Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi there,

I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

I have read this: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...nkroll-builder

Also I have read all the great things that PSO has to offer: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...erSchoolOnline

Can anyone help?

GyniE

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:39 AM
(#3)
Thank you for your quick reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
GyniE

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyNiE91 View Post
Thank you for your quick reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
GyniE
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

Hot Tip#1 : Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

First up please watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

Let me know as soon as you've had a chance to watch it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 07, 2013, 09:41 AM
(#5)
Thank you for the video and the acceptance into the Bankroll Builder.

I appreciate your help and I have watched the video.

Whats next?

Decided to hit the NL play money tables.

Had a few questions with the following hands.

--- HAND 1 ---

*Preflop*

Standard Raise + nice cards + position

*Flop*

I like leading out on the flop even with a paired board when I hit, as I feel it extracts the best value. Is this correct?

Half pot?

*Turn*

Turn is a clubs giving me a draw to the nut flush and I have aces up atm. Checked to me I lead out again. Half pot one again. Too little? too much?

Get called and really feel he is chasing.

*River*

Spike the club getting the nut flush, still worried about the paired board a little as Villain 8 has called all the way.

He pops out a minuscule defensive bet. At this point I believe if the defensive bet wasn't a misclick that he has some sort of hand with some showdown value and I seek to extract some value and bet 2/3 the pot. May have been a tad much, but I believe if he had an ace or a 4 in this position he would call.

He turns out to have the ace and I rake in a nice pot.

Bet Sizing? Alright?

--- HAND 2 ---

*Preflop*

I normally just limp in and don't mind a few limpets into the pot, as I am just hoping to spike a set on the flop or peel a free turn and hit it then.

Should I squeeze in this position? In hindsight 7 players into the pot is far too many, but in this position if raising is the best option what is the right bet size? If you bet too little the momentum of a few callers will bring everyone in. In the spirit of small ball poker the raise would be considered a fail. So the raise having to be large enough would have to be between the standard 3x+limp which would be 1400, and about 5x 1000.

*Flop*

Nice to be in position and see an over bet. Which to me doesn't seem like a set as there is no reason to bet so hard. If Villian 4 had queens he would more than likely raise, but there is a slim chance he has sixes. It really felt like a strong Queen or two pair.

Felt there was no reason to reraise and a flat was in order. Got worried when there was a second caller.

*Turn*

Once again check to Villain 4 who leads out 3/4 the pot. Nothing has changed, if I believe I was ahead on the flop I still think so now. The board is rainbow and not very connected. Still his range and the way he has played it shouts strong queen or two pair.

I elect to flat once again. And SB calls all in.

*River*

King comes off and I was not even slightly worried as I didn't feel that AJ was in the range of Villain 4 because of the way the hand played out, and his position.

Should I have raised pre flop to squeeze. Should I have flatted on both the flop and turn. Is a call valid on the river or should I just ship it?

--- HAND 3 ---

*Preflop*

Standard 4x raise, with one limper. Nice cards and great position. 2 callers to the flop

*Flop*

Checked to me, and hitting the board nicely, why not extract some more value rather than giving a free card. SB calls.

*Turn*

Checked to me and I bet just under half pot. Slightly worried and wanting to see what SB would do.

*River*

The ten of hearts. Action killer. SB checks it to me. I think for a second or two. I don't want to get check raised, and I have plenty of showdown equity. I elect to check and showdown.

I was lucky as he rivered the gunshot straight draw, and was looking to trap, by checking the river I saved myself quite a bit of money.

Should I have bet larger on the turn instead of being a little bit passive?
----------------------------
Hi guys,

Was wondering if everything was ok???...

Just woke up...

No hand analysis.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
GyniE

Last edited by GyNiE91; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: condensing thread

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 07:10 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Decided to hit the NL play money tables. Had a few questions with the following hands.
Thanks for posting these hands for review. I have asked one of the hand analysers to take a look at them for you and offer some feedback.

He should do this later today and once he does we can continue on from there.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wink
Phew - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#7)
I was getting a little worried.

I look forward to some review of the hands.

Cheers

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GyNiE91!

With AJs on the button, I'm going to make a standard raise, to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I'll raise to 1000.

The flop brings top 2 pair and when it's checked to me, I'm going to make a c-bet (value bet) of 2/3 pot (2200). If I was up against only one opp, I'd bet 1/2 pot, but with two, I need to up the amount.

On the turn, since I'm now up against only one opponent, I'll make my standard value bet of 1/2 pot (3250). My plan for the rest of the hand is that if I get raised, I'll muck and if they call, unless my hand improves, I'll check the river, since I have showdown value. **note, you said in your post that you bet 1/2 pot.. but the bet was a bit light. 1/2 pot here is 3250, not 3000**

The river gives me a flush and the opp makes an abnormally small bet. Since I'm going to have the best hand here the majority of the time, I'm going to raise to whatever I think the opp would call. Normally I'll size it at a little less than 1/2 the pot. Here, I'll raise to 5000. When the opp raises, since I have a made hand and am pot-committed, I'm absolutely calling.
--------------
With 33, since there are a number of limpers and I'm looking to setmine, I'm happy to limp behind. If it was folded to me, then I either need to raise or fold. I'm also NOT looking to squeeze here for this reason... I only have a very weak pair and if an opp re-raises me, I'd have to fold and lose a large number of chips, as my raise would have to be very large due to the multiple limpers. I wouldn't want to worry about the number of opps, as when I'm trying to setmine with a small/mid pair, the more opps in the pot, the merrier.

