Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
Thumbs up
bankroll builder - Fri Mar 15, 2013, 03:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Greetings
I am quite new to Pokerstars and poker aswell and would like to participate in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi norbikasd,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbikasd View Post
Greetings
I am quite new to Pokerstars and poker aswell and would like to participate in the bankroll builder promotion.
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 08:42 AM
(#4)
Hello and thanks for the opportunity.
Here is a hand I recently played.

What do you think about my play?
Thanks,
your humble servant norbikasd

Edit: I forgot to mention that I completed the Poker Basic course and watched the 'Getting Started' video.

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi norbikasd!

With K8s, I have an abnormally large shove (47BB) in front of me. With K8, I'm going to instantly muck this here. It's definitely not a strong enough hand to call a shove with (I wouldn't even call a standard raise with it). Just because I have an ace or suited cards, doesn't mean the hand is playable, especially when out of position. When I'm out of position, I only want to be playing premium hands.

If I was in the hand and saw that I hit top pair on the flop, I need to make a value bet here and I need to size it based on the number of opponents still with chips to bet (2), the board texture (possible straight and flush draws) and the pot size. Due to the situation I'm in, I need to bet 2/3 pot (185 chips). I do not want to bet less than this, beacuse doing so could give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

If an opp calls me on the flop, then my plan for the rest of the hand is to check to try to get to showdown and I don't want to bet again, unless my hand improves.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#7)
Hello JWK24 and thanks for your suggestions

I find this hand evaluation service to be a great help for newbies like myself. I'll definitely post more hands in the future.

I stand ready for the next Bankroll Builder task. I'm awaiting your orders Raiser

Thanks,
your humble servant norbikasd

Old
Sun Mar 17, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I completed the Poker Basic course and watched the 'Getting Started' video.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#9)
Thanks for the starting bonus, I was dumb enough to waste it already though.

Ok, so here is the hand:

The whole table has been playing very aggressive all the time, including the guy who ended up winning this pot. So after folding to their aggressive pre flop raises for many hands I decided I'd play this small pair. I went on to call the raise at the start, then after the flop the other guy minraised and I called. At this point (because of his aggressive play in earlier hands) I thought he didn't have anything and was just trying to bluff me, so I called.
Was calling here a mistake? Should I have raised? Or folded?
So the turn comes and he raises again, at this point I was still thinking he didn't have anything, so I called.
Then after the river I go all in and lose everything.

So what do you think?

Also here are three reasons for a big bet (and a fourth one for bonus points, just kidding): to put a lot of pressure on opponents, to bluff people off decent hands, to gain value from very strong hands, to protect against strong draws

Edit: I have now passed the Cash game quiz aswell, I'm awaiting the evaluation and ready for the next task!

Thanks, your humble servant,
norbikasd

Last edited by norbikasd; Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks for the starting bonus
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Norbikasd, I'll take a look at this hand for you.

Thanks for providing information about the other players as that often helps with hand analysis. If I'm on a table that is quite aggressive, I'm usually not going to get involved with marginal hands. I want to remain patient and then if I make a strong hand on the flop, I expect to get paid off.
With a hand like 66, I really like it when someone raises before me, because I can call and go "set-mining". The plan with a small pair is to try and flop a set of trips, which is a very strong hand. If we miss the flop, we should nearly always fold, because a lousy pair of 6s will almost never be the best hand at showdown. The simple rule to remember here is "Spike or hike". If you spike a set, you're good. If you miss, then fold.

So calling pre-flop is fine. The flop is A54, and one villain only bets 2c into 21c, giving you pot odds of 23:2 on a call. If he'd made a bigger bet, I'd be folding instantly, but here it's slightly different. You only have 2 outs to improve, but I'm pretty sure that if you hit your 2-outer, you'll be able to win a big pot if this guy has an ace. So calling the minbet is just about fine.
The turn brings another ace, and this time the villain bets 6c into 25c, giving you pot odds of 31:6, which is about 5:1. The pot is no longer giving you good odds to call, because the odds against you hitting a 6 and making a full house is abut 20:1. So folding on the turn is the right move.
Leading out on the river with your whole stack is huge mistake. This villain has played the hand weakly, but his most likely holding is trip aces. There aren't many 2NL players that can fold trip aces, so this big bluff of yours doesn't have much chance of success.

In future, don't make desperate moves like this. Just see if you can hit the flop. If you do, then make bets that you think will be called (value bets). If you miss, then fold at the earliest opportunity.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:16 PM
(#12)
Hi Arty and thanks for the analysis.
I'll try to avoid mistakes like this one in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser
I'm ready for the next step

your humble servant,
norbikasd

Last edited by norbikasd; Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 07:32 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have now passed the Cash game quiz aswell,
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your second bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your second buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your 3rd Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

If you should lose your second buy-in at the tables do not despair, simply post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread using the hand replayer. Once you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step but hopefully this won't happen to you.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
(#14)
Challenge failed.
I lost all my money but 0.10$ at 0.01/0.02$ tables, so I decided I'd try a sit'n go tournament as a last chance. I almost hit the bubble, I finished 49th, 36th already got some cash.
So I was quite low on chips, well below average, like 48th/49, that is why I decided to do this All in.

so what do you think about my play?

your humble servant,
norbikasd

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Challenge failed.
I lost all my money but 0.10$ at 0.01/0.02$ tables, so I decided I'd try a sit'n go tournament
Hello,

Please post the hand where you lost the money on the cash tables, you will need to do this before you can get any more buy-ins from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Remember that this is a Cash Game promotion only so tournament hands do not count for this promotion.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Please post the hand where you lost the money on the cash tables

Ok, sorry, so here is a hand where I lost money. I request evaluation, sadly I didn't have a read on the opponents.

Thanks,
your humble servant
norbikasd

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
(#17)
I think you forgot about me so I'm just going to BUMP.
Sorry for double post.

your humble servant
norbikasd

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I think you forgot about me so I'm just going to BUMP.
Sorry for double post.

your humble servant
norbikasd
Thanks, one of the Hand Analysers will look at this later for you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

Ok, sorry, so here is a hand where I lost money. I request evaluation, sadly I didn't have a read on the opponents.

Thanks,
your humble servant
norbikasd
Hi norbikasd

I apologize about not seeing you hand earlier!

This spot is special because you are rather short stacked to begin with having only 11 bbs. The deeper your stack, the greater your options, and conversely the shorter your stack the fewer your options. With 11 bbs you want to pick a spot and simply move all in preflop. You don't have enough chips call a bet preflop then fold. Had you moved all in and everyone folded, that is a good result for you. If you get called, then you at least get to see all five cards. KQs from early postion would probably be good enough to shove with in this spot.

Secondly, regardless of your stacksize, any time you are the first to enter the pot preflop, do so with a raise. Limping in reduces the chances of you winning and usually reduces the amount you win too. This is important, so remember it in the future. If you are the fist to enter a pot, do so with a raise.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#20)
Hi Roland

Thanks for your tips.
I'll keep them in mind next time I'm sitting at a cash table, hopefully I won't waste my money this time.

I'm ready for the next step, Raiser.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com