Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

how could i have played this better?

Old
how could i have played this better? - Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner stats vp/11 PR7/ AFq34 i put him on TT JJ when he raised flop.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kk,

First off I would never steal preflop here unless I knew the blinds were both big nits for defending and folded to steal a high % of the time. Actually I still wouldn't steal even then. Reason is, against said type of opponents I'll be openeing a TON of buttons, but I don't want to open 100% of them or I might push these guys over the edge and they start fighting back with more than just "real" hands. I'd rather they just keep folding like good little soldiers. So if I'm not going to open 100% of buttons, then a good place to start reducing that % is my absolute worse hands, which obv. 82o fits.

Don't like your flop read, it is way too narrow, you have to do a better job of honestly evaluating what hands he could hold that makes sense. JJ/TT are in there for sure, but so are 99, 88, 55, 22, A8, slow played QQ-AA, some diamond combos, especially with gutters... Ad3d/Ad4d. Maybe a few worse hands.

All that being said your freak 2 pair has enough equity against that range to continue none the less, so I don't think your ranging mistake led to an EV mistake here, getting it in should be fine.

Putting an opponent on 1 or 2 specific hands is going to lead to a lot of mistakes though, work on the ranging process and your reads and decisions will get better over time.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
...I'd rather they just keep folding like good little soldiers. ...
LOL! I'm sure an argument could be made to try and get nitty blinds to spazz out, but I am with you on that one. So much simpler to just enjoy a small but steady(low variance) stream of blinds coming in.

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
maybe i could play a tighter range. but i see money i get excited

Old
Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yeah you can certainly make an argument that getting the nits to open up out of position isn't bad, I'd agree, but it's probably not as profitable as they'll still be playing stronger ranges than our 100%. My general philosophy is when I find an opponent making a clear mistake I try to take actions that encourages them to make more of it, not less of it. In the case of nit defenders that mistake is folding too often, so for blind stealing I want to give them more opportunities than normal to fold (attack with a wider range than my normal steals) but try not to go so far as to get them defending more correctly. 100% is too far.

Quote:
maybe i could play a tighter range. but i see money i get excited
I feel you... just be careful not to light it on fire in your excitement.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com