Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6max Zoom, AA OTB vs BB weird river line

Old
5NL 6max Zoom, AA OTB vs BB weird river line - Sun Mar 10, 2013, 08:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi,

The villain plays 30/25, 2.8 aggro factor with BB VPIP of 43 over 108 hands. (not enough data for donkbets - he did it 1/3 times so far)

This hand really got me confused. I think that when he donks out half pot on that flop his range is pretty wide and I want to keep it that way so I do not raise. OTT he bets again so what does he have? I still do not think that I am beat but QJ with 2 pair starts to become a real possibility. Now the river comes a 2, total brick and he checks. Why? In my experience it is either: missed draw which gives up or a marginal hand that now want to go to showdown and give me an opportunity to bluff in case I have a missed draw. The 2 is actually a great card because now I do not need to worry about QJ (but I still do not see why he would check that OTR).

Now the decision is on me. How much do I bet on the river? I feel that a regular value bet would not make much sense since a missed draw will just fold to any bet and a hand like KQ might be in check call mode and pay off a much bigger bet. Whenever I think someone goes to check call mode I like to oblige and bet big which he might expect with a missed draw. Fortunately for me there are several draws I can represent: T9, KT or I could have floated him with AhTh or AhKh. Therefore I decided to bet big thinking he might look me up with something as weak as AJ or QT but instead he check raises?? What on earth does that mean? I do not see him taking this line with a set which rivered a boat and how can he take this line with just a deuce? Furthermore, how can he expect me to value bet there? I am probably checking most of my marginal hands and only value betting AQ or better. Therefore, neither of his value hands makes any sense and in these situations I am usually inclined to call.

Do you think it is a +EV call?
Should I have taken a different line?
Is there something wrong with my thought process here?

Thanks

Tommy

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi TommyGun369.

You've posted some good information here and I think your analysis is excellent. If villain had been check-calling all the way, then a check-raise or donk on the river is usually a hand that is close to the nuts, but villain took a very unconventional line. I often find it is aggro players that make weird moves like this and I've had to make lots of hero calls with much worse than an overpair.

I think your river value bet is a little large, as it's hard to get called by much worse, as most of the time I think villain's donkbets were with a draw that missed, and he's not going to call a PSB with KT high or something like that.

Because villain's line looks very bluffy, I'm always calling his check-raise. If he shows up with 66 for a turned boat, or quads with 22, then lucky him, because he'd be missing value with those hands when you check behind.
In short, I think it's an EV call, and I'd be making it 100% of the time based on the information you provided.
If you lost this one, I hope you made a good note on villain's weird line, as he'll no doubt take a similarly weird one in a similar situation, so you'll know to get out of the way if he check-raises the river in future.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com