Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Fri Mar 08, 2013, 03:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi!

I just joined PokerSchoolOnline and would like to participate in Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best,
Marko

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 07:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasarhai View Post
Hi!

I just joined PokerSchoolOnline and would like to participate in Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best,
Marko
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 09, 2013, 10:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi vasarhai,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 03:21 AM
(#4)
I have attended in Getting started live training. Also played quite a few play money games and tournaments.
What are the next steps?

Didn't bother with hand replayer since people tend to be very loose with play money and call all-ins with even less odds than coin flips. It all came down to luck.

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:20 AM
(#5)
I have attended live courses and played many freerolls and play money ring games.
Waiting for next steps now.

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:34 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have attended live courses and played many freerolls and play money ring games.
Waiting for next steps now.
Please post a Play Money hand using the hand replayer and let us know as soon as you have passed the Poker Basic course.

You must do the steps required before you get a bonus.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 AM
(#7)
This rather usual situation came up. I was in BB and was dealt pocket 77. I wasn't quite sure if I should bet after the flop, as it seemed other players may have missed it and my 77 would easily be the current best hand. But being out of position, I wasn't sure and checked. After the turn, it was clear someone hit and was easy fold.

Second case was also from BB. I was dealt a trash hand but as everybody limped in, I checked. Couldn't have hit the flop any better with trip 5-s. I raised the usual 80-100% pot and was reraised. I raised triple the raise and was again raised to all-in. I called as I was sure to have the best hand, regardless of all in. Turn brought 8c and opponent completed straight.
Was it just luck, or I took too many chances with this hand? Opponent went all-in in flop with only a gutshot draw to straight, knowing no other combination will help him.

I already completed basic course.

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi vasarhai!

With 77 in the BB, there is a limp, min-raise and two calls. I'm going to call here and try to setmine, because there are a number of opps already in the pot and my stack's deep enough.

The flop does have a higher pair, but it missed anyone playing high cards. Since I'm out of position, I'm going to lead out here for two reasons, for value and to see where I'm at with the hand. While I'd like to bet less, due to having 3 opps in the pot, I'll size my bet at 3/4 pot (15 chips). My plan for the rest of the hand is that if I'm raised, I'll muck and if I'm called, I'm not going to put another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

I agree with the fold when the 10 hits, as by not betting the flop, any opp that had a 10 (well within their ranges) saw the card that can beat me for free and both of them should have folded to a flop bet (since they had nothing but two weaker overcards).
------
With J5o, I'm more than happy to see a free flop from the BB. It's way too weak of a hand to call a raise with.

I flop trips with a decent kicker and when it checks to me, I'm going to make a pot-sized bet due to the large number of opps in the hand (12 chips).
I now get min-raised that is also called by two opps. If I was up against only one opp, I'd re-raise to 3X their bet, but with the other callers, I'm going to make a pot-sized raise to 102.
An opp then shoves and seeing how the only hands that I'm behind are 77, Q5, K5, A5, I'm immediately calling it.
Unfortunately, the opp had a draw that hits on the turn, but by making the abnormally large shove, they made a bet that they expect to LOSE chips on average from (-EV play). This also means that as their opp, I expect to GAIN chips by calling them here (+EV play). The goal in poker is to make plays where I expect to gain chips each time. While unfortunately, it didn't work out this time (and I'll always lose a given % of the time), it's a positive play in the long run and I'll continue to make it.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant vasarhai!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#10)
Thanks for your review. I'll keep those points in mind.

To answer the question why make big bets
- Bet for value.
- Put pressure on opponents.
- Protect against strong draws.
- Bluff opponents out of possibly better hands.

Cash game course is completed and I played 1/2 cent tables.
Unfortunately those games didn't go well. Probably because it was my first time for real money and it put some pressure on me.
In first hand my mistake was to bet on flop after seeing Q appear. Should have checked/folded. Instead I went all the way.
And the second hand, I got KK but the flop was scary and turn just awfully bad. I decided not to put any more money in with so many possible draws out there.

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:49 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Thanks for your review. I'll keep those points in mind.

To answer the question why make big bets
- Bet for value.
- Put pressure on opponents.
- Protect against strong draws.
- Bluff opponents out of possibly better hands.

Cash game course is completed and I played 1/2 cent tables.
Unfortunately those games didn't go well. Probably because it was my first time for real money and it put some pressure on me.
In first hand my mistake was to bet on flop after seeing Q appear. Should have checked/folded. Instead I went all the way.
And the second hand, I got KK but the flop was scary and turn just awfully bad. I decided not to put any more money in with so many possible draws out there.

Hi vasarhai!

Interesting hands!

First hand JJ: Preflop looks great You get one caller who has position on you and one overcard on the flop. A read would help to know if it is better to check-call on the flop or lead with a bet. Without a read, I would c-bet as you did most of the time. However, you bet 12 cents into a pot of 16. This is too big. I recommend making a standard half pot bet of 8 cents here. Once you get called you need to get careful. There is an overcard to your JJ and you are out of position. I would not lead with another barrel on the turn without having a solid read on the villain. Moreover, just like the flop, if you are going to bet, make it half the pot 20 cents rather than going large to 36 cents as you did. By betting large you create a spot wher you get value owned. This means all the hands you are beating (smaller pairs) fold. This costs you money. Worse, the only hands that will call you are the ones beating you which means you will lose more money.

In unclear spots where you do have a made hand, it is better to aim for pot control. Try to see the turn and river cheaply. Your hand may improve if you hit a set. Your hand may actually be best winning the pot at showdown. And you keep the pot small in case you are behind.

Second hand KK: There was a lot of action preflop in this hand with three players getting involved before it gets to you. KK is a very strong hand, but it plays best against a single opponent. I strongly suggest raising much more than you did preflop. You made a mini 3-bet which gives everyone good odds to call. This creates a horrible post flop situation for you. The standard 3-bet size would be 3x the original raise plus 1x for each caller. Here I would suggest raising to about 24 - 30 cents. Hopefully you will thin out your opponents and if you win the pot preflop that is fine.

Yeah, the flop is pretty horrible with the A. Against a single opponent this would be another spot to work on pot control by check-calling. Against two folding as you did is fine. It is safe. Being able to lay down big starting hands postflop is a very important skill that many struggle to learn. Impressive fold

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:54 AM
(#12)
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep these considerations in mind
What should I do to earn next part of bankroll?

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Fantastic vasarhai!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com