Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

My bad beat of a lifetime

Old
My bad beat of a lifetime - Sun Mar 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Here's the situation:final table 2nd or 3rd in chips,top 3 get packages to play poker in an Eureka side event (my dream to play an live event)+there was an amazing moeney at stake first place almost 800 euros.Then this hand happened and my dreams crushed...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...539_DFC8660B6C

Right after that just when i thought it's not all over yet this happened:
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...627_47871C0C71

It's seems that my dream will never come true...i played this satelite last week to on the bubble i was 2nd in chips and got it allin preflop with KK against chipleader with A8off and lost ofc...i didn't even cash then

And now someone tell me how to motivate myself to play my A game again

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
The first one is not a bad beat. You put the money in when you were behind.

I know what you mean though about shrugging off bad beats, a walk a different activity will help. I went and shoveled the deck after going out in 8th in the Horse today after a few dubious plays by me, but relised
a) I did well to get to the final table
and b) if i was in that situation again I would play it that way. I was 7th of 8 and next pay jump was not till 4th

I could blind out waiting or try to move up. I feel going over the tourny some spots i played poorly but overall i played well and made good decisions, yes i had my share of luck and bad as well as good.

so it comes down to are you making the right decisions? if yes keep on playing if no then your in the right place to help you learn more, i sure know i am...

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 07:24 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strahilius View Post
It's seems that my dream will never come true...i played this satelite last week to on the bubble i was 2nd in chips and got it allin preflop with KK against chipleader with A8off and lost ofc...i didn't even cash then
If this is a satty where everyone gets the same ticket, why did you play against the only stack that could take you out. It is +EV to fold AA in such a spot.

Good decisions.

Old
Sun Mar 10, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hey Strahilius ...

To answer your question from the other thread ... there was a long awkward silence after I hit that three-outer or whatever, but I guess whatever isn't said out loud doesn't offcially count, eh? lol

Anyways ... having to deal with late-game beats was actually one of the reasons I moved to cash ... I mean like the downswings at the cash table are just as bad, but at least you can sit down and get up whenever you feel like it.

But I guess that's not quite the same. There was a blog in the blog section about a situation that was though - don't know if you saw Paul7036's WBCOOP entry, but maybe sometimes it's nice hear similar stories from people who have been in our shoes?

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=41698

His challenge thread is here in case you wanted to see that too:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8time-vault%29

PS Man, that was a long silence ... <awkward> lol!!

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:42 AM
(#5)
It was a 22 euros tournament with regular pay structure and on top on the money the first 3 spots get packages for eureka poker tour.
I know u put my money in behind but i don't think you will find anyone that will fold in that situation especaily beacuse that opponent was very aggressive

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#6)
funny thing is that the guy that took almost all my chips in that KK-AA hand didn't get a package despite the huge chip advantage he finished 4th winning "just" 320.25 euros

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
i don't think you will find anyone that will fold in that situation especaily beacuse that opponent was very aggressive
I'm sorry, strahilius, but I'm going to have to disagree with you and agree with TrumpinJoe. You want to protect your chips (and your dreams) at this point and playing big pots against big stacks can be a nightmare. You should have been trying to play against the shorter stacks. You also have to remember that pocket aces at the end of the day is just the highest ranking pair. I believe the average hand that is a showdown winner is 2 pair.

I'm curious, what did you think the villain had? You say he was aggressive but you realize good players play aggressively, right? If you thought he was a bad player, I try to remind myself that bad players get good cards sometimes too.

I hope you don't get discouraged by this because you will often find yourself thinking you're ahead but end up losing no matter how well you play. As in life, it's important to understand where you went wrong and how to correct it to prevent it from happening again. Don't focus on the end result but the decisions that got you there.

Good luck!

iggyo

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#8)
Okay here's my explanation:He raised UTG,because he was aggressive i puted him od QJs KJs KQoff+ and 55+.I knew that if i raised allin there he would have folded everything except QQ KK and maybe AKs,but i wanted him in the pot because for sure he had a worse hand than me.Also by calling i could have been shoved on by the BB with A-10off+ and some pockets pair leading the UTG raiser to either put himself allin to isolate or to fold.
Afterflop:On that K 10 2 board there were few hand that had me beat according to his range:pocket tens and pocket kings,but those were highly unlikely because it's a two-outer.I went allin immidiately after his continuation bet because there were some flush and str8 posibilities and i could have been called from top pair or even QQ JJ if he thought i was on a draw.I never put him on K-10 or pocket deuces there.
I made this play so i can get max value and go for the win as i always do and i don't think you may prove me wrong .
Anyway it is a bad beat because seeing the cards the money are going in the middle either preflop or postflop,if someone folds aces there it's a minus Ev play for sure

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#9)
On the Turn he is putting in nearly 1/4 of his stack so you need to pause and consider what he might do that with.

KK TT Can't rule them even if each is a 2 outer that's 4 outs 3 times for the flop don't forget.

What else might he do this with Combo draw to a straight and the flush.

Put these into Poverstove and they are a slight favorite on that range. Now could i fold aces here Probably not but that's a weakness in my game. if the goal is the ticket I need to be awire of my odds of winning the hand here with one pair. (didn't even consider the steal with suited KT)

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:07 PM
(#10)
Well that bet might be a set,top pair hand looking for a shove from lower pair and induce bluff and ofc a bluff itself and not risking much chips in doing it.
I really think any player can't fold this can't believe you are saying that

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Well that bet might be a set,top pair hand looking for a shove from lower pair and induce bluff and ofc a bluff itself and not risking much chips in doing it.
I really think any player can't fold this can't believe you are saying that

i Know i cant fold this hand but I'm sure more experienced sattilite players could.

throw it up in the hand analysis forum and ask?

