Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$7 STT chip leader calling 2 all-ins - math call?

Old
$7 STT chip leader calling 2 all-ins - math call? - Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

This is one of those should I or shouldn't I? In live training we hear about the maths call 2 : 1 pot odds with any two?

Not any two cards here >>67s<< but against two all-in as well.

Yes an easy call or no keep those chips you are the chip leader? Ok it turns out nice for me but...

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Forrest,

IMO this is a fold.

I discuss the 2-1 math call in my training classes a lot, but you're missing some things that are applicable in this case.

The 2-1 math call factors in:

-It's heads up
-The villain's range is very wide
-The impact to your stack if you lose won't be detrimental to your position in the tournament or your ability to use valuable plays like restealing etc.

In this hand I think the 3rd factor is present, a loss won't be detrimental to your tournament position really. However the first 2 factors aren't there. It's not heads up but 3 handed, for which you generally need more odds. The premise of the 2-1 math call is that against a wide you're not that big a dog... in fact against a random hand 72o is only a 2-1 underdog preflop. But if you have to outrun multiple opponents you are going to be a bigger dog to them both collectively. While the first all in is shorter and not as big of a factor (you'll be effectively heads up for about 40% of the pot with the bigger stack), the reshover's range is not random nor likely wide. Against a super wide range 76s would have a nice overlay here and only be a 40-45% dog but against a tight range you're probably at the actual 2-1 even with this holding (and 72o would be about 3-1 dog vs a tighter range).

Hope this helps.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Dave,

On the 2 : 1 odds I remembered the situations in training are heads up, short stack and wide range.

Here I make a big mistake. I actually thought I had better odds being 3 way just topping up the pot to get a 1/3 equity of the pie.

I'm not doing this with 72o - T2o but 76s live against most Ax and maybe hit a mid-low draw against a pair.

Yes your 3rd point is crucial here. With 1bb invested I'm calling another 4bb and it won't impact my tournament position losing here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com