Since: Jul 2010
nit stats vp10 pr8 afq59 over 632 hands he 3 bets 3% calls 3 bet 7%

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 10:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi king,

First when we have a half stack nit who folds to 3-bets almost all the time, I really don't like 3-betting with KK because we end up totally cutting the value of the hand. It seems like about the only thing he won't fold to our 3b is the one hand that beats us, AA. There is a lot more value in keeping the bottom parts of his (already tight) opening range in the pot since we have position and a hand that dominates that entire range save for aces.

But we do 3b and get cold called by an unknown in the SB, and the nit opener folds as expected. Flop c-bet is good, general range for unknown probably includes lots of small-big pairs, and big aces. Depending on how loose/bad, maybe weaker hands, but who knows here.

I like the check back on the turn, without reads I think this board texture is the type we are only getting 1-2 streets of value from worse hands given the strength we've shown. Checking back makes it much more likely we actually get that 2nd street from worse (on the river), and in the unfortunate event we were up against AQ or JJ and about to be check-raised, it also allows us to realize our equity by seeing the river, which while only 2 outs against those hands, does give us stack action when we draw out.

So in summary I think the preflop play was not good vs a nit opener, but post flop was good imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com