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#12)
you were reading carefully it was a normal pay structure those eureka packages were just added so it was worth playing for first.I coudn't just fold my way into the top 3 had to play some poker.These guys were all very aggresive so i coudnt open a lot of pots so tell my if i fold AA what hand should a play

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:32 PM
(#13)
Quote:
you were reading carefully it was a normal pay structure those eureka packages were just added so it was worth playing for first.I coudn't just fold my way into the top 3 had to play some poker.These guys were all very aggresive so i coudnt open a lot of pots so tell my if i fold AA what hand should a play

Thats too easy...

A winning one.

seriously its only 1 pair you can not fold a pair?

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:45 PM
(#14)

There's the pay structure.Now about the hand:Yes im third in chips but i still need to double up once more to make it in top 3.This hand was perfect except he got a set obviously.So you are telling me that you would called there for set mining and you would always fold if your hand isn't the nuts??You must be folding a lot of pocket aces lol...

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:50 PM
(#15)
Quote:
... It's seems that my dream will never come true...i played this satelite last week to on the bubble i was 2nd in chips and got it allin preflop with KK against chipleader with A8off and lost ofc...i didn't even cash then ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
If this is a satty where everyone gets the same ticket, why did you play against the only stack that could take you out. It is +EV to fold AA in such a spot.

Good decisions.
My reference was to a satty with a flat payout. Depending on the value of the package, the top three may fit that criteria. In that case the bubble is actually 4th.

With a large but not dominating stack I am only going up against big stacks when I am likely to be way ahead, especially if they like to play sheriff (i.e., little fold equity). Unless the money is shallow, less than 20-25 big blinds, I try to avoid all-in pre-flop against one that can eliminate or damage me.

With out knowing the stack sizes and styles of the players I can't say what I would have done.

However, if this is the bubble and I am 2nd stack and there are short stacks at the table I am trying to only play against them.

Good decisions.

Old
Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2013
Bad beat of a lifetime.
Slow playing Aces and getting it in bad against a set.
70/30 flip.

Pick 1 of the 3.

Old
re post - Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2011
ok im no expert, but first thing i agree this isnt really a bad beat, now secondly if your read is you have an aggressive opp, why not 3 bet pre flop, or just get it all in right here, theres about 10k chips in the pot, so if the opp folds we take a nice pot uncontested and are still live in the tourney if he calls, its the same end result anyway, with the range you put the opp on (and the aggressive style), why not flat call the flop bet if the turn brings a card to complete the flush or straight, re evaluate your position in the hand, a fold here whilst not ideal would keep you in the game and with a bigger stack than half the table, another thought to consider is when your opp min raises utg (less than 2.5 bb) this is often a sign of real strength , he is looking for a caller, as he could've easily 3.5x-4x the blind here to push out all the ace rag type hands and making all the short stacks all in to play (which they should be anyway). gl with your dreams ,would be great to flick on the tele and see anyone from the pso in a big live event

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:51 AM
(#18)
Let's look from my opponent perspective:he opens from UTG and the SB who still haven't played a single hand on the FT (that hand was around 15th hands played)3bets him.Actually in the late stages my game was just steal blinds and call allins.I didn't do a single 3bet!If he was following that which i assume he was because we were at the same table before FT and i think he was a good player he would put me on KK AA and fold everything else.And you are telling me that just those 10k chips in the pot is enough value with my aces?With that tactics i will need a lot of set-ups like this one to win the tournament,but with just calling i have a bigger chance to get his stack.Yes i got my money in bad after flop but that was so unlucky and it was a bed beat,getting AA vs KK on FT and the third K come.No matter how i play this hand either allin preflop or postflop ending my dream to play an live tournament.
One of you mentioned that i should have called the bet and see if some of the draws hit on the turn.Well if i only called there the turn is a harmless looking 6 which doesn't complete any draw and i check again he will surely move allin and ofc i have to call that.There isn't a single chance folding aces in this situation and that what makes it my worst bad beat story ever,especialy considering what was on the line.I simply can't beliveve you are actually saying i was playing bad there and even mentioning a fold...

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:02 AM
(#19)
Just for the record:i played the same satelite the week before.I was in top 5 stacks with 30 players left,3 more players till ITM.I got KK min raised from mid position and the guy that was a chipleader on the tourney went allin from the button.It was almost on the bubble he assumed that i will fold almost everything there in order to get my min cash of 35 euros.So what do you think i did?Not fold lol wrong answer again,i called obviously and you know the story after that,he spiked an A and won that gigantic pot and with that chip advantage over the others he easily won his ticket to Eureka afterwards.If i won that hand almost sure i would have gotten that ticket.
My point is that making that deep twice in two tournaments proves i'm doing something right (like not being afraid to play against the bigger stacks) and only thing that stopped me from winning was bad luck.After all these comments i am considering changing my game which might is the winning one when the luck is at my side.

Last edited by strahilius; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 01:22 AM..

Old
re post - Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:58 AM
(#20)
Since: Aug 2011
i dont think your opp is folding his kk, to a 3 bet or shove ,but it seems your saying he will put you on AA KK from your previous history together if you take this line and may fold, to me that would be more desirable than what the outcome was, sure its not max value if he does fold but your still live and may get many more chances to put your chips in, it also puts the pressure on your opp to make the harder decision , i dont think anyone is saying you played badly ,and you said you were 2nd or 3rd in chips, there are 3 players very short stacked, if you manage to find a fold and they go out before you you become a 50/50 chance at getting your ticket package

http://youtu.be/O2UYwlejYJg

this link might not work from here but if you copy paste it to your browser it should

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com