Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Feb 23, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi!

I'm new to pokerschoolonline. I was just wondering if I qualify for the promotion.

Thanks!
Justin

Old
Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi justinlee123,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#3)

I had Ace Jack off suit. I raised preflop. I didn't hit anything and someone raised with a Queen on the board. I folded because if someone had the Queen, I would require an Ace to beat them. Did I make the right play in folding or should I have called because his/her raise was small? How do you determine when it is worth the risk of calling and when it isn't?

Thanks,
Justin

Old
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Justin!

With AJ I have a limp, then a min raise. I'll make a 3-bet here and size it at 3X the previous bet (a standard raise is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise), so I'll bet 12 chips.

I see the flop 6-ways and totally miss. There is a min bet (really abnormal, as post-flop bets should be sized according to the size of the pot, not the BB amount). Honestly, even though I'm priced in, will answer your ? at the end, I'm going to muck here. Even if I get a J or an A, I may still be behind, so I'll save my chips for a better situation.

Here is how to determine whether or not you're priced in for a draw. First, you need to know the pot equity that you'll have, which is 'how many chips i need to call' divided by 'the size of the pot after my chips would go into it'. This % is my pot equity.
I then need to know how many outs I have and since each out is worth 2% equity per street (I can only count 1 street if I'm not all-in), I multiply that to get my hand equity %.

If the pot equity % is higher, I need to muck. If my hand equity % is higher, I should call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have attended the training session (or if the timing of it doesn't work for your time zone).

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 02, 2013, 03:20 PM
(#5)
I have attended the training session

Old
Sat Mar 02, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi justinlee123!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Once you have passed this quiz and attended the live training, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 04:10 PM
(#7)
Hi John,

I passed the Poker Basics quiz and also attended the 'Bet Sizing' live training session.

Looking forward to playing some cash games!

Justin

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi justinlee123!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in.

John

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#9)
Hi John,

I have received the $2. Thanks so much!

I will play on the 1/2 cent full ring table. Do there have to be 9 players or are 9 seats good enough (having empty seats)?

I was wondering, what else do I have to do to obtain the $8?

Thanks again!
Justin

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:48 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Justin!

Please try to find one with 9 players if at all possible. Having more players means you don't have to pay the blinds quite as often, so you can be more patient at the tables and not play marginal hands. It will help you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#11)
Hi John,

Should I have called or folded with Ace four suited after some guy raised 7x the big blind?

Thanks,
Justin

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 07:21 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlee123 View Post
Hi John,

Should I have called or folded with Ace four suited after some guy raised 7x the big blind?

Thanks,
Justin
Hi Justin

I think folding as you did was best. A4s is a speculative hand. With hands like this we want to flop a flush or straight draw. Flopping top pair often results in having the second best hand becuase of our low kicker.

With speculative hands, the key is to see the flop cheaply, and preferably against many opponents. Normally we miss the flop and have to fold. But when we hit, we have a chance of winning a large pot. Limping behind as you did was perfect. You were in decent position, many opponents and seeing the flop cheaply. When the btn raised to 15 cents, the other opponents folded, you will be out of postion post flop and it is no longer cheap. You will not win often enough to make calling profitable.

Aslo, note that stack sizes are important when playing speculative hands. We want to have a deep stack and be playing against deep stacks. This improves our implied odds. Against a shortish stack, the maximum we can win is much less than when deep stacks are involved. In this spot neither you nor the villain are deep.Deep would be having more than 100bb stacks.

Good Fold!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 07:54 AM
(#13)
Thanks Roland!

I couldn't have made an awesome play like that without the help of all you guys training me!

What's the next step?

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 09:28 AM
(#14)
Hi guys,

I tried the 'Cash Game' quiz and received this message that is contradicting to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Could you please help clarify the meaning? It says I need 70% or more to pass. I received 72% but they said I failed. Here's the message:

Thank you for attempting the NL-Cash.

You have answered 72% of the questions correctly. 70% are necessary to pass the quiz. You can try again in 24 hours.

Good luck!

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
(#15)
I just lost 80 cents

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi justinlee123!

Please do not try to do things out of order. It will only make this process take much longer. I do not show that you have passed this quiz, so please wait 24 hours and then go back into it.

It's time to now attend the Cash Basics live training session.

Also, study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz and attended the live training session, post back here and we'll continue.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 02:09 AM
(#17)
Hi John,

I have attended the live "Cash Basics" training session as well as successfully completed the "Cash Game" quiz.

Thanks,

Justin

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Congrats on passing the quiz! Your second buy-in will now be awarded within 24 hours.

Use all that you have learned so far to again play some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Remember not to use Bankroll Builder money for any games other than 1/2c cash tables only.

Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#19)
Thanks! I have received the $2.

Here's the play that worked in my favor, but I was wondering if I took too big of a risk that wasn't necessary and should not be done in the future. I had absolutely nothing and I sensed weakness and bluffed him out of the hand. Was this good or bad (I know it was good in this situation because he folded, but in a general situation, what should be done)? Should I have even called his raise pre-flop?

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by justinlee123; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi JustinLeee23, I'll take a look at this A9 hand.

A9 can be a troublesome hand, because it doesn't flop good draws, and even when you make top pair with the ace, you can have kicker trouble and end up getting taking to valuetown by AT+. Until you've got some more experience post-flop, and have picked up reads/notes on your opponents so you know their ranges and styles, I'd recommend folding it to a raise when you're in the SB, as you'll be out of position playing a guessing game post-flop.

As played, you called and the flop was a K86 two-tone. Normally, you'd check-fold here to any bet as you completely missed. I'd also expect villain to make a continuation bet almost all the time. When he checks, he's usually bricked, with no pair or draw, but occasionally he'll be slowplaying a monster. He might have a hand like QJs, AQ, or 99 and doesn't feel like getting committed (he's very short-stacked) with a marginal holding.
So you get a free card. The 2c is about as blank as it can get. I quite like a small bluff here. Sometimes you actually have the best hand, but you can also represent the king, as you would typically check to the raiser on the flop. 6c into 15c is fine. I'd prefer 7c or 8c, as anything less than half pot can look very weak, but when bluffing we always want to bet the minimum amount that we expect will cause villain to fold. It's hard for a hand like AQ/AJ or an underpair to call a half pot bet, as villain probably thinks he has only 2 or 3 outs against Kx.
If villain calls or raises you here, you should be done with the hand.

So I like the way you played this. Stabbing an an "orphan" pot is a good move to make when you think you can take it down.

You also asked some good questions in your post, so it seems you're thinking about strategy. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com