Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 45man

Old
$1 45man - Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
i know was so lucky but was it right to push all in?

Old
Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:33 PM
(#2)

Last edited by hendo30; Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Hendo,

Preflop I would probably fold this hand. From the button or cutoff we could call. Reason being from the BB we are out of position which makes it hard to maximise profit when we hit our hand.

On the flop this out of position problem becomes apparent. Do we check to the raiser and hope he raises? Or do we donk bet into 3 other players on this flop and look strong?

I think with 3 players to act and the raiser being the next person I would probably check and hope the raiser or the last to act will raise for us and then check raise them. A read that one of them was a little on the aggressive side would help.

If we donk bet (bet into the preflop raiser) then I would make it half the pot. I think moving in means we will lose all our action most of the time, only thing going for it is it does look pretty bluffy. But both those hands should fold to your raise if they had any sense.

Crazy hand.

Btw you didn't get lucky you had the best hand when the chips went in.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't mind the call but hands like these can get you into so much trouble and as Andy says it's probably wiser just to fold pre flop and then you won't have those decisions to make.

Nice flop for you, against tricky opponents and players who can think then I'm taking Andy's approach but at micro stakes then I'm pot betting that flop for a few reasons. Players at micro stakes can't fold and they chase without odds. By pot betting you don't give them odds and also charge a premium for your holdings.

With so many limpers in this hand they can have any combination. Sets, flush draws, top pair and 2 pair all could be out there. Charge a premium as all those hand types above can and will call. I don't mind getting our chips all in here but only after a pot raise and to a 3 or 4 bet. I can then make my decision on whether to get my chips all in depending on my opponents and reads. Playing it this way will win us more chips long term but can also lose us less chips in the rare occasions we can work out we're behind.

With the turn card making a higher flush possible then I'm putting the brakes on. I can get away from this hand and save my tournament life.

We got our chips in ahead in this instance so that's good but it's not a long term +ev play. This brings me back to my starting hand selection. Hands like this can be profitable if played in the right way. Work on your basics first before throwing hands like this into the mix. As Andy says position is so important so I'd work on that before trying to play hands like this out of position. The small blind and big blind should be the spots where you lose most chips. Just fold pre flop here and save yourself for better spots.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:00 PM
(#5)
thanks for the advice guys much appreciated!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com