Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl KQo Was I right to call down to the river?

Old
2nl KQo Was I right to call down to the river? - Wed Feb 27, 2013, 02:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013

I only had played 4 hands at the table so I have no data on the villain except that he folded the first three then he lead out 3x ie. didn't limp.

What I am not sure of is if I played this hand correctly ie. did I play the hand too passively. Should I have raised at any point? I think his river bet was to weak to fold to.

Thanks,

Andrew

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
hi andrew, villain's bet size is smallish which could be an indication of weakness/draw. I think I might raise the turn to charge his draws and if called, check back rivers. I think it would be the same amount as you'd call two streets turn + river. Instead we can make sure he does not draw out on us and if we are behind we can always fold if he comes on top since we don't have much room to improve anyway.

As played, im calling his river with that bet size.

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Yo bro,

At first glance this seems a call but I'm not entirely sure so I'm going to break it down a bit.

OTR you are getting a really good price due to his small river bet, also I think this sizing gives a lot away about his hand strength. After you've called 2 barrels if he holds KJ or AQ he won't be betting this small, he's going to be going for value with a bigger bet. This makes me think he holds lots of weaker-medium stength hands, I think his after his river bet is something like KK-TT,AKs,KQs,QTs,AKo,QTo. Against this range you have 22.4% equity (pokerstove it )

He bets 0.26 into 0.67 so we can calculate the equity you need to call using the equation x/(x+y) where x is the amount we must call, and y is the pot before our call.

0.26/(0.26+0.67)=0.218 So you need around 21.8% equity. If my ranging is correct then this is a call. I must say I'm surprised to see he showed up with 88, I guess some players will always baffle me.

[Note that I didn't include AT in his range as I wasn't sure he would double barrel the turn with AT. If you would assume this is the case then he could well make this bet otr with AT in which case it's a fold]

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
hi andrew, villain's bet size is smallish which could be an indication of weakness/draw. I think I might raise the turn to charge his draws and if called, check back rivers. I think it would be the same amount as you'd call two streets turn + river. Instead we can make sure he does not draw out on us and if we are behind we can always fold if he comes on top since we don't have much room to improve anyway.

As played, im calling his river with that bet size.
Hey geo, thanks for the comments.

Andrew

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
(#5)
Thanks Oliver. Great feedback, and thanks for the pointer to pokerstove.

Andrew

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:45 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi andrew,

Villain bets half the pot on the flop and 60% of the pot on the turn, I think at this point I'm feeling uneasy about the hand as this is a pretty strong 2nd barrel. I don't like raising the turn here for that reason, but if I did it would be the last money I'd put in this pot generally (folding to a reraise, and checking down the river if called). I think calling is fine here though, to use our positional advantage to both see what the river card is and how he reacts to all this.

His small bet sizing on the river (<40%) is generally good news. It inclines me to think he doesn't like the ace, which rules out hands like AT+ or nut flush draws, a lot of hands in his range that would be beating us. Given this and the price, I think it's a call. We're still losing to KK but beating most everything else not in the above named range (still possible he could have one of those, and be mak ing the smaller bet out of fear you won't like the ace and won't pay off as easily). So I agree with calling here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:25 PM
(#7)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
I think it's fine the way you played it. Raising can easily put you in a sticky spot. On the river, his small bet gives you good odds to call down and I think it's even better because you don't have much history or hands against this player so you got to start somewhere.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#8)
Thanks for the feedback Dave.

And thanks too Randy.

It was really helpful.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com