Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl 6max, rivered a str8... raise or check back?

Old
10nl 6max, rivered a str8... raise or check back? - Mon Mar 18, 2013, 02:03 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
villain stats

VPIP 64
PFR 23
AGR.F 1.85

isolation raise with KTo in the BTN against this loose player. the flop is prety decent so i make a cbet. OTT i pick up a gutshot and i decided to check back, because this type of opponet doesnt fold if he has a piece of the board. river is a Q which completes my str8 and villain bets a little over half a pot.
i just called because i couldnt think of any worse hand that he could call with. he would probably call with a 9, but if he had it wouldnt he bet a little bigger? if he had played an A like that, would he have called my raise? and if he had a J, Q or an underpair would he have bet?
so, i thought that the only hand he would call a raise with is a boat.is my thought proccees correct or it doesnt apply to these type of players?

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey Espada,

against that type of opponent and such a small betsize OTR I would happily raise for value to something like $3ish expecting to get called by all Ax/9x. Those guys are sometimes not even folding midpairs cause they love going to SD and hate feeling bluffed.

If he jams over that raise we can still safely fold with anticipation of too many boats in his range.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com