Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Cash game help....!

Old
Cash game help....! - Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hello to all my fellow PSO users.

I need some help and advice on cash table play.

How do you find inspiration to sit at a cash table NLHE,
have the patience, when there is no challenge as I see it.

I do not mean, no challenge as in no good players, I just mean the fact that there is no end or beginning to cash play.

As in tournament play, I have a beginning and an end, getting to the end been the challenge.

Increasing blinds, making it a game...

Where as in cash play there is no increase, and sitting there waiting for aces can be done more than in a tourney.

Putting it simply, cash tables bore the hell out of me,
I tend to push far to easily and often lose my buy in because of this.

Now maybe, it is because 1c 2c blinds, even 2c 5c blinds,
is just not enough to get the motivation going....

So any advice appreciated....

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Back before Black Friday, I well understood your situation. You wonder why sit there. You cannot force a player you don't like out of the game and there is nil chance of him moving. You get the feeling of being the Black Queen from Alice in Wonderland.

Here's a trick I used to help me keep focused on the game. Use a kitchen timer and set it for a specific time. I used one hour and did not allow myself to rebuy on the table. If the timer went off, the next BB was my last hand. I took a break of an hour to clear my mind. If I had a profitable session, I added time, ten minutes. A loss reduced my time by ten minutes if I was over the hour and ended my day at rings if I was at one hour.

And that is why they call it a "ring game," Holdem. You keep going around the table without end. Same thing happens live.

PS:
for those wondering, the Black Queen is quoted as saying "the hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I forgot to comment on the game limit.

Back when I played cash, I found those low stakes was a great deal of play, but it generated very little VPPS. I could go an entire hour and earn less than a quarter point. It felt like forever to earn the points needed to qualify in the PSO next month at that rate.

It wasn't smart bank roll management, but I played the 5-cent/10-cent limit games. Those games guaranteed me a better chance at the VPPS needed since one caller equaled rake.

Think the site changed how rake is allocated, so you might have to experiment. Play an hour at e game and see how many points you earned. Keep going up until you find a game within your monetary limit that offers the most VPPS. You might have to consider something other than no limit too.

Old
Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
I forgot to comment on the game limit.

Back when I played cash, I found those low stakes was a great deal of play, but it generated very little VPPS. I could go an entire hour and earn less than a quarter point. It felt like forever to earn the points needed to qualify in the PSO next month at that rate.

It wasn't smart bank roll management, but I played the 5-cent/10-cent limit games. Those games guaranteed me a better chance at the VPPS needed since one caller equaled rake.

Think the site changed how rake is allocated, so you might have to experiment. Play an hour at e game and see how many points you earned. Keep going up until you find a game within your monetary limit that offers the most VPPS. You might have to consider something other than no limit too.

Thank you Cairn for the wisdom as per normal. A timer sounds a great plan.

And I am not playing cash nlhe on stars yet , but the sister sight. I have recently found I can turn off all the cheesy stuff to make it look a plainer game.

And yes I do know what you mean with the VPP's.

I thank you and I will try that, although I still may have some problem seen any point to ring games.

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Patience is something you can learn just like everything else. When you know how to beat the cash tables you WANT to sit there for hours because it's challenging when you constantly get into situations where you really have to concentrate and analyze to make the best move. Also, if you sit there with just one or even two tables, I can definitely understand that things tend to get boring pretty quick. Try to play three or four tables, keep calm, and keep track of the fish and their tendencies.

Old
Smile
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:36 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feskprins View Post
Patience is something you can learn just like everything else. When you know how to beat the cash tables you WANT to sit there for hours because it's challenging when you constantly get into situations where you really have to concentrate and analyze to make the best move. Also, if you sit there with just one or even two tables, I can definitely understand that things tend to get boring pretty quick. Try to play three or four tables, keep calm, and keep track of the fish and their tendencies.

Thank you feskprins, I have stuck to the single table, but stayed calm and seem to be doing ok at the moment, with very little or no tilt involved.
I am starting to see the challenge in cash play, and have come across some good players.
I soon have realised that there is serious bucks to be won, if one plays it cool and sticks to BRM.
I am playng a limited amount of games, which is also helping me.

I am also avoiding the 1c-2c BB's, and have a preferrred play at 2c-5c BB's or sometimes 5c-10c BB's.

I will hopefully maintain a steady pace now, and maybe in a couple of month's, once I have no uncertainty in my discipline, I will then try to play 2 tables at once.

I do still refuse to use a HUD, and this is a problem for me when multitabling.

I find it hard to read several tables at once.

Thank you GL

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com