Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

My Foray into Cash Games--Need Help!

Old
My Foray into Cash Games--Need Help! - Tue Mar 05, 2013, 03:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
Hi Fellow/Sister PSO'ers,

The last week I have been semi-enjoying 6-person (max $20 .01/,02) games. They are convenient re: my schedule and I first watch a number of tables looking for compatible players (i.e.no maniacs). I find the level of play higher than in play money chips BUT I see how I seem to either apropriately fold OR 'fall in love' with my hand pre-flop' and KNOW I am not listening to the one opponent left to battle with me.The issues are a)not stopping to think about what this opponent likely has and b) treating real money like play money and like ALL of us, I can't afford to play this way. Clearly I am lacking more of discipline than knowledge at this early point as my entire body/mind/spirit KNOWS when I am over betting.

I have gone through the cash game course over & over and ask what videos would be helpful for me? The second request is this: I do not yet know how to keep a history so as to bring example hands to the forum. Can someone give me a step by step lesson, please.

Lastly if there are a few folks out there playing cash games, could we start a group--very small stakes--and discuss hands after?

I enjoy the comaraderie of the PSO and hope one day to be able to give back in the way some folks are giving to me!

Ellen
DrEllenCait

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Dr. Ellen I don't Play a lot of 6-max but I'm very sure we have 6-max videos in the archive.

To get your hand history you

open Pokerstars

In the lobby (main screen) click on options which opens a scary list of nearly 500 options but starts with "player notes"

About 2/3rds of the way down is "instant hand history options" Click that

Check the box that says save my hand historys

then if you are happy with the directory click ok

and volia next game you play will end up in that directory.

Hope this helps

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
(#3)
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...-February-2012

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 12:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I would suggest searching the forum for some good poker books to read, then hitting up Amazon or Ebay and finding some used copies for cheap. Keep an eye out for 'live training' sessions that interest you, they are great and free! If you still want more then there is the videos section on the PSO which has recorded previous live trainings + lots of other videos.

One of the best ways to improve is experience though so keep at it at the tables. That said, I'm not sure if you were being literal or not, but rule #1 of playing poker is: Do not gamble with money you cannot afford to lose. Actually no idea what you are playing, did you mean $2 max? If you did mean $20 you could maybe drop down in stakes a bit.

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 01:11 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Hi Dr. Ellen I don't Play a lot of 6-max but I'm very sure we have 6-max videos in the archive.

To get your hand history you

open Pokerstars

In the lobby (main screen) click on options which opens a scary list of nearly 500 options but starts with "player notes"

About 2/3rds of the way down is "instant hand history options" Click that

Check the box that says save my hand historys

then if you are happy with the directory click ok

and volia next game you play will end up in that directory.

Hope this helps

Grade b
^This but make sure to change how long it's saving hand histories for. Pretty sure the default is only a day.

Apart from that post up some hands in the hand analysis section and I'll see if I can get to them before the hand analysers do so that i'm not just agreeing with them

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 01:42 AM
(#6)
One of the things you could do is to go back to play money and treat it like real money.Set a goal for your play money account and build your balance up to that amount. When you have reached tha, start playing real money with the 25 cent SNGs. Beginning players make lots of mistakes and the most a mistake can cost you in these games is 25 cents. The other good thing is that the skill level is lower than the 1/2 cash games, so other players are making mistakes more often and donating more chips to you as a result.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 05:39 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Ellen,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of useful resources here. For a complete overview of what PSO has to offer, see THIS page.

As a newbie to cash games, you should be playing the lowest limits; the games with 1c/2c blinds. These will enable you to learn without risking too much of your bankroll.
As to your problem with "getting married" to your hand, this is a very common beginner's mistake. Solid poker requires discipline, both pre-flop and post-flop. It's especially true post-flop, as each street (flop, turn, river) becomes more expensive, so if you make a bad call on the flop, then a bad call on the turn will be an even bigger (more expensive) mistake.
With experience, you'll become better skilled at putting your opponent on a range of hands, and assessing your chances of being beat, but for now I'd recommend you try and fold more often unless you have at least top pair with a king or ace kicker, or a strong draw, such as the nut flush draw or the top end of an open-ended straight draw (e.g. KQ on JTx). Chasing gutshots (4 outs) or non-nut draws that lead you to have the 2nd best hand at showdown can prove to be very costly.

Villains are not bluffing very often at the lowest stakes. When they bet, it's usually because they have a made hand that is often at least top pair. e.g. If the board is AQ5 and you have KQ or JJ and a villain bets, the villain usually has top pair. Your medium pair does not have much chance of improving, and it will cost you to try and hit your outs, so you should fold at the first opportunity.
I'm a great believer in the axiom "money saved is money earned". If you can learn to make good folds when it's likely you are beat, and you don't have a cheap price to draw, then you'll be halfway to making profit.
Another quick tip I'll give you is this: If you ever get raised post-flop, after betting out, strongly consider folding, even if you have top pair. Villains are seldom raising as a total bluff. You'll lose a lot of money if you call raises with TPTK against a nit who always has a set or better when he raises the flop/turn.

