Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
WhiteStar
Hello,
Station4hire here. I signed up for Pokerschoolonline in November and was wondering if I qualify for this promotion.

Thanks,
Station4hire

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by station4hire View Post
Hello,
Station4hire here. I signed up for Pokerschoolonline in November and was wondering if I qualify for this promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi station4hire,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#4)
WhiteStar
Thank you Paul and John, I will get right to work on my requirements. I plan on attending tonight's beginner live training at 8:00 pm, and will try to generate a hand worthy of review at the play money tables. Pretty dry last night, tons of folding.

Old
Did I overbet on the end? - Wed Feb 27, 2013, 03:30 PM
(#5)
WhiteStar

Did I not get as much value form this hand as I could have?

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi station4hire!

With QQ (or any other hand I'm going to open-raise with), I'll make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I'll raise to 6BB or 12 chips.

I see a 7-way flop and hit top set (with possible straight draws). When it folds to me, while I'd like to be able to bet enough so that the opps wouldn't get the correct odds to draw to beat me, with 7 opp's, I can't. Due to this, I'll make a pot-sized bet of 85, which is the best I can do.

The turn is an A (that completes one of the straight draws). With only two opps, when it checks to me, I'll bet 2/3 the size of the pot (187 chips).

The opps fold and I take down the pot. Sometimes, it's better just to take down the pot right then and there, instead of betting smaller and giving the opps the correct odds to outdraw me. If I were to do that, then if I get drawn-out on, it's not that the opp gets lucky, it'd be my own fault for giving them the correct odds.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi station4hire!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#8)
WhiteStar
Thanks John,
I assume from your assessment of the hand I replayed above, that the only "mistake" I made was betting a little too small on the flop, 65 vs 85, and potentially missed out on roughly 40 chips in added equity.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi station4hire!

Yeah. IMO, I think you missed a bit of value on the flop (plus took a chance that an opp could get priced in for a +EV draw), but other than that, I think you played the hand well.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Poker basics course quiz has been taken - Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:41 PM
(#10)
WhiteStar
and passed.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:15 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi station4hire!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 03, 2013, 01:54 PM
(#12)
WhiteStar
Thanks John,
The $2.00 came through on Friday and I had already attended the Bet sizing training on Wednesday, I also attended the "Cash Basics" and "The Wednesday Game" as they followed one after the other from the "getting Started" training you had instructed me to take.

This hand is a prime example of my going too far in a hand. History: I had taken down 4 of the last five hands with early aggression with no resistance and my thinking was that villain was just not going to take it anymore. Did I apply too much "high level" thinking to him and just given up the hand early, even preflop?

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:03 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by station4hire View Post
Thanks John,
The $2.00 came through on Friday and I had already attended the Bet sizing training on Wednesday, I also attended the "Cash Basics" and "The Wednesday Game" as they followed one after the other from the "getting Started" training you had instructed me to take.

This hand is a prime example of my going too far in a hand. History: I had taken down 4 of the last five hands with early aggression with no resistance and my thinking was that villain was just not going to take it anymore. Did I apply too much "high level" thinking to him and just given up the hand early, even preflop?
Hi there station4hire!

Preflop I strongly suggest simply folding 105o. It is just too weak and will not be profitable in the long run. Ask yourself, what are you hoping to flop? Moreover, lets look at the situation. The villain opens with a raise from early position. EP raises, are rarely bluff, and typically the top end of ones range. He has a real hand. The villain is deep stacked, you will have a harder time pushing him out of the hand, AND it may be an indication that he is a decent player. Thirdly, you are in the bb and will be out of position all hand. Finally, you had taken down 4 of the last 5 hands. If the villain is paying attention, he may very well assume you are loose aggressive and bluffing too much. He might not give your bets/raises much respect. Remember, you have a table image too!

As played, check-calling the flop is ok. You couldnt ask for a better flop, but you still do not have a made hand. However, your hand has been a bluff from the start. I may have check-raised the flop as a semi-bluff. This will win the pot for you fairly often now. However, if you get called, you need to slow down and check-fold if you miss the later streets.

You miss the turn. So, I would opt for pot control. By leading with a bet, you give the villain the option to raise forcing you to fold. I would have check-called again. It looks passive, but still seems your safest choice.

On the river, I would not recommend leading with such a large bet. It is unlikely the villain will fold judging by his line all hand. Middle pair with a weak kicker might have showdown value if the villain held AK or something, but is not strong enough to build the pot even more with.

Remember, this should have been an easy fold preflop.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thanks Greg, - Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:24 PM
(#14)
WhiteStar
You are certainly correct that 105o should be an easy fold preflop and I was considering my table image in making the call. I just hadn't considered it for the later streets. My thought process was that he was "stealing" my blind because I had stolen his and three others. I certainly should have waited for a better starting hand.

Thanks for the help.

Station4hire

Old
Busted out with 9.69 VPP earned - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
(#15)
WhiteStar
After painstakingly building my roll to $7.08 I went into freefall this week and was busted finally by this hand:

flopped two pair and thought for sure I was good. K on the turn and I was more concerned that I might be looking at the possibility of a set (although the preflop raise from the SB felt like a pure steal). I did not expect to see the straight. It has been a frustrating week. Getting flopped sets cracked by inferior pre flop holdings on three separate occasions. I think my biggest takeaway is to remember that players of our level (micro stakes) are, for the most part, fairly straight forward and if they say they have it with their betting, they most likely do. It just gets tiresome waiting for that good pocket hand (not the J9 in this example) and it not pay off..
total VPP earned 9.69...arrrgggg...

What next?

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi station! It sounds like you've learned some good stuff, so I can see you becoming a profitable player if you keep studying and playing.

Blind vs Blind is always a tricky situation, as a competent villain will raise as a steal here very often, so his range is farily wide. That said, you're right to think that most 2NL players are straightforward. If they make a raise, they usually have a decent hand. It's really close between a call and a fold here. I'd be inclined to call, because I have decent post-flop skills and I'd also have position on this player, but there's no shame in folding, as J9o is a tricky hand to play.
You call and get a great flop. Top 2 pair is a monster hand. Villain bets close to pot. It looks like he hit the board, or has an overpair. You make a solid raise, which is great. I'd be looking to stack off here, because in BvB, villains will get their money in quite light (e.g. TPTK), because they think you have nothing. Villain calls the raise and the turn brings a king.
There's a small chance villain just improved to a better two pair or even a set. A straight is possible too, but villain shouldn't usually be calling your flop raise with QT, as stacks are quite short, meaning he doesn't have great implied odds. (With QT, and 8 outs, he'd be calling 20c, but the maximum profit he can make is only about 4 times that. It's not a good idea to chase draws if you can't win a big pot on the river.)
You make the only good play on the turn and that's to go all in. Villain snap calls with his straight and has you drawing very slim. This is pretty brutal.
I don't think you made any mistakes here. Villain made quite a loose call when he didn't have good odds to do so, and he got very lucky. Well played, sir!

A mod will tell you what the next step for you will be.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 04:44 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Step Two

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 2 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
2) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Three reasons for making a big bet - Sun Mar 31, 2013, 02:49 PM
(#18)
WhiteStar
To put a lot of pressure on our opponents.
To protect our hand against strong draws.
To gain value from our very strong hands.

I have finished the Cash game course and passed the cash game quiz.

Thanks John,
James

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Fantastic station4hire!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks for the analysis Arty - Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#20)
WhiteStar
and the kind words. Good to know that at least one of my big loss hands wasn't too poorly played by me.

Thanks again,
James

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com