Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How do you feel about players who sit out of a tourniment?

Old
Question
How do you feel about players who sit out of a tourniment? - Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi all,

Some people abdsolutely hate them, others are like well its part of the game.

How do you feel when playing a game with a player who is sitting out?

Now some never start the game and some get a big stack in a sng and then sit out.

Does it bug you or are you ok with it?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Grade b!

The way I look at it.... it's their loss. They're losing out on the opportunity to gain chips and if that's the way they want to be, so be it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hey Grade b!

The way I look at it.... it's their loss. They're losing out on the opportunity to gain chips and if that's the way they want to be, so be it.

John (JWK24)

Agree with this 100% and just want to add...when it comes to sitters,I'm never thinking about THEM,I'm thinking about their CHIPS and how many of them I can get.

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#4)
Who cares about what you or others think of them? It will happen under the current system so adapt. Poker is all about adapting and failure to do so is -EV.

Good decisions

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#5)
ty you 3 (joe relipy as i was writing)
I know that Taunto_88 disagrees as i was at his table while he was complaining, I feel well a bit split i find it hard playing say 3 handed with the big stack sitting out, knowing you are playing for 1st or 3rd, yet at the same time as someone who reged for two tournies knowing i could not make the start time i have empathy for those who sit out at the start.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Personally, there are only two reasons I would sit out. Either I have to leave the house for some reason, or I'm so tired I think sitting out is better than playing.

I always wonder if players sit out because they're scared of losing all their chips if they play. Being really tilted from another game could be a reason, but not playing at all has to be -EV. You could be folding a hand that would develop into quads or a royal.

I've gotten used to lots of sitters in large freerolls, but I can't say that I like it when I am playing a big tourney and end up being heads up because everyone is sitting. On the other hand, having a table full of sitters is a licence to steal, and I have run deep occasionally when I was fortunate enough to have a table of nothing but players sitting out.

Long story short, it's just another thing to adjust to in the game. They will be there so learn how to deal with them.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:17 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm OK with people sitting out. Free chips for everyone.

What I don't agree with is sites that don't show you who's sitting
out or when a player is sitting out and is all in yet their hand is turned over and played when it should go in the muck.

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
(#8)
no problem with sitting out gives everyone else a chance to gain more chips

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:30 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
The only time I feel confident raising is when everyone folded to me and my left is sitting out. ;P so yes sitting out is great by me. Sometimes a good strategy if I'm feeling too 'lucky' to remove the temptation to go all in against some rubbish in OSL.

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:09 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I see sitters as players who will be splashing the pot. They are not a danger to me.

Like it, no. I cannot get more of their chips whenever I'm in the pot. However, the reverse is true, they cannot take mine.

The flip side is that many times these players are the exceptionally lucky in that game. They know their stack is enough to make the money and see no reason to endanger a winning finish.

Can remember one player taking out five players with a one-out river that hit. His first comment was something like "I'll make the money by sitting out, so I'm playing another game." His stake took him to third and I made it to second.

Of course, that is the one reason that makes sense if you're trying to make some profit in a game. I see other players sit out games due to connection troubles, forgetting to unregister, leaving for work, or the perception that the game is slow.

I like PokerStar's explanation. They paid for the seat and can do with it as they please. A player who sits out the game is doing no more than folding every hand. If you saw a player sit out every hand until blinded out, do you blame him for a rotten run of cards? Heck, I've wanted to play and got nothing every hand in a game or two too. I've had a run or two where my best hand is something from group seven. And I'm talking live game, not the play chip online game.

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:58 PM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2013
It's alright if they sit out. It would be nice if they could all be at one table though.

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:21 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelstar1 View Post
It's alright if they sit out. It would be nice if they could all be at one table though.
Hi shelstar1! Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

Why? Then you can't get any free chips from them.... which is the whole goal.. free chips.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi shelstar1! Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

Why? Then you can't get any free chips from them.... which is the whole goal.. free chips.

John (JWK24)
Here is where I fall down, in my attempt to pick up free chips i play differantly to how i would and almost always get burnt.

so now I try to just play my normal game and if i get bonus chips all well and good.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
I wish I could play heads up SnGs vs a player that was sitting out. Raise and take ftw!
I don't really have a problem with sitters in bigger tourneys. Their strategy might be enough to get some league points, but they are missing out on profitable spots, like when they get dealt AA but auto-fold it.
Even playing 3% of hands is better than 0%. As the old saying goes, "You've got to be in it to win it."

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com