Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL been 3 bet by SB so can i set mine here?

Old
Question
5NL been 3 bet by SB so can i set mine here? - Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

The Small Blind was playing fairly no nonsense Tight Aggresive. This was the first time I had raised from a Steal opportunity(passed 6 previously).

So I think I'm ahead but I want to call because if he does have JJ+ and I hit a 9 I think I can get paid off.

Is this just wishful thinking and do I just let it go?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Versus a frequent restealer, I'd sometimes 4-bet here., but if this guy isn't getting out of line, I'd look at the implied odds of stacking him with a set.

When set-mining, I usually want implied odds of 15:1 or better.
Here you need to call 30c.
If we multiply by the price of calling by 15, we find the minimum size of pot we are preparared to try and win.
15 * 30c is $4.50. There's already 65c in the middle, and effective remaining stack is $4.60.
Since the amount of profit you can make is 4.60 + 0.65 = $5.15, I think calling to set-mine is fine here, because you have decent odds.
The maximum implied odds are 515:30 which is more than 17:1. That's good enough for me.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 09:31 AM
(#3)
TY Arty,

In the actually hand I did call hoping to set mine. After the hand I was wondering if going from aggressor to passive was going to set off to many alarm bells.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:23 AM
(#4)
An observant villain with good notes/reads might well put you on a range very accurately (something like TT-22, AQ, Axs, KQs) but at these stakes I think they'll still stack off if they connect with the flop. At higher stakes set-mining won't be quite as profitable and you'll have to bluff sometimes when you miss, but playing "spike or hike" here is fine.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Agree with Arty. If villain is re-stealing a ton in blind battles, you can consider value 4-betting 99. It gains a lot of value in those situations because villain will have some sort of light 3-betting range which will often include 22-88 or some combo of those.

As that is not the case here, calling makes a lot of sense considering the pot/implied odds Arty laid out and also the fact that we have position post-flop. Having position makes calling more reasonable, and being out of position makes calling less reasonable.

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
(#6)
TY guys,

I will try to apply it well. It this particular case i did call

Click to show hidden text

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#7)
This hand turned out perfectly for you as villain did indeed have a hand he would stack off with.
(If I was villain here, I'd actually fold TT to your flop raise, because it's not beating anything and is only flipiing with AJhh or a hand like that.)

I think your flop raise is a little large. Not only does it make it slightly easier for villain to get away from an overpair or FD (and definitely air), but it means you'll only have a half pot bet to put in on the turn if he calls on the flop.
When I'm committed to stacking off on the next card, I like to choose a bet size that is around a third of my remaining stack, by dragging the bet-slider instead of hitting the pot button. If you make it $1.60 and villain calls, there'll be $4.15 in the pot and you'll be shoving $3.15 on the turn. I think this sizing is much more likely to be called by the range we are targetting here.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com