Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Fri Mar 01, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi there,

I've signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and have been reading the courses I was wondering if I qualify for the bankroll builder promotion?

Can anyone help?

thanks
john

Old
Fri Mar 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdz View Post
Hi there,
I've signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and have been reading the courses I was wondering if I qualify for the bankroll builder promotion?
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 02, 2013, 06:17 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I was wondering if I qualify for the bankroll builder.
Hi jmacdz,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up please watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

Let me know as soon as you've had a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 02, 2013, 06:50 AM
(#4)
hi thank you for the reply ive watched the video and set up the hand saving also if my internet stays stable for today (fingers crossed) i will be watching todays scheduled shows.

Old
Sun Mar 03, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi thank you for the reply ive watched the video and set up the hand saving also if my internet stays stable for today (fingers crossed)
Brilliant, now that you have watched the video you now know how to save hand histories from both real and play money games

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 03, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi thank you for the reply ive watched the video and set up the hand saving also if my internet stays stable for today (fingers crossed)
Brilliant, now that you have watched the video you now know how to save hand histories from both real and play money games

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 03, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#7)
hi ive got a couple of hands the first one i made a complete mess of and the second i won but i was probably to risky and silly to have done.

first hand:

on this hand i was just calling hoping for a set and then planned to fold if nothing hit but then when every one bet i just thought id set mine as if it did hit it would be a big chip up at the end when second 9 came i should have def folded but id seen villain 6 playing really low connectors and thought he maybe hit 2-4 he had a win with a 2-3 earlier when two 3s hit the board so i took a gamble had this not been play chips im pretty sure id definitely have folded on the flop.

second hand:

on this hand i was kinda just semi bluffing then trying to represent i had a 9 on the turn (if i had been raised id have folded) on the river it had checked to me so i was certain nobody had 7-8 but looking back i think i prob bet wrong here as an A-10 might have called down i think any over pairs would have raised by now, i thought a pot size bet would have scared off A-10 but maybe i should have shoved or been more sensible and checked.

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi ive got a couple of hands the first one i made a complete mess of and the second i won but i was probably to risky and silly to have done.
Thanks for posting these hands for review. I have asked one of the hand analysers to take a look at it for you and offer some feedback.

He should do this later today and once he does we can continue on from there.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:48 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jmacdz!

With 77 and a number of limpers in front of me, I'll gladly call behind and try to setmine.

I miss the flop completely and there is a bet of 30 and 3 callers. To call, it would be 30 into a pot of 162 (18.5%). I have two outs, which would be worth 4% equity due to the rule of 2 and 4, however, I'm not even sure the 7 of spades is an out, as it could complete a flush. Due to this, I'd need to put 18.5% into the pot when my hand is only worth 2%... so I need to fold right here.
With two overcards on the board, I do not want to put another chip into this pot unless I improve. Someone most likely has me beat, so I do not want to bet or call. I want to be putting my chips in when I've got the best hand.

With KTs from the HJ, I'm going to make a standard raise here, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 4 limpers, I'll bet 7BB or 14. I need to raise, as I want to try to lessen the field, as my hand will play much better with less opps in the pot.

I flop top pair/second kicker and when it folds to me, I'm going to make a pot-sized bet due to there being 8 opps in the hand. This is why I would want to make a standard raise preflop, as I now have no clue whether I have the best hand or not.

The turn pairs the board and an opp makes a min bet (which makes no sense at all because bets post-flop should be based on the size of the pot, not the BB). When it gets to me, I'm going to raise for two reasons. For value and to try to get some info about the opp's hands. Once again, due to the large number of opps, I'll need to make a pot-sized raise to 82.

The river should be a blank, unless the opp has 78 or had 6x with a pair. When it checks to me, I'm going to make a standard 1/2 pot value bet (80).

The keys for this hand are to make a standard raise preflop to try to lessen the field, then to make standard bets post flop. Most of the time, if an opp has a 9, they will tell you by making a large opening bet or by raising.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#10)
hi thanks for the hand analysis was extremely informative and helpful ive recently read the pot odds section of the cash games course then re-read and re-read until it stuck lol

what should my next step be ive passed the Poker Basics test should i do the cash game test? i was also able to attend the getting started, bet sizing and cash basics live sessions on saturday ive also been watching live training videos by XFLIXX which have been very helpful and enjoyable.

edit:
i just noticed some of the xflixx training videos require VPP points are they obtained by playing games or something different?

