Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

BTNvsSBvsBB 3 bet pot

Old
BTNvsSBvsBB 3 bet pot - Mon Mar 18, 2013, 08:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
I've got an interesting hand here and I would know if I played it correctly.

BTN in 35 hands opened from the BTN 100% of the time so I thought my hand beats its range most of the time.
BB is a reg player, I dont know its CC in 3bet spot since I dont have that stat on my HUD yet.

On the flop with 2 players in the hand I preferred to check oop since a K might be on range even though I think AK would 4bet here on this spot.

BTN leads out and I called, turn card gave me the nut flush draw in addition to the 2p so I decided to push all in, even though I only beat bluffs.

How would you have played this hand?

Thank you very much

Mind_V_Gap

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Mind,

I'm unclear on the button read... if he's opened 100% of buttons in 35 opportunities to take that action, it's insane and we are light years ahead of his range which is basically any 2. If you mean the total sample size of hands you have on this villain is 35, it's tough to draw much meaning from 100%. 35 hands total is about 6 buttons, and then it has to be folded to him so he can have an opportunity to open first in... clearly he's had at least 1 such opportunity since you have a stat for this (100%) but in 6 buttons it may only be 1 trial and probably not more than 2 or 3.

I'll assume it's the latter... still with AQ I would 3b here, as I think we can get called by some worse hands in this spot like AJ,maybe weaker aces, KQ, and middling pairs like 88-TT that won't know what to do on a lot of flops and having the initiative benefits us. Also I don't really want to flat and invite the reg to over call in position on me.

Flop line is reasonable with this hand strength as we have fallen into largely a way ahead/way behind spot in a 3 way pot and the BB's cold call is very concerning. (note... CC in 3B stat should be in the pop up even if not on your table HUD display, might be worth looking at but only going to help if you have a lot of hands on the player as this doesn't come up too frequently).

I like the call of button's bet, he may have us beat but he also could be drawing, betting a worse Q like QJ/QT or just be betting because we all checked to him.

I really don't like your turn line... we can certainly continue now with the nut flush draw equity but I think checking and calling is the only real way to go here... if we take an aggressive action we are going to get our money in bad (only get called by better) and fold out worse (his bluffs). We might make an exception to this if we thought we could get better hands to fold (basically just a K, as 2 pair+ won't fold), but I think trying to get random 2nl players to fold top pair is just lighting money on fire... we need much more specific reads before I'm going that route.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:38 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
thank you Langolier for your comment. So you basically would suggest a more passive line calling untill the river. At the river on the 2nd king would you call a big bet or a push? Is that only a case that villain had TT?
Thank you

Old
Mon Mar 18, 2013, 08:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Sorry, I hadn't looked at the river, I stopped at the point you went all in.

When in way ahead/way behind spots it's generally more profitable to take a passive line if we feel an aggressive action will fold out all worse hands but get action from better, which is the case here.

As played I would probably check/call this river. It seems very hard for the villain to actually show up with a king, as they don't make much sense. What K did he call the 3b with preflop? AK? Maybe, but he'd 4b at least some of the time I'd think. KJs? Maybe, but he'd fold at least some of the time I'd think. KQo? Not may combos of that even left and again, questionable. AK and KJ would seem likely to check back the turn a fair bit as well when the flush comes in as our call plus this turn card should be scary to a 1 pair holding. It seems likely that he's fairly polarized to move all in on the river, either a monster like KdJd or a bluff, I'd expect most other hands to check down or not have played earlier streets this way. The price the pot will be giving us on a river shove we need to be right 33% of the time to make a profit, it may be close but I'd look him up which I tend to do when lines make no sense as that smells like a bluff. Definitely make a note on what he shows down either way for future reads. Bet/calling your turn check-raise with TT no diamond is pretty bad imo, loose-aggressive play post flop at all stages for him so some good notes.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:10 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thank you very much

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com