When you've got your hand history being saved, feel free to post converted hands in the relevant forum: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Hand-Analysis
Instructions for converting your hand history can be found at the top of that board.

Continue to ask questions about any aspect of poker in the relevant places. We're a friendly bunch here.

Good luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
With Gratitude - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Greetings,

After reading these posts and the class yesterday about playing tight, I went back to a $01/$02 cash games which I have been playing all along (but you are asked to play with $20).I have no problem folding; the issue is more when I have a hand worthy of a bet/raise. I slowed down; listened to the betting;attempted to put cards around the table given pre-flop and on the flop. I felt I was far more objective (i.e. analytical which I am very accustomed to doing as a bridge pro (www.bridge-firum.com with Caitlin as my bridge user name). The long and short, after putting a lid of $5 (lose that and I am out as a blessing in disguise is that I can well afford to lose more), I won $40 so that I am up $30 in 5 days. I don't expect this run to continue but I did feel a difference in my approach.

I have a LONG way to go, reading material Vas has sent to me which he has collected from online--thank you my friend--and many videos to study.Using used books on Amazon (which as an author I can testify to fact that there is NO difference between new & used) and e-bay is grat idea. WHICH BOOKS EOULD YOU PURCHASE AS GENERAL RESOURCES & INTRO TO CAS GAMES??

To all of you, thank you and I will continue to share my journey with hands! YOU ALL ROCK!

Ellen
DrEllenCait

Old
P.S. - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Hi Again,

It's www.bridge-forum.com and ironically I co-authored beginners' book to what is now considered 'standard' bridge--'Standard Bidding with SAYC' so ironically, now I am the beginner and love it!

Ellen
DrEllenCait

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:22 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEllenCait View Post
I went back to a $01/$02 cash games which I have been playing all along (but you are asked to play with $20).
Are we talking about the same cash tables at pokerstars here?
The minimum is 1/2NL, meaning 1 cent 2 cent blinds. The buyin for that is only $2. Super low variance and lets you really practice your cash game properly.

Old
Which Cash Games are Valuable to Me? - Thu Mar 07, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Hi mimesis.is,

I did start with the 1c-2c games; however you cannot practise what our live training and videos are teaching us: when to enter pot with 3-bet; raise 3 or 4BB, etc. That was frustrating as you are either folding, calling or raising 1c regardless of whether you are holding AA, JJ, etc. I am not sure that is useful. So I play $1/$2 with 'suggested' amount to play with is $20. Now I have videos and reading material to go through.

I wish our members would play at cash PSO tables which are very low stakes but no one is ever there.

NOTE: I followed instructions for saving hands, checked folder after playing and NO HANDS showed up anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ellen
DrEllenCait

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm a bit confused here. If you are playing no limit holdem in 6-max or 9-max (full ring) cash games, then you can make bet sizes up to the size of your stack. So in a 2NL game (blinds of 1c and 2c), someone might open for 3bb (6c), and you might 3-bet to 9bb (18c). It's only in fixed limit where the betting is structured that raises are only one bb pre-flop.
Regardless of game type (fixed or no limit), $20 won't last very long if you are playing games with blinds of $1/$2. You could go busto in the space of 5 hands!
Find the no limit section in the Pokerstars lobby and look for the 2NL (1c/2c) cash games. There should be hundreds of tables running, with action just like in the live training.
A quick way to set it up is open the Ring Game Filter and choose minimum and maximum stakes of 1c/2c and click "Standard (40-100 big blinds)" for the buy-in.

As for the hand history problem, that's very weird. Go Back to Options>Instant Hand History Options and make sure you have ticked the check box. Click OK, play a couple of hands, then look in the options again. If you click 'Open Folder', you should find the files.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:44 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEllenCait View Post
Hi mimesis.is,

I did start with the 1c-2c games; however you cannot practise what our live training and videos are teaching us: when to enter pot with 3-bet; raise 3 or 4BB, etc. That was frustrating as you are either folding, calling or raising 1c regardless of whether you are holding AA, JJ, etc. I am not sure that is useful. So I play $1/$2 with 'suggested' amount to play with is $20. Now I have videos and reading material to go through.

I wish our members would play at cash PSO tables which are very low stakes but no one is ever there.

NOTE: I followed instructions for saving hands, checked folder after playing and NO HANDS showed up anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ellen
DrEllenCait
Do you have a suggested time ? I'm sure we could advertise a time and get a table going.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com