Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder

Old
Bankroll builder - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 07:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi, I would like to start the bankroll builder...

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik380 View Post
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 08:27 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retriving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#4)

Hi, this was my thought process for this hand. I could have won with two 9s but folded after the turn. Could you tell me how I could/should have played it?

- I was in the cut with 9 A off suit so I decided to call cheap to see the flop. There was nothing in the flop for me and everyone checked so I did the same to see the turn which gave me two 9s and some draws for the river. Three players ahead of me bet 20 and I thought any J or K are beating me so I folded. At the showdown the winner had two 6s so I would have won if i'd stayed in.

Did I bet right and fold at the right time?

Cheers, Nik.

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:

Cheers, Nik.
Hello Nik,

Thanks for posting this hand for review. I'll ask one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you and offer some feedback.

Remember only to play 9-Handed tables for this promotion

Once you get your reply from the Hand Anlayser we will continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

Hi, this was my thought process for this hand. I could have won with two 9s but folded after the turn. Could you tell me how I could/should have played it?

- I was in the cut with 9 A off suit so I decided to call cheap to see the flop. There was nothing in the flop for me and everyone checked so I did the same to see the turn which gave me two 9s and some draws for the river. Three players ahead of me bet 20 and I thought any J or K are beating me so I folded. At the showdown the winner had two 6s so I would have won if i'd stayed in.

Cheers, Nik.
Hi Nik!

Play money games are really loose so playing A9o as you did may be ok there. Folding as you did was smart. Don't get involved in multiway pots with middle pair, especially when a straight seems quite possible. Yes, you would have won this one, but in the long run it will cost you money.

Note, at real money 2NL, I would have suggested folding preflop. We need to ask ourselves what are we hoping to flop? With A9o, we won't be getting flush draws, nor are they connected so we won't be getting straight draws. Moreover, if you flop top pair with an A, you will often get out kicked. If you flop top pair with a 9, there is a strong chance that overcards will come on the later streets making for very difficult play.

Until you get more experience, I would stick with hands that allow for clear post flop play.

Finally, If you had had AJs+, then your hand would have been strong enough to raise preflop hoping to thin the field.

Hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi Nik,

Now please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

Let me know once you've passed it

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
(#8)
I finally passed - just! I re-read sections that were suggested before resits but as I didn't know which ones I got wrong, or what the correct answers should have been, it made learning from my mistakes very difficult...

Old
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I finally passed
Brilliant!

You'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 02:37 PM
(#10)

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 06:04 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you. He will do this within the next 24 hours.

Also please let me know as soon as you pass the Cash Game quiz so I can get your next bonus to you.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 12:25 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Nik380, I'll take a look at this hand for you.

QJs is a pretty good hand that can make decent straights and flushes, but isn't super-strong if it just makes one pair. I usually only play it when I'm attempting to steal the blinds from a seat in late position (the cutoff, or the button).
Here, you're in the hijack seat, 2 seats off the button. There are still 4 players yet to act, and there's a good chance one or two of them will have a better hand, so I'd fold pre-flop this time.
If I do enter the pot, I'm making a standard raise of 3 big blinds. A minraise to 4c isn't going to scare players into folding and indeed gives good odds for speculative hands to play. The big blind only needs to call 2c into a pot of 7c, so he's getting great pot odds to see a flop if he has a pocket pair, two Broadway cards or a suited connector.

You see a flop of 766, a "rainbow" of three suits. It's hard to hit this flop, but if villain called pre-flop with an overpair, or has a random 6, your hand has very little value, as you have just two overcards and no draw to a straight or flush.
The villain leads out for just under half pot. This bet looks weak, but I don't like raising here. There's really no need to make silly bluffs in microstakes games. Villains are usually betting because they think they have the best hand, and they don't often fold these hands when you raise. Also, your raise was just a minraise. Villain isn't going to fold for an extra 4c when there is 21c in the pot.

