Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl Zoom - A3o In the CO. Thin value OTR?

Old
10nl Zoom - A3o In the CO. Thin value OTR? - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 03:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain is unknown in this hand.

I make a standard open with A3o in the CO, I think this is pretty standard so not too much to dwell. Also I think my flop value bet is standard, I can get called by med-small pairs as well as KJ KT etc so I think it's a good spot to cbet.

OTT I decided to check back, I felt that if I bet it gave all hands that call a flop bet a chance to fold. Even though the turn wasn't scary, worse hands that called the flop aren't often calling a double barrel.

When he checks to me OTR I figured he was pretty weak and in all likelyhood held a PP 77-TT or a missed straight draw. I decided to bet for value quite small to get called by the PP's in his range and then he shocked me by raising.

I've discussed this with a friend of mine and he thinks that if I bet the river then I have to call his raise as his line makes no sense so we will likely see a bluff. However in my experience when someone check raises the river they have a good hand. Although it seems more likely he would lead with Qx it's not out of the realms of possibility that he would try and be really tricky and x/r, is it?

Did I misjudge the situation and perhaps get bluffed or was the laydown decent? Also was my bet for value OTR too thin?

Thanks

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 04:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi Oliver,

Hard spot . If u held AK i think its a call, but the fact that there are Ax combos that beat you reduces the will to call. I think his range includes Ax that put you on a pocket pair; and missed draws... I dont think he has a Q often here, since i feel he'd put more money, maybe leading or raising on any street, the only Q hand i see him playing this way is AQ. I dont know if it is a good spot to bet the river... id fold... but im not very good player.

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 04:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I'd typically fold A3o from the CO unless there is a really weak player in the blinds and/or everyone behind me including BU is fairly tight.

I would also tend to checkback OTF since I dont see much value from worse hands and would try to induce some bluffs/get value on later streets.

As played I think b/f river seems fine.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com