Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Mar 03, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
WhiteStar
Hi there,

I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Can anyone help?

DV8

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 02:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:14 AM
(#3)
WhiteStar
Thankyou, I will check back tomorrow.

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 07:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8666 View Post
Thankyou, I will check back tomorrow.
Hi DV8666,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up please watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

Let me know as soon as you've had a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#5)
WhiteStar
Hey there, thanks for the quick response.

I have watched the video now, and changed my hand history folder to go to an easier to find place.

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have watched the video now, and changed my hand history folder to go to an easier to find place.
Brilliant, now that you have watched the video you now know how to save hand histories from both real and play money games

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 09:20 AM
(#7)
WhiteStar
Hey again.

So far I have been trying to play tight agressive, and all of the tables I have been playing I am the tightest player on the board. Im slightly concerned im playing a touch too tight, where im playing roughly 25-30% of my hands. I am noticing with the play money tables there are the occasional tight agressive players such as myself but mostly there are people who are playing really loose but not agressive which I am finding it real easy to go up against, but the times I run into difficulty is when im playing up against loose agressive players.

Last night I played 29 hands, out of them 29 hands all but 6 I folded right away or after a cheap flop/turn and of them 6 I lost 2. As I said before, I think im playing a touch too tight.

Below is hands from last nights game that I struggled a little with.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

This first one I landed a weak ace so chose to limp into the flop, which concerned me to start with as normally when I have something I open with a set amount so that people cant guess what I have from my bets. Limping in made me overly nervous to start with that people would know im weak. On the Flop I land another Ace and my table had been fairly agressive so I chose to then bet something to scare away the weaker players and to see if the agressive players would stick in the hand, which they did. In the end all but the two agressive players folder, which I expected and since I landed the flush which I think he was going for aswell and I had Ace high I rebet his bet and took the hand.

In this hand im unsure to if I made a mistake or not. I chose to limp in, as im in early position. No big bets and I land a pair on the turn but im nervous being in early position and expecting someone to bet, which never came. On the turn a Queen lands which makes me nervous but again no bets, so on the river when another Queen lands I bluff that I have something better then two pair and bet and everyone folded. Was this a good way to play this hand, or should I have not even bothered with the bet ?

So these where two of the four hands that I won from last night, I lost two aswell but I dont want to give you too much to start with. Those hands I felt like I shouldnt of played them anyway.

Many thanks for all the help...
DV8

Last edited by DV8666; Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Got a detail wrong...

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Thanks for posting these hands. I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you and offer some feedback. He should do this later today.

Once the hands have been analysed we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 03:06 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hey again.

So far I have been trying to play tight agressive, and all of the tables I have been playing I am the tightest player on the board. Im slightly concerned im playing a touch too tight, where im playing roughly 25-30% of my hands. I am noticing with the play money tables there are the occasional tight agressive players such as myself but mostly there are people who are playing really loose but not agressive which I am finding it real easy to go up against, but the times I run into difficulty is when im playing up against loose agressive players.

Last night I played 29 hands, out of them 29 hands all but 6 I folded right away or after a cheap flop/turn and of them 6 I lost 2. As I said before, I think im playing a touch too tight.

Below is hands from last nights game that I struggled a little with.

This first one I landed a weak ace so chose to limp into the flop, which concerned me to start with as normally when I have something I open with a set amount so that people cant guess what I have from my bets. Limping in made me overly nervous to start with that people would know im weak. On the Flop I land another Ace and my table had been fairly agressive so I chose to then bet something to scare away the weaker players and to see if the agressive players would stick in the hand, which they did. In the end all but the two agressive players folder, which I expected and since I landed the flush which I think he was going for aswell and I had Ace high I rebet his bet and took the hand.

In this hand im unsure to if I made a mistake or not. I chose to limp in, as im in early position. No big bets and I land a pair on the turn but im nervous being in early position and expecting someone to bet, which never came. On the turn a Queen lands which makes me nervous but again no bets, so on the river when another Queen lands I bluff that I have something better then two pair and bet and everyone folded. Was this a good way to play this hand, or should I have not even bothered with the bet ?

So these where two of the four hands that I won from last night, I lost two aswell but I dont want to give you too much to start with. Those hands I felt like I shouldnt of played them anyway.

Many thanks for all the help...
DV8
Hi DV8!

Play money tables are much looser than real money tables. Nevertheless, I strongly suggest sticking to tight aggressive play. As a point of reference, I am quite tight. I only play about 12%-14% of my hands, and I used to play even less being down around 10%. Playing only good starting hands makes postflop play much easier. You are not playing too tight. So, don't stress that

First hand A2s:

Limping in as you did is perfect. You always want to open with a raise when you are the first to enter a pot, but this spot is different. You have a speculative hand. This means it doesn't win often, but when it does you have a good chance of winning a very big pot. Smallish pocket pairs, suited connectors, and Axs fall into this group of hands.

