Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2 6max Nut straight on FLOP

Old
Question
NL2 6max Nut straight on FLOP - Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hello!

I have no reads on vilain. Played from my mobile device .
I think that vilain had the only hand I could loose to.
I put him on overpair or trips on river, but could not imagine that he could hold these two cards.

Please be so kind and analize my betsizing on flop and turn. And is my moves on river is correct?

EDIT: When replaying the hand again - I saw that vilain could have AT - but when played I did not see that possibility.

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I would have done a 8c raise for KQo pre flop but nothing too wrong with 10c

Flop you're betting pretty small, you're probably keeping plenty of hands like AQ in.
Of course larger bet on the flop could have worked well too if he had a set as he would have raised and you could have possibly managed to stack off while you were ahead. As it is keeping more of his range in rather than hoping for a cooler is probably going to be quite profitable.

On the turn you're probably losing a few hands with that bet but I agree with betting larger. You're going to get crushed by full houses, but overpairs at least are still going to call you down.

The river is a tough one. You bet small and he's raised you. Obviously AA,JJ,TT,99,AT all have you beat but he'll be making the same move a lot of the time with things like KQ and (less likely) AJ, and possibly as a bluff with KK or QQ (doubt that though).

Overall I don't think the fold is too bad here. The fact that he initially called on the button and then called your raise screams out middle-high pocket pair to me.

(I wrote all the above assuming that you folded to his reraise on the river, having not seen the end of the hand because my replayer bugged out and paused lol)

And now that I've finished watching the hand, looks like I really underestimated the size of the villain's hand range. Too much full ring and not enough 6 max play on my part perhaps. More likely he's an overly-fishy player.

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Pre flop I like your raise size like the above poster I would raise to 8c 3BB std open +1BB for the limper + 1BB being OOP but 5BB is fine. On the flop you need to bet way bigger. You flop then nuts so you should be trying to get all in by the river, a 1/3 pot bet is not helping you achieve this. I would bet around 18c as lots of worse hands can call. Similarly on the turn your bet is too small make it closer to 30c he can definately call with worse.

On the river I would bet around 35c, this is for thin value from worse hands but also to help you get to showdown without being blown off your hand. When he raises you on the river I would not be shoving as I think you will only get called by better hands and hands you chop with (KQ). Always consider when you bet are you betting for value or as a bluff. If it is for value, what worse hands will call.

That being said lets evaluate a call on the river...

He raises to a total of $1.24, you have to call $1.06 and the pot is $2.16 so you are getting a little over 2-1. This means when you call you have to win the pot around a third of the time, so you need to have around 33% equity against his range.

Against a fairly loose raising range of JJ-99, ATs, KQs, KTs, QTs, JTs, T9s, ATo, KQo you have 26% equity thus making it a fold. If you throw KTo into his raising range your equity goes up to nearly 34% thus a call, however I think that may be too loose a raising range QTs and KTs is possibly too loose to include anyway so I would make a disciplined fold.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 09:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi KKN,

He limp/calls from the button, good raise. Flop bet sizing is too small, .08c into .23. We have the nuts on a wet board where a lot of cards could kill our action, bet big here, closer to the size of the pot.

Turn bet sizing is too small as well, less than half the pot.

River you bet really small, .18c into .74, and the villain raises you big to $1.24. I think it's possible he's got a worse hand like AJ that thinks he's good because your bet sizing is so small, so we probably have to pay him off, but shoving all in I don't think is wise with a paired board and the villain making a big river raise... he could have any number of full houses... 99, T9, JT, AT. I would either fold or call this river action, but not reraise as the worse hands are likely to fold to it but full houses are not folding obviously.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 09:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimesis.is View Post
And now that I've finished watching the hand, looks like I really underestimated the size of the villain's hand range. Too much full ring and not enough 6 max play on my part perhaps. More likely he's an overly-fishy player.
And it's a 3 handed game to boot so ranges will be much wider. But limping the button with T9o is probably fishy.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com