I flop bottom set on a VERY dry board. I now have an opp make an abnormally large bet (over double the pot). If it were a wet board, I'd want to be raising here, but with no flush or likely straight draws available (minus 45s), I'm going to call here.

The turn gives more straight draws and the opp now bets 3/4 pot (which is enough to price out the draws). With the draws being priced out, it would be a -EV play to call on a straight draw, I'm going to call again. If the opp bet low enough that a draw would have gotten the correct odds to draw, then I'd raise here.

The river K does make a straight to AJ, but if someone has AJ, they made negative plays on both the flop and the turn. The opp now bets 10k. Since I only have about 15k left, I'm going to shove the river. If they made negative plays all along and got lucky... so be it. I want the opps to have to make negative plays all along... because I expect to gain chips from them each and every time they do.
----------
With AQ, I'm going to make a standard raise, to 3BB+1BB or 800.
I flop top pair, top kicker against 2 opps. When it folds to me, I'm going to make a 2/3 pot value bet (1733). I need to bet this much due to the fact that a smaller bet can give the opps the correct odds to draw to the heart flush if both call.

The turn is a definite scare card for me, as I'm beat by any K. When the opp checks to me, I'm going to check behind here for pot control. If I do bet, I need to make a 1/2 pot bet (2600) and not lower, as I don't want to give the opp a +EV call (call a bet where they expect to gain chips from my bet).

The river completes the heart flush and also multiple straight draws. When the opp checks here, I'm absolutely going to check behind. I do have showdown value, but have no clue whether I have the best hand or not.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
(#9)
--- Hand 1 ---

When betting half pot etc, is it key to bet exactly half pot and exactly 2/3 pot etc??... If so is there some way, instead of typing the half bet, to bet half the pot or 2/3 of the pot etc.

--- Hand 2 ---

Realised the shove on the river was a given in hind sight. Also in regards to the player, I too wasn't worried about the straight at all. As well as the fact that he was UTG preflop and doesn't make sense to limp in that position. Either a raise or fold no? (if you were UTG with AJ)

If I had tens or nines in that situation would you then squeeze? How strong would your pair have to be preflop to squeeze for protection? JJ+?

--- Hand 3 ---

Isn't the chance that the opp is chasing hence the check on the turn to significant to check for pot control? I realise my bet was small but if he was chasing for the flush he doesn't have +EV with a 2k bet.

If he is chasing that flush or the straight he only has 15% or less to hit it on the river. Which would mean if he calls any bet over 1k is -EV no?

So if he calls while chasing, I win in the long run, and if he is ahead he would more often than not just check/raise at that point and I would release...???...

I hope I don't sound argumentative, just keen to learn

---

Thanks for the analysis on those hands John

Is there a next step, that I should complete?

Cheers

Last edited by GyNiE91; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Is there a next step, that I should complete?
Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Pretty Sure - Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:39 AM
(#11)
Pretty sure I have completed the basic assessment quiz.

Look forward to playing on the 1c/2c full ring NLHE

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Pretty sure I have completed the basic assessment quiz.

Look forward to playing on the 1c/2c full ring NLHE
You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

For beginners it's not advised to play short handed tables, so if 2/3 seats become empty it's a good idea to stand up also. As you become better at ranging opponents and playing an aggressive game you will feel more comfortable playing short handed tables but for now try to stick to the full ones.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Sun Mar 10, 2013, 08:52 AM
(#13)
Look forward to playing on the 1c/2c ring tables.

Any advice on the table selection.

As I am playing tight should I look for looser tables with a ~25-35%

Cheers,
GyniE

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:46 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Any advice on the table selection. As I am playing tight should I look for looser tables with a ~25-35%
Don't worry about that for now, just make sure that the tables are 1/2 c 9-Handed Tables with no (or few) empty seats.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Over a day - Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
(#15)
It has been nearly 30 hours I have waited.

How much longer do you think it may take?

Cheers

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Cheers
Hi GyNiE91,

Sorry about that, don't know why that happened. I've just tried to award you with your first buy-in again, if you don't get it by this time tomorrow please let me know and I'll investigate further.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:42 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Cheers
I've found out what's wrong, you still haven't passed the Poker Basic quiz.

Please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

Let me know once you have passed it.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Passed - Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:06 AM
(#18)
Scored 100%

Sorry I tried to take it and took the pre entry test and passed that.

Then when I tried to take the basic test, it said I had to wait, so I thought that maybe that was the test I needed to take.

Anyways fingers crossed it wont take more than a few hours to get that money.

Cheers

----

EDIT: Got the money, heading to the tables right now.

Cheers

Last edited by GyNiE91; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 08:25 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 05:40 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Got the money, heading to the tables right now.
Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wink
All Done!!! - Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:40 AM
(#20)
Haven't had as much time as I would have liked to play on the tables but here are what were asked of me.

I did loose a huge chunk of my $2 in the hand below. I am guessing that call on the turn there was not a great idea. The way he played it just confused me.

~~~ 1. Post an interesting hand ~~~

NOTE: I was not playing short handed. The hand previous we had a full table and half way through 2 people left, then part way through this hand 3 people left. As a result I was leaving after this hand.

~~~ 2. Watch the bet sizing video & answer the question ~~~

3 reasons you would bet big are:
~ To place significant pressure on opponents.
~ To protect strong holdings against draw heavy, wet, boards.
~ To bluff players of mediocre hands.

~~~ 3. Study and pass the cash game quiz ~~~

Completed it. Pretty cruisy.

-----

Look forward to your reply, and the hand analysis

Cheers,
GyniE

Last edited by GyNiE91; Thu Mar 14, 2013 at 01:34 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com