Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hot £33 AK in sb against 4 limpers

Old
Hot £33 AK in sb against 4 limpers - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Not sure if I made a bad play or just wound up because of the result. 4 limpers I decided to shove with 18BB stack. My thinking was that I would thin down the field because I didn't want to play a 6 way pot. Everything seemed to go to plan. But the guy who called me just said lol as if I had made a stupid play. It seemed OK to me or is it just too risky?

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Hi willhebe,

Your play here looks good to me. The guy calling with is really the one who made the mistake here, and he got lucky. With your actual hands, you were about a 60/40 favorite to win. However, unless this guy had some reason to think that you would push all-in with a very weak hand, he made a huge mistake. If you had something like , you would be about a 77/23 favorite to win, and it gets worse for him from there.

Regarding him saying "lol", my wife has complained a few times recently about how this acronym has been corrupted over time--it rarely means "laughing out loud" anymore. In a lot of cases, it is basically the equivalent of saying "in your face!" or something similar, and I think the guy here was probably just rubbing in the fact that he got horribly lucky. (Lots of jerks in online poker!)

I hope you made a note on that player, that he would call such a huge bet with such a weak hand. Next time you encounter him, you will know that it may be worthwhile to push all-in with decent hands, because this guy will pay you off with pretty weak holdings!

Overall, I think you had only four realistic options in this situation:

1) fold
2) limp behind and re-evaluate on the flop
3) make a standard raise (to 840 in this case, 3bb + 1bb/limper)
4) push all-in

With four limpers and an unmade hand like AKo, I like the push. You are just a few chips off of being the short stack at the table, and folding to wait for a better hand (i.e. JJ+ or AKs) doesn't make much sense to me, since there aren't many better hands, and there is a lot of dead money in this pot if you can scare off some limpers.

Limping behind would leave you out of position in a six-handed pot, which is almost sure to put you in some very bad spots post-flop.

The standard raise would have been more than a third of your stack, and would have invited more callers, but AKo is much better heads-up, so you are right in thinking you want to thin down the field. Pushing at this point also eliminates your positional disadvantage.

Keep playing it like this, and you'll be ahead more often than behind, I think!

-- CanuckMonkey

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 01:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi willhebe

CanuckMonkey did a good job analysing your and but here's my 2 cents.

Loved the way you played the hand I wouldn't have played it any other way. This shove is standard, there's a ton of dead money in the middle and our shove can look like a squeeze so we will be called a lot by worse hands and a lot of the time we will be called by hands that we crush 'hands like 'A10/KQ'. We only had 19 big blinds to start the hand so I'm shoving this hand regardless if anybody limped or not, all the limpers just add to our ev

When the guy types 'lol' I agree with CanuckMonkey, it's definitely an 'in your face lol'

Nice hand, unlucky ! Chris.

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks guys. I was so upset at the time after getting through a satellite to play one of the biggest buyins I've ever played and it was over so quickly! Will keep trying.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com