With a speculative hand you want to have the following criteria:
1. See the flop cheaply
2. Be in late position
3. Have multiple opponents in the pot
4. Have deep stacks

In this hand all the points are in place. Remember though, with speculative hands we are hoping to flop a set or a strong draw to a straight or flush. Don't get too excited when you flop a pair because you will often get out kicked.

You flop top pair, you have a nut flush draw and a weak straight draw. This is about as good a flop as you can hope for. Personally, I would have kept raising (4-bet) on the flop rather than calling the 18 cent 3-bet, but calling is fine. If a club comes on the turn, it might shut down the action from many of the opponents. Therefore, I would 4-bet now.

The turn doesn't give you a flush, but it does give you three more outs to a straight. You played the rest of the hand nicely.

This is exactly what we are hoping for with speculative hands. Nice one

Second hand A6o: I am glad you posted this hand. Let us compare it to the previous hand. A6 is mathematically a stronger hand than A2 because of the higher kicker. Nonetheless, A2s is much more playable than A6o.

With A2s, you have flush and straight possibilities. Remember, flopping an A often just costs us a big pot because we have a low kicker. With A6o your cards are not connected and not suited. What type of flop are we hoping to get? Not too many flops will help us. This makes A6o very hard to play post flop. It is not a speculative hand! Review these two hands and make sure you understand this difference.

I actually suggest folding the A6o preflop. It looks "cheap" to call the min-raise, but you will win so seldom that it will just cost you money in the long run. This is an example of too loose a starting range

As played, I would also suggest checking down on the river. Your middle pair has some showdown value. However, if someone comes over the top with a raise you will be forced to fold your hand. Your hand is not strong enough to raise for value against so many players here.

You seem to be on the right track. Keep it up

GL and have fun at the tables!

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 04:21 AM
(#10)
WhiteStar
Wow thanks for the excellent advice, i appreciate it. Im glad im not playing too tight, I was kinda concerned that I was. I was playing last night and I was on a real agressive table, where everyone was big betting pre-flop and I just never got any hands that I thought was worth me putting a big bet in to see the flop so I never actually played a single hand. In the end I just gave up with the table as I wasnt getting anywhere.

Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 08:04 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Wow thanks for the excellent advice, i appreciate it.
Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#12)
WhiteStar
Ok so I did the test and its passed now, although I didnt do as well as I would of liked. Even with it completed can I go back and do the test again at a later date ? Or is a pass good enough for now and I should expect to improve with the upcoming lessons ?

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 06:42 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Ok so I did the test and its passed now,
You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

For beginners it's not advised to play short handed tables, so if 2/3 seats become empty it's a good idea to stand up also. As you become better at ranging opponents and playing an aggressive game you will feel more comfortable playing short handed tables but for now try to stick to the full ones.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#14)
WhiteStar
Hey there, I have run into a slight problem with age verification and its going to take me a couple of days to get verified. I have spoken with customer support so as soon as I get that sorted I will contunue with this course.

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey there, I have run into a slight problem with age verification and its going to take me a couple of days to get verified. I have spoken with customer support so as soon as I get that sorted I will contunue with this course.
No problem at all, just let us know when you get sorted and we'll continue on, in your own time

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
(#16)
WhiteStar
Just to let you know I am now verified so I will now be continuing with this course.

I appologise with the delay, I got myself verified as quickly as I could.

Also I was wondering, I have been watching the pokerstars tv EPT London all week and I am wondering am I able to play in the free roles without it effecting this promotion ?

Thanking you...
DV8

Last edited by DV8666; Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: added question

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#17)
WhiteStar
Ok so im back in game and first thing I did was go off onto the tables and to see how I did with the real money tables.

Overall I felt I did well and I left being up $1.68 but did make a couple mistakes.

In this hand I landed what is really a weak suited hand. Not many people entered the pot so i chose to limp in. The flop was kind to me and I landed two pair so I chose to do a pot sized bet to see what the others did. With one folding with my small bet I had one guy left, so on the turn when something landed which didnt appear all that dangerous I decieded to fire again and see how he handled a slightly bigger bet and he folded. If he had of bet over me or called im not too sure what I would of done, as im weak and the river card could very well of not been so kind to me so not sure how well this hand was played.

This hand was pretty poorly played imo. I have got a weak suited J2 but chose to limp in. Flop misses me and I can see a Q and a possible flush draw for my oponent, so I check. My opponent does the same and this is where I make my mistake, because the turn creates the possible flush draw. Looking back at this I should of been betting here, force him to fold and if he has a made flush hand then he will either bet over me again or he will fold. Instead im more concerned that he has something then representing I have something and I check to the river and he ends up with a pair of 6's to my pair of 2's. Im thinking he would of folded that hand but I was weak and didnt bet into the pot which would of made him most likely fold. Would you agree that even a small 0.06 bet was probably worthwhile on the turn ?

