Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$7 STT reg speed live reads - 99 in bb over call to set mine - x/c flop set

Old
$7 STT reg speed live reads - 99 in bb over call to set mine - x/c flop set - Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:09 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

My favourite hand of the day. I'm one tabling a STT and observing who is doing what?

Player in the pot to my left never out of line TAG and the other player LAG and sometimes spewed.

I have 99 in the bb, tight +1 raises 2.5x, loose btn calls and I over call to set mine. Check to the original raiser who c-bets K69r flop (nice game flow) the btn raises 4x?

Against KK? No, would a muppet bet that much top set, or I just seriously missed something?

My line is to >>check call my set<< if I had raised would this frighten off the original raiser?

No prizes but we can possibly put +1 on an exact hand.

One hand allowed me the opportunity to take down this little 1 table tourney.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
My first thought here is, how TAG is the +1 and how loose is the button? Some idea of their ranges might help. If you had history on the button, you might know whether he would 3-bet KK pre-flop or flat-call as he did, which would help a lot.

I'd like to know +1's range because with that flop, I could see him playing it the same way with AA, KK, and AK, and maybe KQ. Would he have raised KQ out of position like that? Having some sense of how wide his UTG=1 raising range is might help us narrow down the likelihood that he has KK as opposed to some other hand worth c-betting on that fairly dry flop.

Also worth noting is that you're down to 7 players already, which makes the UTG+1 position work a little more like MP2, which should open up his range a bit.

Assuming that you have no solid data about these sorts of tendencies, I think you played it about right. I wouldn't put the button on KK based on the pre-flop action unless he is really passive pre-flop, or likes to flat-call his monsters behind a raise for deceptive purposes. The guy in +1 could very well have KK, but I think at this stage there are plenty of weaker hands that would also make sense, and since you have him covered with more than 30bb behind, I think you pretty much have to take the chance and stay in the hand. I like the push on that blank turn--we have no idea what the button might be holding, but he's unlikely to have you beat on the turn and giving him 3:1 odds to call all-in prices out any realistic draws he might have on the turn.

I'd probably have played it about the same as you did, except I tend to get hot-headed with my sets so I probably would have check-raised all-in on the flop instead of waiting for the turn. Your play was better, I think, because my shove might have folded +1 if he held anything I was beating, but there would be no way he'd fold KK, so my best case scenario is that I gain nothing and my worst-case is that I miss the chance to bust out the TAG on my left. I'm going to try to keep this in mind for myself for future play.

-- CanuckMonkey

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey ForrestFive

Flatting pre flop is definitely the best way to play our nines at this stage of the sit and go and I like your idea of check calling. I think it's best to check this type of flop to the original raiser as this is a relatively dry flop which most opponents will feel good about c betting.

What's good here is that we have a solid TAG with a relatively small stack size betting into 2 players and one of them being a loose aggressive player. I would assume that a good TAG would not bet into 2 players with this stack size without a hand he's prepared to go with, especially as one of the players he's betting into is loose aggressive.

I like calling villain 2's big raise if I feel that I am up against weak players and I prefer shoving his big raise if I feel I'm up against good players. The reason for this is that a good player knows we will never be cold calling a big raise in this spot without a set or 2 pair. They know this because we are calling off such a large % of our stack when there are no strong draws present. If we had a Kx hand that we decided we want to go with we would very often shove it all in rather than flat call.

On the flip side, a weak player will often see our call as a sign of weakness.

Playing it how you did is fine and I would play it the same way most of the time.

Nice hand, Chris.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#4)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
looks like you played the hand fine. the nice thing about calling there on the flop is that you give the original bettor a chance to continue in the pot where he probably has very little chance of beating you in this pot. As played, it's fine to lead all in on the turn there since you're OOP.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com