Last edited by jmacdz; Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: adding a question

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:24 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi thanks for the hand analysis was extremely informative and helpful ive recently read the pot odds section of the cash games course then re-read and re-read until it stuck lol
Hi jmacdz,

Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#12)
hi i had previously passed the poker basics assessment quiz and it wont let me retake it is this ok?

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:32 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi i had previously passed the poker basics assessment quiz and it wont let me retake it is this ok?
No problem, sometimes doing the steps before you are asked will delay the system.

Check back tomorrow and we will advise on the next step.

Cheers

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:52 AM
(#14)
ah ok sorry about that i have also already passed the cash game assessment i will make sure not to complete the other assessments until notified to do so and will check back tomorrow for an update.

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 07:08 AM
(#15)
hi just wondering if there is any update?

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 07:10 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
hi just wondering if there is any update?
Hi jmacdz,

You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

For beginners it's not advised to play short handed tables, so if 2/3 seats become empty it's a good idea to stand up also. As you become better at ranging opponents and playing an aggressive game you will feel more comfortable playing short handed tables but for now try to stick to the full ones.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:57 PM
(#17)
hi thanks for the buy-in i was able to play around 300 hands this evening only really had 2 problem hands i was maybe playing tighter than i should have been and getting lucky when i did play i left the table with $7.17.

im curious if i was right to fold this hand i just decided to limp in as the past few hands had lots of limpers and i was tying to play a bit looser at this point, im not sure if it was a good price to call when he could have a flush or even the straight i was hoping for already.

thanks
john

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 06:45 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
im curious if i was right to fold this hand i just decided to limp in as the past few hands had lots of limpers and i was tying to play a bit looser at this point,
Thanks for posting this hand for review. I have asked one of the hand analysers to take a look at it for you and offer some feedback.

He should do this later today and once he does we can continue on from there.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:01 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi jmacdz,

When I first started learning poker I was amazed at just how tight you can be and still make money. You don't have to get involved in lots of hands, so try not to loosen up out of boredom. Stay disciplined and wait for good spots where you think you have the best hand, or a good chance to make it for a decent price. Patience is crucial in poker.

QTs is a pretty hand that I like playing in late position, hoping to hit two pairs, a straight or a flush, but you're in early position, with 6 players still to act after you. It's likely that several players will have a better starting hand than this. In addition, if you see a flop, then these players (apart from the blinds) will have position on you. They will see what you do on the flop/turn/river, meaning they can fold if you keep betting (so you don't make money from calls) or they can raise you off your hand when they think they have you beat. It's therefore really hard to make money when you're out of position, particularly with a hand that only rarely makes a monster hand.

QT is also what we call "easily dominated". If a villain has AQ, KQ or QJ and you make top pair with the queen, you'll be betting with the worst hand, which can be very expensive.
While I appreciate you said this table had lots of limpers, that's no guarantee that you'll get to see a cheap flop this time. Limping is generally something to be avoided, so try not to let it become a habit. Strong players will raise your limps, meaning you either have to fold, or you end up playing the hand without the initiative.
So all things considered, I much prefer just mucking this hand in this position pre-flop.

As played, your limp doesn't get raised and the BB checks his option for a free flop. He can literally have any two cards here.
You flop 2nd pair and an open ended straight draw, so you're in pretty good shape against a random hand, but the BB leads out for more than the size of the pot. It's hard to put him on an exact hand, but it would seem he has top pair, or at least the same draw. He might even have flopped a straight.
I think you can call the flop bet, but unless you improve on the turn (to trips or a straight) you'll have to fold to significant action, as the villain is rarely going to be firing with worse than second pair.
The turn makes a flush possible, so now there are even more hands that beat you. Villain doesn't slow down and bets about 3/4 pot. I think your fold is fine here. You might even only be chopping if you make a straight, so giving up now looks fine.

Other than the pre-flop limp, I think you played the hand just fine. Hope this helps.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 07:35 PM
(#20)
hi thanks arty that was very helpful i definitely need to think a lot more about position when entering a pot today i used the advice given pretty much only raising monster/very strong hands from utg/early (3xBB + limpers) if any i also raised pocket pairs if i was first in pot the same amount which im not sure is right id probably call a small raise if i limped anyway.

i havent really loosend up i tried 2 tables today which kept me occupied i was able to make about $1.90 today not as good as first day but as long as its not going down im happy , when i got the $2 buy in i downloaded a trial of holdem manager 2 for 802 hands its got my vpip at 14.6 and PFR at 5.28 a quick google would indicate my PFR should be higher which i guess the above hand kinda proved lol

im not sure if there is anymore steps in this promotion but either way big thanks to everyone thats helped me so far the people and the site are such a big help i wish i knew about it sooner.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com