You see the turn, which gives you a flush draw, but a key thing to recognise here is that when there is a pair on the board, it's possible for villain to make a full house if he has a pocket pair, so you could make a flush and still lose all your chips.
The villain makes a strong bet here. He either has a decent made hand, or a strong draw. If he bet-called on the flop with 54, he had an open-ended straight draw that just got there. If he's drawing to a flush, you're in terrible shape, because he'll have an ace- or king-high flush draw.
With a bet size of 18c into 25c, the amount of equity you need to make a profitable call is 18/(18+25) = 42%. Since you might not even have clubs as outs, because villain can have a better flush draw or a full house, your equity is likely to be much less than this, so you should make a disciplined fold.
On the river, you make a flush and the villain bets about 2/3 of pot. He is only doing this with a flush or boat, because he wouldn't bet anything worse, as he'd be worried you had one of those hands. You are losing to all boats, and only beating a few flushes. The strong bet would lead me to believe villain has a king- or ace-high flush at worst. You can make a crying call if you think there is a fair chance villain has a worse hand (a 9-high flush, or trips maybe), but you cannot raise here. When raising for value, ask yourself "Can I get called by a worse hand?"
I don't think worse hand can call. Villain will show up with a hand that is close to the nuts.

A summary of the points to learn here:
1. Only play hands like QJs (and also 98s, KTs, A9s) in late position, usually in an attempt to steal the blinds.
2. Open a pot with a standard raise of 3 big blinds.
3. If you miss the flop, fold at the first opportunity.
4. Don't minraise as a bluff. It will hardly ever get a villain to fold.
5. Try to put villain on a hand/range. If his betting indicates he has a hand that beats yours, and you don't have a cheap price to hit a draw, then fold.
6. Big bets on the river usually mean big hands. A queen high flush might seem strong, but when a villain can have a better flush, or a full house, the most you can do is call. Don't raise when you'll only get action from better hands.

Hope this helps and you have better luck later on in this promotion.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Let me know as soon as you pass the Cash Game course and we'll get your next bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#14)
Hi Guys,

I have been playing some cash ring games as suggested, tight and aggressive, looking at the chart from the cash lessons. Every time I got a monster or strong hand I raised 3x BB as suggested and scared everyone off so I only got the blinds. I'm never going to get a decent pot like that am i? Is there not an argument to slow play a few so that I pull in some money?

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:27 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you and he will do this within the next 24 hours.

Please let me know when you have passed the Cash Game course

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 02:43 AM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have been playing some cash ring games as suggested, tight and aggressive, looking at the chart from the cash lessons. Every time I got a monster or strong hand I raised 3x BB as suggested and scared everyone off so I only got the blinds. I'm never going to get a decent pot like that am i? Is there not an argument to slow play a few so that I pull in some money?

Hi Nik380

I strongly suggest sticking to the standard bet sizes for several reasons. Yes, there can be situations where slowplaying is your best line. However, I would wait until you have more experience before delving into these spots. They are an exception to the rule. At 2NL people will pay you off when they have the second best hand. Therefore, slowplaying often costs you value because you are betting less and therefore getting less money in the pot. More importantly, big pairs like KK and AA play best against a single opponent. You don't want to be limping/min-raising preflop and getting a string of callers. This often creates situations where you lose a huge pot. Finally, I personally don't feel that having "just a pair" is strong enough to warrant slowplaying. I would want to have top set, nut flush, nut straight or better before even considering slowplaying. In other words the best situations for slowplaying occur post flop against a villain who is doing the betting for you. Slowplaying preflop either costs you value or gets you in a difficult spot most of the time. Now lets take a look at your hands.

First hand KK: You said "Every time I got a monster or strong hand I raised 3x BB as suggested". Here you have a monster but you raised 5x. This is too big. You created a spot where you got value owned. You bet so much that all the hands you are beating will fold. Note, you never want to change your bet/raise size because of your cards. This becomes an easy tell for an observant opponent. By sticking to the standard 3x, you conceal the strength of your hands. You might have KK or you might have 72o.

Second hand 99: You played this one perfectly and had good bet sizing. Winning the blinds is a good result with a middle pair like 99. If you get called, overcards usually come on the flop which can make for tricky situations. You will only hit a set 1 in 8 times.

Third hand AK: Min-raising can be dangerous. But again, picking up the blinds is not a bad thing here. AK is clearly a premium hand, but notice that it is not a made hand. You will not always flop a pair. Worse, anyone with a small pair is getting great implied odds to see the flop.

At 2NL you will not have a problem getting callers preflop on most tables. You seemed to be at a pretty tight table here. Keep raising your stong preflop hands for value and you will get the action you want soon enough. I do recommend that you stick to the standard 3x plus 1x for each limper though. The benefits of this far outweigh any drawbacks at 2NL.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:53 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Please let me know when you have passed the Cash Game course

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com