Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AA flopping set

Old
AA flopping set - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (4 handed)

Hero (BB) (t2,425)
UTG (t1,650)
Button (t2,975)
SB (t1,950)

Hero's M: 32.33

Preflop: Hero is BB with ,
UTG bets t125, 2 folds, Hero raises to t250, UTG calls t125

Flop: (t525) , , (2 players)
Hero bets t150, UTG raises to t375

Great, finally I get AA, and then I hit top set - action killer. How can I maximize my profit? I have no read on villain apart from the fact that his preflop calling range is a bit loose. He could have anything JTo or better.

Option 1: half pot c-bet, he probably folds.
Option 2: checking - that smells of trapping, and I am almost sure he does not try to bluff at it.
Option 3: a min-bet, trying to induce a bluff. However, he makes only a small raise, and now I do not know how to get more money in. If I 4-bet, he folds his bluffs. If I just call, he will probably check turn and river anyway.

So, coaches, how do I get all his chips?

Olaf

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 02:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#3)
Hi Olaf,

It is important to remember sometimes you just can't get all your opponents chips. Yes you have a hand but unless your opponent can make a hand as well it's unlikley to be able to get it in no matter what you do. The thing to focus on is getting the money in when they do have a hand.

I don't like Option 3. It smells just as much a trap as Option 2. And doesn't grow the pot at all. If you check the opponent would be more likely to make a normal size bet than when you min bet, they are more likley to just call.

Normally the best way to get the money in is to play normally, betting strong for value.

Preflop I'd like a bigger raise. 325 or something. On the flop if it was a rainbow then checking might be an option cause such a dry board it's very difficult for opponent to have anything. With 2 spades I think you are best off just cbetting. If a spade comes on the turn you will either lose the pot or the action so may as well try and get it in now.

Don't try and and be tricky at microstakes. Do the basics and let your opponent make the mistake.

Don't think negatively like you do in Option 1. If you bet he folds. If he doesn't have an Ace or two spades you probably aren't getting any more money out of him anyway, if he does this is your oppurtunity to stack him.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 07:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks, Andy, that was very helpful!
Olaf

Old
Fri Mar 08, 2013, 08:07 PM
(#5)
This is a four-handed game. As the size of the table decreases, the hands people play should widen. If they don't the blinds eat you up. With opponents on weaker hands you are less likely to get paid off on a great hand. Hence you find more tricky and trappy play.

If you suspect your opponent is tricky, which line do you think is optimum? Play tricky back, i.e. slow play, or a convectional c-bet?

Good decisions.

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
This is a four-handed game. As the size of the table decreases, the hands people play should widen. If they don't the blinds eat you up. With opponents on weaker hands you are less likely to get paid off on a great hand. Hence you find more tricky and trappy play.

If you suspect your opponent is tricky, which line do you think is optimum? Play tricky back, i.e. slow play, or a convectional c-bet?

Good decisions.
Hi TrumpinJoe,

Along with opponents widening their range preflop they will also continue more often with weaker holdings. Opening alot of hands and Cbetting alot ourselves will get us paid off more often in this situation.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com