Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl Zoom - Check raising the turn BvB.

Old
10nl Zoom - Check raising the turn BvB. - Mon Feb 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I've had one or two spots like this recently, in this specific spot I'm less bothered about my actual cards but rather the range of the villain.

On the flop I think I can barrel and get lots of hands to fold as he is less likely to have hit because of the paired board and also due to wider ranges BvB.

On the turn however I didn't think it was a good card to barrel as it didn't bring any fold equity. However I wasn't completely ready to give up on the hand. He would likely check the turn behind small pairs 22-99 and weak draws such as A5. I think his betting range would be all pairs TT+, trips, sets flopped boats etc... but also flop floats such as KQ AJ KJ etc.

Given that his range is fairly wide is this a good spot to x/r given that it is a very strong action and he has a lot of highcard hands in his range?

The villain in this hand seems to be loose aggressive but the sample size is fairly small (38 hands) 42/33/14.3 AF 2.7 Afq 53. Given this villain type do we think this profitable, but also against what other villain types would this x/r be profitable against?

Cheers

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:30 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi Oli,

I usually dont like plays like this too much since they may look more bluffy to most villains than a standard turn barrel would. You dont really represent a lot of strong hand combos here and in a blind on blind situation where ranges are typically wide people may be a lot more suspicious.

Also, you are risking more to win less effectively so this play has to work a little more often and your read has to be pretty accurate that this guy is on a lot of pure floats with overs/Ax. Add that he is still in position on you and may feel tempted to peel one more card with draws/1 pair hands and see what you do on the river.

On this turn I would usually just x/f with the weakest overcard hands in my range.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com