Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed Mar 06, 2013, 04:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi there,

Here Rafał, from Poland. I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Old
Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sirthesurfer,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
(#3)
Hey!

Here is my hand about which I had some doubts.

I've also already attended one of free getting started sessions as you suggested.

What do you advise to do next?

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 03:32 PM
(#4)

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#5)
If I only knew how to delete my posts...

Was it right decision to go all in with such hand?

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sirthesurfer!

The first thing that I see with these is that they are NOT full ring tables, they are 6-max. Once you receive a bonus from this promotion, if you play anything other than FULL RING (9 player), you will be ineligible for any additional bonuses. The instructions for this promotion need to be followed specifically.

With 75o on the button, I'm going to fold when it gets to me. It's way too weak of a hand to call bets with. I want to be betting when I'm ahead in the hand, not when I'm behind.

With 69o from the BB, I'll gladly check and see a free flop since this is a very weak hand. The flop is a total miss and when it's checked to me, I'll check behind and hope to see a free turn card. If any of the opps bet, I will immediately fold. I only want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead, not when I'm behind.

With 8Ts from the button, there is a min raise in front of me. Once again, this is nowhere near a strong enough hand to be playing, so I will immediately muck it. I want to be playing stronger hands, so that I can be ahead of the opponent when putting chips into the pot, not when I'm behind. I would never call a very large all-in with a trash hand like this. This type of bet should be made by a player with a premium hand and not anything else and every premium hand has 8Ts crushed.

The keys in these hands is to fold marginal-at-best hands preflop and to wait for better situations with better cards. Patience is a HUGE key when playing poker and must be used at all times.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have attended the training session.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#7)
Hey! Now I see my mistake was due to my poor poker vocabulary. Sorry for that! Though I really appreciate your advices. Especially one about patience. - I already know about it but sometimes I am not fully aware of its importance. I've already attended getting training session. My coach nickname was Garret~ American who had so nice accent that I decided two more of his lectures :P Here is yet another hand of which I was dubious ( This time full ring) I don't want to sound like a spoiled child but I do wonder intently when I'll finally receive my bankroll bonus?

Last edited by Sirthesurfer; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sirthesurfer!

With pocket 10's, there are 6 limps, then a raise to 56. I'm going to re-raise here and I will make it a standard 3-bet size (3X the previous bet or 168).
The opp now shoves and here is where a read on the opp is needed. If the opp is playing very tight, I'll muck. If the opp is playing loose, I'll call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sirthesurfer!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 03:36 AM
(#10)
Hey, I've passed quiz.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Sirthesurfer!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 07:51 AM
(#12)
Hey! I've just finished cash game quiz. My result was 72 % Also I've lost my entire bankroll already. Although I don't cry over it because I've learned an awful lot before losing it and paradoxically I feel more confident now. I know that I'll do much better with my next buy-in. I won't do same mistakes and I'll put my new knowledge and tools into use. I've managed to gain 8.4 FPP points before losing my bankroll. Is that good score taking into consideration that I am complete beginner?

Here is one hand thanks to which I won pretty big pot although I had doubts while playing. Was it right decision in the long run?
I knew that it was a bald move but I knew that the villain was loose-aggresive. Taking into consideration that the board was dry and I had top pair with top kicker I've decided to give it a shot.

I am giving you answer for question regarding big bets:
-to protect against strong draws
-to gain value from strong hands
-to bluff people off decent hands

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirthesurfer View Post
Hey! I've just finished cash game quiz. My result was 72 % Also I've lost my entire bankroll already. Although I don't cry over it because I've learned an awful lot before losing it and paradoxically I feel more confident now. I know that I'll do much better with my next buy-in. I won't do same mistakes and I'll put my new knowledge and tools into use. I've managed to gain 8.4 FPP points before losing my bankroll. Is that good score taking into consideration that I am complete beginner?

Here is one hand thanks to which I won pretty big pot although I had doubts while playing. Was it right decision in the long run?
I knew that it was a bald move but I knew that the villain was loose-aggresive. Taking into consideration that the board was dry and I had top pair with top kicker I've decided to give it a shot.

I am giving you answer for question regarding big bets:
-to protect against strong draws
-to gain value from strong hands
-to bluff people off decent hands
Hi Sirthesurfer

Interesting hand!

