Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl QQ cracked by rock with 44 with a LAG bloating the pot. How should I play it?

Old
2nl QQ cracked by rock with 44 with a LAG bloating the pot. How should I play it? - Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013

Villain 1 is laggy but doesn't play garbage cards. Will barrel two streets if he misses and doesn;t mind pot size bets to knock his opponents off a hand.

Villain 3 is a rock. he just sits there till he gets broadway cards. Will fold on the flop if he misses. Will call/bet/raise if he hits. Played quite a few tables with him and never seen him play mid or small pocket pairs.

Viallain 4 looks like a bit of a rock too. Doesn't play many hands.

Pre flop I just call. I sometimes raise in this position but didnt want villain 1 to know I was on a big hand. I was expecting villain 3 & 4 to fold in the blinds. Was surprised to see them call.

Flop is 4c 5d 5h and I think great. Villain 1 c bet's pot like clockwork and I call. He'd have minimum 78s, 89s, doesn't play raggy A's but may have A8 up, KTo, JTo, that kind of thing. So I call thinking he's got air and thinking that i'll play back at him and try and take the pot down on the turn.

Villain 3 check/calls which again surprised me. I discount any cards of different rank and put him on a pocket pair, but 88, 99 up. Villain 4 folds, no surprise.

Turn comes 8d and Villain 1 bets ~70% pot. My read is that he's just doing what he does and I put him on bluff, A8, 78s for straight draw, or over pair. Perhaps a flush draw but unlikely. If he had AA, KK, even JJ I think he would have raised harder pre flop. My instinct was to shove here to get him to call with worse or to fold with air or a weak draw and take down the pot.

I didn;t really know what to think of villain 3. The board didnt reflect any of his range. He had position on me and I didn;t really know what to do. I thought maybe he has 88 but unlikely. So I took a punt and shoved based mnainly on my pretty strong feelings of villain 1. In the end Villain 3 calls, villain 1 folds, and I found out I got owned.

So, preflop on the button, with two rocks in the blinds, should I raise? How much? If they had already acted I would probably have raised to .14/.16 something like that to try and thin the field. Is this right? Should I be trying to thin the field with QQ? Or should I be trying to disguise my strength which I chose to do.

Post flop, what do I do out of position (in relative terms) to someone who calls on a previous street when I'm not expecting them to and I'm finding it hard to figure out what hand they might have? Should I have figured it out?

Was shoving OK on the turn? Should I have just called to wait and see what villain 3 did? I would have had less than a 1/2 pot bet left on the river if I'd taken this line and i'd be playing for my stack anyway if the card comes J or under (assuming no 6 or diamond).

Or should i fold to a guy who serially two barells when I am pretty sure I have a better hand (because I don;t know what villain 3 had)?

Last edited by itsandrew1; Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old
Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi andrew,

First, 3b the LAG's open all day long with QQ. If he's opening loose aggressive then you should already be 3-betting him often enough that he can't put you on a premium pair anyway, so flatting for deception isn't necessary. Even if you don't 3b much, he's probably not paying that much attention to it.

Quote:
So I call thinking he's got air and thinking that i'll play back at him and try and take the pot down on the turn.
If V1 has air, you don't want to make him fold, you want to bluff off more chips to you.

Quote:
Villain 3 check/calls which again surprised me. I discount any cards of different rank and put him on a pocket pair, but 88, 99 up.
Why not 44 or 55? You invited them in by flatting preflop, rocks LOVE to set mine for cheap so any pocket pair can be his range, and given your call of the LAG's c-bet, he's not over calling with 22/33 and probably not 66/77. 88 maybe, 99+ probably. 44/55 obviously.

Quote:
I didn;t really know what to think of villain 3. The board didnt reflect any of his range.
But it most certainly did. Rocks always call cheap preflop with small pairs looking to flop a set... the set mine is a staple play of the rock.

Your best bet is to probably call the turn as check-raising both costs you value against the LAG by folding out his air AND traps you for your stack against the rock when he flopped full or quads.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com