Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

was this a good turn bet

Old
was this a good turn bet - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 08:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
PokerStars Zoom Hand #95101888175: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2013/03/06 7:58:45 ET
Table 'McNaught' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Aleandrus ($2.03 in chips)
Seat 2: penguinlfc ($2.13 in chips)
Seat 3: A&7best ($2.61 in chips)
Seat 4: suecada ($1.68 in chips)
Seat 5: Vlad Shilov ($0.97 in chips)
Seat 6: Elena Trojan ($0.97 in chips)
Seat 7: kingkong263 ($2.38 in chips)
Seat 8: Goldmen777 ($1.56 in chips)
Seat 9: a.dimaria22 ($0.57 in chips)
penguinlfc: posts small blind $0.01
A&7best: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kingkong263 [As Jd]
suecada: folds
Vlad Shilov: folds
Elena Trojan: folds
kingkong263: raises $0.06 to $0.08
Goldmen777: folds
a.dimaria22: folds
Aleandrus: calls $0.08
penguinlfc: folds
A&7best: folds
*** FLOP *** [7s 6d 8c]
kingkong263: bets $0.11
Aleandrus: calls $0.11
*** TURN *** [7s 6d 8c] [Ad]
kingkong263: bets $0.30
Aleandrus: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.30) returned to kingkong263
kingkong263 collected $0.40 from pot
kingkong263: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $0.41 | Rake $0.01
Board [7s 6d 8c Ad]
Seat 1: Aleandrus (button) folded on the Turn
Seat 2: penguinlfc (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: A&7best (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: suecada folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Vlad Shilov folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Elena Trojan folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: kingkong263 collected ($0.40)
Seat 8: Goldmen777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: a.dimaria22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
stats vp/15 pr8 Afq61

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Flush draw shows up on the turn, he hasn't hit anything if he's on a draw, and if he had non-ace overcards then he's not going to want to continue now.

You're hardly going to be getting called by worse much at this stage but you need to protect your equity in the pot against all the hands that can improve on the river.

I've previously advocated betting slightly smaller against draws but the hand analysers are of the opinion that you should generally make it steep for them to call (at least in multiway pots, perhaps this case is different). Mainly because at lower limits poor players are calling along with draws way too often and it's something you can usually take advantage of.

You could possibly have checked or put out a small bet in order to try to induce a bluff as an alternate line, but quite frankly betting the turn as you did isn't that bad here as it restricts any chance of a check-check to the river (and in 1/2NL people play along with draws way more than they should).

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kingkong,

I wouldn't c-bet here all the time actually, this is a terrible flop for our range and a good one for the villains.

I do think the turn is a bet... his flop call indicates a fair bit of 1 pair hands and draws, and I think we can get called by a lot of this, particularly the draw equity hands. I agree with mime your bet sizing is larger than I think it needs to be, 75% of the pot makes it really hard for him to call with the low equity portion of his range, stuff like TT or T8s. I'd bet about .22c and fold to a raise (if he flopped a set we'll hear from him now).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com