Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Shove or fold? Big Bang L5 75/150 blinds

Old
Shove or fold? Big Bang L5 75/150 blinds - Sun Mar 10, 2013, 03:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
A hand that was eating me up because I made a very tight fold due to tiredness and lack of judgement.

Is it ever sensible to fold in a spot like this? both players were playing a TAG style and never saw anyone raising or shoving with anything particularly weak.

Having said that, the effective stack sizes are so small that I'm thinking it's simply not going to be profitable folding in a spot like this, even with the risk of an AA or KK appearing every now and then.

Thoughts?

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey mimesis.is

I like to call an all in here. UTG is shoving a very wide range of hands with his small 8 big blind stack and the majority of the table should know this so I expect most villains in player 7's shoes to reshove a 19 bb stack with hands like AJ+ and medium to high pocket pairs.

We have UTG's range crushed and imo we are ahead of player 7's range more often than not so I love getting it in. We won't have a tremendous amount of equity being all in against 2 players but we can win a side pot and we usually have at least one of these guys crushed.

With only 15 big blinds left we need to chip up and this is a great spot to go ahead and do it.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:59 AM
(#3)
Thanks Chris, will keep that in mind in the future!

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 01:00 AM
(#4)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
all 3 of you don't have many very BB's so you definitely want to look for spots to get in your chips w/ strong equity. This is definitely a very good spot for you to get it in because your opponent's are going to shove very wide because their stacksizes are very small. So it's very possible that you get it in vs 2 better hands or something similar like you posted. Even if you're up against a pocket pair like QQ and JJ, you are still in great shape there.

Something to keep in mind that's small but you hold AK so if the chances of your opponents holding AA and KK go down due to hand combinations.

Last edited by nanonoko; Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 13, 2013, 01:57 AM
(#5)
ohmygodadvicefromnanonoko!!!

I actually thought that that spot was marginal at the time, something that no doubt comes from not playing enough MTT's. I'll definitely be focusing on fixing this leak in future tourneys

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com