In this hand I had Q7 suited so chose that it was worth me betting into the hand (3x big blind) I maybe should of been betting 4x big blinds with my opening bets but when I started playing because all of my money was invested I started opening slightly less and decieded to continue betting the same opening amount. The flop looks rather safe to me, not alot on the board that seemed to threatening so I put in a pot sized bet, with luck he would fold here but he didnt and called. The turn couldnt of been better for me so chose to continue firing away, thinking at this point he would fold to yet another pot sized bet but again he called me. Now the river didnt look all that bad to me, I already had a made hand so I chose to bet in another pot sized bet, and again he called. Turned out he had 3x 10's so was more then willing to call my large bet. I think I played this hand correctly, and probably got the most value I could from my hand. Anything here I should of done different ?

All in all, I ended up walking away with more then I started with which is a great start imo. Probably could of walked away with a little more without some mistakes but all in all I cant complain for my first attempt.

Last edited by DV8666; Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: put a hand replay in wrong place !

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 05:33 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi DV8666, I'll take a look at these 3 hands for you.

1. 95s in the SB. This is a very weak hand and you're in the worst possible seat, as you'll always be first to act post-flop. It's a hand that almost never makes the nuts, and can be very costly if you make a flush and someone else has a bigger one. Since it's a junk hand, you should fold pre-flop, even though it only costs 1c to play.
You actually saw a flop and it was pretty good for you, so I don't mind having a stab here, but be aware that you're losing to any 4, most 5s (your kicker is terrible) and all overpairs (66+). If you don't improve on the turn, then it's time to check-fold, because your bets will seldom get called by worse. When you make 2 pair, you can bet again, because it's unlikely the villain has a 4, but you'd still be losing to TT+, as overpairs will have a better two pair.

2. J2s in the SB. Again you have a junk hand. No one has entered the pot, and it only costs 1c to see a flop, but again I recommend folding. When you are the first person to enter a pot you should do it with a raise, not a limp. If you had a stronger hand, then you could raise to try and steal the big blind. With this hand, just fold. You completely missed the flop, so checking and planning to fold to a bet is good. You make bottom pair on the river, but you're unlikely to be called by worse, so checking there and seeing a showdown is fine. You couldn't really bet on an earlier street, because you have jack high with no draw. Save your bluffs for when you have some chance of winning the hand if you get called.

3. Q7s in the BB. This hand is marginal at best. The kicker is pretty terrible, it can't make a straight with both cards, and a queen-high flush could lose a lot of money vs a K/A-high flush. While I'd sometimes raise to 8c (3bb + 1 for the limper) if I thought the limper would fold, I'd often just check my option and see if I can hit the flop for free.
You flopped a gutshot and have one overcard. This is not a strong holding. While making a continuation bet is standard after you raised pre-flop, your sizing is not good. Since you're (semi-)bluffing, you want to bet the smallest amount that you think will cause the villain to fold. A bet of 50% or 60% of pot will have the same effect as a pot-sized bet, so you lose the minimum when you have the worst hand, but have the opportunity to get more value on later streets if you get lucky.
Villain calls the PSB, so he probably has top pair, a straight, or a flush/straight draw. You only have queen high, remember, so don't want to be putting much money into the pot. On the turn, you hit your 4-outer (this will only happen about 10% of the time), but look at the texture of the board now. There are three hearts on the board. If villain called on the flop with a flush draw, you're now drawing dead. You also have the bottom end of the straight. If villain had QJ (a good hand to call with on the flop with an OESD), he has you crushed.

My plan here is to bet about half-pot. If villain raises, you can fold, because he usually has a made flush or better straight. A smaller bet might also get a top pair hand to keep calling.
On the river, there is a third ten. This is great if villain just made trips, because he'll have trouble folding. But this villain could still have a flush, or he could have made a full house. Your straight is nowhere near the monster hand it might seem. Again, I prefer a smaller bet, because it's hard to get called by a worse hand, and you'll get shoved on by hands that beat you.

The main lessons you can learn from these hands are:
1. Don't play junk hands in bad positions, even if the price is cheap.
2. Don't open-limp.
3. Take a free flop in the BB if your hand is marginal.
4. Bet less than pot when you have a weak hand that needs to improve.
5. Be aware of board texture and consider the relative strength of your hand. i.e. If you make a straight, ask yourself "Is it the best straight possible? Can villain have a flush? Is a full house possible?". When your hand is far from the nuts, try and keep the pot a bit smaller.

You won some nice pots here, but hands like 95s, J2s and Q7s are not profitable in the long run, so even the best players tend to fold them often. I hope this helps and you can continue building your bankroll.

Cheers, Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:22 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 2 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.

2) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 2 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com