Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl Zoom - 97s in the CO. Bluff spot on the river?

Old
10nl Zoom - 97s in the CO. Bluff spot on the river? - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain in the SB realatively unknown, I have 34 hands on him and so far he's not playing too many hands but is playing very passive. 21/12/6.7 AF-0.5 Afq-30. The BB I know very little about he seems tight and has yet to 3bet but again the sample is too small to draw much from. The BTN is unknown.

So first question is this too loose and open or is 97s with basically 3 unknown players left to act?

Once I do open I think a flop bet is madatory on that flop, I can get a lot of better hands to fold so it seems a decent cbet spot to me. OTT I don't think I pick up any additional fold equity, anything that called the flop is surely calling the turn so I opt to check behind. Then the river comes the scary K. I don't expect many Jx combos to fold but I think I can get pairs 77-TT to fold a large amount of the time hence I decided to bet. Is this a good spot to do so and if so is my sizing okay?

Thanks

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi Oliver,

I wouldnt open that wide from that position, but thats just me. I think given the flop you should make a cbet as you said. On the turn, id also check back. On the river id give up the pot to the passive player, since i think the only hand he 'll surely fold is a busted draw, and beacuse it would be bad for my head to lose more money with that hand.

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 04:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Preflop, flop and turn I'd play the same way - OTR I would usually give up against most loose/passive opponents since they will have a showdownable hand when they take this line (they'd probably bet bluffs and just check with underpairs/Jx).

Betting with some of the weakest nonshowdownable hands you get to the river with here is still probably going to be a reasonable strategy in general since you will definitely be betting all Kx - and that can be a fair number of combos when you open from the CO.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com