient bankrol.
What I want to know is: If I earn more on lower stakes is it wise to move on higher stakes and earn less but face tougher oponents and that way improve my play and treat is as an investment. I am casual player and poker is mostly hobby/spare pkket money rather than main source of income.

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
You might not have played enough hands at the higher stake to judge how accurate your win rate is.
For me, I'd rather play softer games that produce a better $/hr figure, but you might find that if you keep taking shots at the higher stakes, your winrate doesn't fall that much in the long run.

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
If you're making more money for less risk I say the smart thing to do is stay at the lower stakes as your main game. There's nothing wrong with giving the higher stakes a shot every once in a while though but if you're not making more money I'd say the logical thing to do is stay at the lower games until you find you're making more in the bigger games. It's all risk vs reward.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com