Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hand analyse request

Old
Question
Hand analyse request - Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 AM
(#1)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Hi,

This is my first request for a hand analyse, so I hope I am doing everything right

The hand was played during one of the Premier Skill League Qualifiers with about 50 players left out of 139.

All players are relative tight, except for Villain #7. He played 57/12.

I had 13 bb's left and wanted to isolate Villain #7, or make everyone fold, and I went all-in. The result was that I lost.

My question is could I have avoided this? was it a correct play or should I have limped or raised it but not all in?

Any serious advice is welcome



Thx.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:49 AM
(#2)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
sorry I see its in the wrong forum but I dont know how to move it..

I will make a new topic in the correct forum.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#3)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
We do not have enough information to reply

What was your hand?

What was your position?

What did you lost with / to?

Grade b


I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:49 AM
(#4)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
We do not have enough information to reply

What was your hand?

What was your position?

What did you lost with / to?

Grade b
Strange, I inserted the replayer. You don't see it? I works fine for me.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#5)
Feniks1984PL's Avatar
Since: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
I'm no expert but in my opinion all in move after 4 lipers from BB with AK was mistake if you wanted to steal you could get this with standard 3 bet +1BB/limp. With AK you are slight underdog to any poket pair pre flop so it makes sense for them to call.
If you played it with initial 1000 bet, 44 from vilan 7 would still call it but I'm sure he would back off if you bet another 1000 on the flop with 2 overcards on the board.

As I said I'm not an expert and if any hand analyser says something different listen to them.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#6)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,831
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to HA and deleted the duplicate post since this post has replies. In the future, please only post something in one forum. If it needs moved, we'll gladly help. JWK24**


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner



Last edited by JWK24; Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:15 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#7)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,831
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DonV73!

With this being a league game, I have one and only one goal and that is to last as long as possible and this is even more important late in the month, as the penalties for an early exit are magnified!

With AKs in the bb, when it gets back to me after the 3 limpers, I'm going to check and see the flop for free, as I do not have a made hand. In a league game, especially late in the month and early in a tourney, I do NOT want all my chips in the middle unless I'm sure that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. I do not want to leave anything to chance, as it can cost me $$$ from the end of the month leaderboard.

This hand is a great example of where strategy for a league game is different from a cash tourney, as in a cash tourney, I'm shoving preflop, as a std raise would make me pot-committed... however, with this being a league tourney, I cannot afford to take this type of chance.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
(#8)
Prodigy237's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
BronzeStar
Hi DonV73,

In a standard tournament 'all in' here is absolutely the right play. You cannot 3bet +1BB for every limper with 13BB to start and you have got decent fold equity & premium suited hand.

In the Premier League the name of the game is survival [a quote from John aka JWK24] and amass as many points at the end of the month, so maybe check or min raise in this spot & re-evaluate post-flop.

On a personal note... I would shove here whether regular MTT or League game, but that's just me.

Good luck at the tables.

Prodigy

Last edited by Prodigy237; Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:58 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#9)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Thx for your replies so far guys, very usefull.. I appreciate it...hope to get some more replies though...

Last edited by DonV73; Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:01 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#10)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
We do not have enough information to reply

What was your hand?

What was your position?

What did you lost with / to?

Grade b
Sorry fault was on my end Firfox was not picking up the replayer,

sorry about that


I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#11)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feniks1984PL View Post
I'm no expert but in my opinion all in move after 4 lipers from BB with AK was mistake if you wanted to steal you could get this with standard 3 bet +1BB/limp. With AK you are slight underdog to any poket pair pre flop so it makes sense for them to call.
If you played it with initial 1000 bet, 44 from vilan 7 would still call it but I'm sure he would back off if you bet another 1000 on the flop with 2 overcards on the board.

As I said I'm not an expert and if any hand analyser says something different listen to them.


Hi feniks,welcome to the Forum.

Actually,if you look again,it's 3 limpers here,as the SB folds. But you raise an interesting point as to the all-in vs standard raise option here.

Were we to standard raise here,3x the BB (600)+ 1x for each limper (another 600...1x for each limper) we would be committing 1200 of our remaining 2735 chips,which puts us past the standard 1/3 commitment point.

Also,just standard raising here,given the effective stack sizes of the limpers,is NOT using our chips to their fullest advantage. If we shove here,we're putting max pressure on the players to follow,as we have fold equity against all of them. Just standard rasing instead of shoving is playing the hand with with one hand tied behind our back,so to speak.

And lastly,were we to standard raise and get called,then see a blanked flop for us...well,what do we do now? Would not want to ever be committing 44% of my stack just to fold post flop. That's a spew.

As framed here,by the OP,JWK is right on point. Given the parameters of a league game,checking behind pre and taking the free flop is the optimal play.

In any non satellite money tournament we should be shipping our stack pre flop all day long here.

Hope that helps.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
(#12)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Sorry fault was on my end Firfox was not picking up the replayer,

sorry about that
np at all I am glad you see it now.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
(#13)
DonV73's Avatar
Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Hi feniks,welcome to the Forum.

Actually,if you look again,it's 3 limpers here,as the SB folds. But you raise an interesting point as to the all-in vs standard raise option here.

Were we to standard raise here,3x the BB (600)+ 1x for each limper (another 600...1x for each limper) we would be committing 1200 of our remaining 2735 chips,which puts us past the standard 1/3 commitment point.

Also,just standard raising here,given the effective stack sizes of the limpers,is NOT using our chips to their fullest advantage. If we shove here,we're putting max pressure on the players to follow,as we have fold equity against all of them. Just standard rasing instead of shoving is playing the hand with with one hand tied behind our back,so to speak.

And lastly,were we to standard raise and get called,then see a blanked flop for us...well,what do we do now? Would not want to ever be committing 44% of my stack just to fold post flop. That's a spew.

As framed here,by the OP,JWK is right on point. Given the parameters of a league game,checking behind pre and taking the free flop is the optimal play.

In any non satellite money tournament we should be shipping our stack pre flop all day long here.

Hope that helps.
Thx for your explanation Moxie Pip. I think, when putting everythng together, this makes the most sense to me. Checking behind would have been the best option.
 
Old
Default
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#14)
joy7108's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,286
All the lessons teach you to be aggressive, then you have the PSO leagues. All of a sudden, aggression is the "wrong" strategy. Adapt to the game you're playing, this is a learned skill, PSO is a great place to practice.



Bracelet Winner


 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com