There are several ways to play AJs in this spot depending on your read on the villain. Against an unknown, I would have folded preflop actually. An ep raise usually means strength and you will often be facing a pocket pair 88+ or AJs+ hand. This means that you are behind pretty much all the standard range. Additionally, the villain made it 4x which is bigger than normal. If you flop an A in this spot you may lose a big pot to a better kicker. So, I am usually cautious and fold. Note, if another player called, then I would call since you are in good position and may flop a strong draw to a straight or flush.

Against a loose aggressive player, calling as you did can be ok. However, you will need strong postflop skills in order to win the hand, or alt. get away from the hand. You are more or less planning on turning your hand into a bluff if you miss the flop. Don't do this too often. You need to gain more expience first!

As played, calling the c-bet is only good if you are intending to bet/raise the turn if you miss. This is a bluff, but it works well against many opponents. Again, do not use this too often because it can quickly backfire costing you a bundle. Since you caught a J on the turn, you are probably ahead against a loose aggressive player. Calling the turn is your best option now. It keeps the pot under control. More importantly, it will let the villain fire another barrel on the river with a weaker hand thus earning you more profit.

Calling on the river is good. Had you raised, most hands you are beating will fold. So you can't expect to win more money on the hand. If you are beat you will lose more money by raising though. This is another example of pot control.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sirthesurfer!

Please let me know when you have passed the test and we'll then move onto the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#15)
Hey, I've passed the test!

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 06:19 AM
(#16)
I've passed the test. What should I do next? And when can I finally receive my next buyin?

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Fantastic Sirthesurfer!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
(#18)
Hey, I've again lost my money ;/ Mainly due to this hand After that I went on tilt so I decided to regain at least 60 (I assumed so) cents so I could come back later with better mood but now I know better that I need at least 80 cents to enter game

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Sirthesurfer! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

You have KTs on the button, facing a minraise by a player in early position. His range in that seat should be very strong, mainly big aces and pairs. I'd usually fold this hand in this situation, even though it's only a minraise, because you're dominated by AK and KK+. KT is a trouble hand. You can call, but you should be concerned solely with hitting two pairs or a strong draw (flush draw/open-ended straight draw).
Your minraise serves no positive purpose. Villain isn't going to fold for an extra 2 cents. He also has the option to re-raise, which he takes. Now he's showing a lot of strength, as this is the third raise. You should definitely fold now. Villain usually has QQ+ or AK. You call the re-raise and see flop.
KQT looks pretty good, as you have two pairs, but remember villain has KK and QQ in his range. Both those hands have a set of trips, leaving you with very few outs. You're beating AA and AK, but if the board pairs, your pair of tens will be counterfeited by a better two pair. I'd much rather have a flush draw than two pairs right now.
Villain makes a solid bet of 18c into 27c and you call. I'd prefer a raise here. You have two pairs, which is a vulnerable hand, and it might already be losing. If you raise and villain re-raises or goes all in, you can fold, putting him on a set of trips. If villain just calls the raise, he probably has one pair and is worried you have the monster.
The turn comes a 7 and villain checks. It seems he is worried by your call on the flop. If he has AA or AK, he doesn't want to build a big pot, because those hands are losing to KK/QQ/TT/KQ/KT/QT/AJ. Since you have one of the hands he is worried about, you should bet it. Villain might be good enough to fold AA or AK here, and you'll be quite happy if he does so, because the river could be ugly. Any Q, 7, J or A will diminish the value of your hand. You can't let villain take a free card if he is drawing to a straight, or has one pair trying to improve to two pairs or trips.
Unfortunately, your slowplay is punished by the poker gods. The river comes a 7, so now AA has a better two pair hand than you. If villain has AA, then even KQ is no good on this board.
Villain makes a small bet, and it seems OK to call, as you are at least beating AK, but I think villain is going to show you a better hand most of the time.

The main lessons to learn here are:
* If you play a marginal/trouble hand like KTs, then keep the pot small pre-flop. Don't bloat it, when you're only getting action from hands that have you beat.
* If you flop 2 pairs or better, don't slowplay. Make a raise and put villain to a tough decision. If he reraises, he usually has you beat, so you should get out of the way. Keep betting your made hands until villain gives you good reason to believe he has a better made hand.
* Try and work out what sort of hands a villain might have based on his pre-flop and post-flop actions. If those hands are beating yours and you don't have many outs, be more inclined to fold.

Hope this helps! Better luck with the next stage!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:05 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Sirthesurfer,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com