Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Potential Bankroll Builder :)

Old
Potential Bankroll Builder :) - Tue Mar 05, 2013, 06:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
ChromeStar
Greeting Pokerstars!!

I would like to participate in this bankroll builder program! I haven't made a deposit yet and I would love to start working hard building a bankroll through this program. Thank you Pokerstars staff!

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bropham View Post
Greeting Pokerstars!!

I would like to participate in this bankroll builder program! I haven't made a deposit yet and I would love to start working hard building a bankroll through this program. Thank you Pokerstars staff!
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 05, 2013, 06:27 PM
(#3)
ChromeStar
Great! I will be waiting then

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 08:48 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Great! I will be waiting then
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up please watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

Let me know as soon as you've had a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
(#5)
ChromeStar
I watched the video already, what is next to do on the list?

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I watched the video already, what is next to do on the list?
Brilliant, now that you have watched the video you now know how to save hand histories from both real and play money games

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:20 PM
(#7)
ChromeStar

Well there was this hand which I was the big blind and I had A J off suit. Someone min-raised before me and I thought I can isolate with someone who has a pair and play heads up with them and hopefully try to catch a pair or so. Should I have bet on the flop or check, because I see it too common that people will usually hope some sort of AK or AQ that didn't hit on the flop. So that is why I tried to represent A10 which didn't work. Was it a bad play?

Thanks

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:24 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I tried to represent A10 which didn't work. Was it a bad play?
Hello,

Thanks for posting this hand. I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you and offer some feedback. He should do this later today.

Once the hand has been analysed we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Bropham!

With AJ from the BB, there is a min raise, then a bunch of callers. If I think that any of the opps could fold here (which I'd like to have happen, as AJ plays much better against fewer opps), then I'll make a standard raise, which here due to the large number of callers will be a pot-sized raise to 33 for me. If the table is loaded with calling stations that will not fold, then I'll just call and see the flop.

I see a 4-way flop that totally misses me. In most cases, especially if I'm heads-up or maybe against 2 opps, I'll make a c-bet here (1/2 pot for HU, 2/3 pot for 2 opps)... BUT.. with 3 opps, I'm going to check since c-bets work much better against fewer opponents. Against 3 opps, if I did make a c-bet, I'd need to bet 3/4 pot (71) as any bet lower than this can give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me (if I'm not beat already). I want to be betting when I expect to gain chips from my bet, not to be betting where I expect to lose chips.

The turn once again totally misses me and I'm going to check here and hope to improve my hand on the river.

The river is another total blank and I'm going to check/fold here. There isn't much that I can beat and due to that, I don't want to put any more chips into the pot.
If I did make a river bet, since there are 2 opps, I'd need to make a bet of 2/3 pot to make my bet be belivable as a value bet and with absolutely nothing, I'm not willing to do so. When the opp raises, since I can't beat anything, it's an easy muck for me, as if I call, I can't win.

If I wanted to represent AT here, I'd need to bet 3/4 pot on the flop, 3/4 pot again on the turn and 2/3 pot on the river.... and bluffing this many chips is not going to be a profitable situation, so I do not want to do it into a multi-way pot. In the majority of the cases in the play money and microstakes games, it's best not to bluff, because there are too many players that will continue calling and not fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 07:17 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 08:22 AM
(#11)
ChromeStar
I have already done the basic assessment quiz, do I wait for the $2 now?

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:52 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have already done the basic assessment quiz, do I wait for the $2 now?
You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

For beginners it's not advised to play short handed tables, so if 2/3 seats become empty it's a good idea to stand up also. As you become better at ranging opponents and playing an aggressive game you will feel more comfortable playing short handed tables but for now try to stick to the full ones.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:12 PM
(#13)
ChromeStar
I just have a question before I proceed the cash game; do I have to use all of that $2 buy-in or I can put in the min buy-in of the table?

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:13 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I just have a question before I proceed the cash game; do I have to use all of that $2 buy-in or I can put in the min buy-in of the table?
It's entirely up to you but personally I would recommend buying in for the full $2.

Don't worry if you lose the buy-in, just post the hand where you lost the money with here in this thread if that happens and we will award you another after a few more simple steps.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#15)
ChromeStar

I started the hand with K J off suit and since I was UTG+1, I thought I should just call and hopefully hit the flop. 4 players to the flop

Flop came blank for me 3-7-A rainbow and everybody checks on the flop.

Turn came Q which means now I have a straight draw. 2 players check and I decided to bet 3/4 of the pot to try to build the pot and big blind called.

River came a J, which gave me a pair. The BB bet 3/5 of the pot and I thought to myself maybe he has the straight because he check the flop and called the turn in hope the price isn't too big and he manage to hit.

I decided to fold because I thought the bet was a bit too big for me to call with a bluff catcher hand, is it the right move?

Thanks

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:41 PM
(#16)
ChromeStar
I happen to lost all the 2 dollars
What's next?

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:04 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I happen to lost all the 2 dollars
What's next?
Please post the hand(s) where you lost the money with here in this thread using the hand replayer, once we anlayse it I will advise on the next step, but you do need to post the hands where you lost the money with before we can move on.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:34 PM
(#18)
ChromeStar

I was down to 0.38 cents because of a few river suck outs, but think one I particularly lost it all because I didn't hit my flush. I just thought I would go all in after the raise because I thought there was a lot in there already

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 08:41 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I just thought I would go all in after the raise because I thought there was a lot in there already
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Bropham, I'l take a look at this KJs hand for you.

KJs is a decent starting hand, as it makes pretty good top pair hands and can flop draws to the (near) nuts. It's also a "trouble hand", however, because it's dominated by AK, KQ, AJ, KK. It's a hand that doesn't play particularly well out of position, as when you flop top pair, it's hard for your bets to get called by worse. So you often win a small pot (villain has nothing to call a bet with) or lose a big one (villain has you beat). Playing draws out of position can also be tricky.

For these reasons, I recommend folding KJs in early position, especially until you have more post flop experience. It's a hand you can open in better seats, such as the HJ, CO and on the BUT, but best mucked here. (In EP, you should play very tightly indeed, just opening big pairs and big aces).

Another reason to fold here is you are very short-stacked. In this situation, you should play even more tightly than usual. You can't afford to play "drawing hands" as you won't win a big pot if you chase a draw and hit it on the river, because you'll already be all in by then.
With 20bb, wait for a pair of 10s or better, or AK/AQ, and then try and get it all in on pre-flop or on the flop, by betting and raising when you most likely have the best hand.

As played, you make a standard raise and get a call. You flop a flush draw and two overs. The c-bet is fine here. Even if villain calls with a made hand, you have lots of outs. Villain raises, which usually means he has a set or an overpair (88+), but you're pretty much pot-committed with your draw, and have decent equity against most hands that will call a shove, so I don't fault you getting it in there.

With these exact hands you were actually flipping on the flop, with a smidgeon under 50% equity. With all that money in the pot, getting the rest of your chips in when you'll double up half the time is good. If you'd been deeper stacked, however, you might be better off folding to the flop-raise, and waiting for a better spot. (A huge leak for beginning players is calling off 100bb with any draw. With a very short stack, it's often correct to get it in when you need to suck out, because of the dead money in the pot. Deeper, it's a huge mistkake).

You were unlucky in this hand, losing a coinflip. In future, try to be a bit more selective in the hands you play ("tight is right"), so you don't have to win 50/50 situations, and be more inclined to fold marginal or trouble hands in EP/MP.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com