Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Building bankroll

Old
Question
Building bankroll - Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi
I have a few questions about building bankroll.
First I would like to say Im not new at poker I was playing at full tilt poker year ago but I lost all my money (I was not disciplined so after few lost buy-ins I went into 10/25NL and lost )
I dont think Im bad player I just have problems with loosing my roll..
So now I have deposited 20 dollars and used the FREE20 code so now I have 40...
What should I play? I like cash games very much but I lose here and its because its easy to take more and more money to table you know..
So I think I will stick to the rule of 60 buy-ins for cash games and 100 buy-ins for sng's and MTT is that good?
Should I play the 0.25 SNG's? I think they are waste of time prizes are low and only for the first 7 .. played 4 of those today and lost all ..but at least in 3 of them I was at the final table
On the other hand there is not much more to play for me.. only the 50c ones but thats almost the same ..
I think Im good at the MTTs but thats very time consuming and I have just 2 or 3 hours day for playing poker ..
So if you have any ideas I will love to read them
Thanks for your help.

Dirzy

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi and Welcome

You are not the first, nor the last player to have that problem!

I am by no means a good player, but there is an old Challenge on this forum called The Cowboy Challenge, and that will stick you on the right path

I thought exactly the same as you mentioned about the 45 man not being worth doing...but it is very worthwhile doing the 0.25c games, and when you get a bit better move on to say the 50c turbos, for even more experience.

You don't have to absolutely crush these, .....it's the discipline and understanding of your Bankroll that is the most valuable asset of doing the Challenge..or so I think..

If you do a seach under the Challenges section I am sure you will find it.

Good Luck....you can only get better from now on

Weasel

Old
Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi dirzy. Welcome to the PSO forum. Here is a link to get you familiarized with all the features of the PSO website.

The more conservative your bankroll management, the less chance you have of going bust. So being extra conservative is a good thing if you don't want to deposit. Andy has done a bankroll building series starting at session 17. This will give you a road map of various choices of games youcan use to build up a bankroll from a small starting sum.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#4)
Thanks for the advices
I will try to get better in those 0.25c SNGs.
Today played 4 of them and again lost all its not that easy as I was thinking and there are very good players sometimes.
But it will teach me to play better I hope and maybe I will make the money someday.
I have one last question: What do you guys think is better to play the 90 people ones or the 45 ones?

dirzy

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dirzy!

From the ones that I played before black friday (I'm in the US), the play was very similar between the 45's and 90's.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#6)
Yeah thanks but I mean is the variance bigger? with 2 times more people I will be loosing more often right?
And will it take more time or its almost the same?

dirzy

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The 90's will take longer to play and can have more variance due to the number of runners.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#8)
Thats what I was thinking , thank you very much

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
60 buy-ins for cash games is a little excessive. The only time it may be recommended is if you're a pro whose only source of income is poker, or you absolutely cannot deposit any more money ever again. Also, 2NL in general is the easiest limit to play so it requires less bankroll than the higher limits.

If you enjoy the $.25 SNG's then I would recommend playing those until you doubled your bankroll to $80 total. Then you will have a solid 40x buy-ins for 2NL if you would like to play there as well.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
(#10)
Yeah I know the 2NL is pretty easy to beat but I must have solid roll to overcome tilt you know I dont want to lose everything again it would just prove Im very bad at poker and I should not play ..
But 40x buy-in sounds great to me as I like cash games and I play better there I will give it a shot after I get to the $80..
I hope I can make it .
Anyways thanks for your help

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com