Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MTT : Late Registration or not?

Old
Question
MTT : Late Registration or not? - Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi pokerfriends

I was wondering what you all think about late registration for MTT's? What do you prefer, late registration or not? and why?

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I prefer to be in there at the start, picking up reads, and hopefully also some chips. Since most of the fish are likely bust out sooner or later, you want to play some pots against them while you have the chance. The longer you wait before entering, the more likely it becomes that only the best players are left in. And the last thing you want is to be up against better players with bigger stacks than yours.

About the only time I'd consider registering late is when stacks are super deep and the structure is very slow, as I don't have the stamina to play for multiple hours, and want to be fresh when the blinds become "meaningful". (Phil Hellmuth usually turns up late for the WSOP Main Event. I think he does this partly because he doesn't want to get too tilted by really bad play early on. Nevertheless, if you have an edge on the field, it's +EV to play more hands, not fewer.)

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DonV73!

With one exception, I want to be in there from the start because registering late lets the fish give up their chips before I'd get in. I want every opportunity that I can to get a made hand against a fish where hopefully I can stack them.

The one time I would consider a late reg is in a satty or high % payout, where I could reg late and basically not have to play a hand to get ITM. These don't happen often, but do happen because I've done it!

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
it depends............

me...l'm in there on time,

but l know proven winners that love to start late,

so that being said....hiccup

it depends on the person, there is no one way.

cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com