Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Not the best of times

Old
Not the best of times - Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
It's funny, but everytime I think I'm really really getting the hang of this game, I'm reminded in the most unfriendly manner that in the end, I obviously don't. The past week's been a disaster. I played some bad sessions, granted, but at the most crucial moments, luck favored the other guy. Aces, kings, Queens, Jacks, everything got cracked and destroyed over half of my winnings from the past 3 months.

So what is it with this game. Even when I'm playing my A-game, it appears to boil down to winning small pots and losing big ones. My big hands get cracked, or get no action at all. My medium hands don't improve, and everytime I hit a nice flop and hit it big, the other guy hits it bigger.

And so, once again, we're down to the fundamental question: is this just the mood talking? Theoretically, the answer is yes. Unless of course I'm nowhere near as good as I think I am (and believe me: I think I'm still pretty bad at this). And today was especially menacing. First I get my stack up to nearly a double buyin. Then I get pocket jacks, the guy who just lost a complete buyin shoves over my raise and I call. He could be tilting.... Nope, he has Ace king and naturally he hits it. At another table, I'm up half a buyin and I get pocket kings. The shorty shoves, I call. He flips over Ace Ten, and I don't have to tell you what shows up on the flop.... So I was up 160 BBs, played 2 huge pots as a favorite, and instead of being up 280 BBs, I'm down 40 for the day.

And so I find myself once again at the same point I was at a few months ago. I was having a great run, and within a week or so, it's all evaporated and we're back to square one. That's certainly not how it's supposed to be going, and certainly not much fun either. I'll keep playing a few more days to reach my free copy of HM2 and then take another week off or so. because right now, I need to get the negative thinking out of my head, and I find that hard when you keep getting smacked around by the board.

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Have some thoughts regarding the quote below. I don't really know anything about you or your play style so maybe doesn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post

So what is it with this game. Even when I'm playing my A-game, it appears to boil down to winning small pots and losing big ones. My big hands get cracked, or get no action at all. My medium hands don't improve, and everytime I hit a nice flop and hit it big, the other guy hits it bigger.
This may be a symptom of your play style. If you play too ABC and fit or fold, then your only going to get action when your behind. It has to do with balancing ranges. If your range is always completely unbalanced in every situation you make it much easier for your opponents to hand read. For example: If your only check-raise on flop with two pair+, and never as a semi-bluff or bluff, then your never going to get called/raised by worse hands. Only better ones.

I mean sure fishy players may never even consider what two cards you may be holding. Against them such a play style is actually better. Against tougher players though it results in winning lots of small pots and losing big ones when you refuse to fold your big hands when they finally fight back. If they have a good idea about the strength of your hand they are going to make sure they have good equity, be it pot equity or fold equity, before putting more money into the pot.

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Also, I completely understand how you feel right now. Last year I had a night where I lost about 8 buy-ins (multitabling 12-14 6max NL). Had AA cracked 5 times that night, each time getting stacked, 4/5 times I was ahead when the money got in.

Really hard to deal with that kind of brutal beatdown by Lady Luck. My game plan is generally to take a break, maybe few days to a week, and spend that time studying poker. Try to calm down, build my confidence back up, and hopefully advance my game some.

Old
Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
I wonder but I doubt it. I'm playing plenty of hands not just the premiums. That maybe part of the problem though.... Still, it's not like I have the nuts everytime I throw money into the pot yet they keep folding when I do have the monsters.

It's also a matter of having some bad luck with flops. When I have mediocre hands I hit a flop but I have the worst end of the kicker, when I do have a hand that would make a good pair/kicker, they fold or I hit 3rd pair. Maybe I'm just imagining the bit where they keep having the better pair if I hit the flop but it does seem that way...

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:57 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com