Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Arty's Smokin' Poker Blog

Old
Cool
Arty's Smokin' Poker Blog - Mon Mar 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi guys,

I plan to start blogging more often now I'm on the PSO team. My first effort is PSO Home games, tourney results and an idea for the future. (Clicky link)

I'm thinking of writing a whole series aimed at total beginners to cash games; a step-by-step guide to beating 2NL with a fundamentally solid strategy that you can build upon if you want to move up. I'd appreciate if you could subscribe to the blog to indicate there is some demand for that sort of thing.

I'll also use this thread for the occasional interesting hand or observation that doesn't warrant a whole blog itself.

Where time allows, I'm also happy to answer poker questions, provided they're not too personal and it's not something that can be easily answered with a quick search of the forum.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 06:09 PM
(#2)
I've not been playing much lately, as hand analysis has used up most of my free time, but I just used one of my Omaha Week free tickets. I'd literally only played about 25 hands of Courchevel before, straight after the training session with Talonchick, but I thought I'd chance my luck in a 48-player SnG, as it seemed the best value.
I was definitely the tightest player at the table, and was just using the tourney as a learning experience. For much of the tourney I was nursing a very short stack, but somehow sneaked on to the final table with 2 big blinds (lol).
From there I had some rungood, but the opponents were also quite bad, stacking off with gutshots and weak flush draws on paired boards. I got all in pre with a couple of big pairs that held, and then I could start being more aggressive when I saw a flop cheaply in position. It's always nice to flop a straight and have a redraw to the nut flush, so I got paid in a couple of big pots, placing me first. The 3 opponents had just a couple of big blinds each, so it was basically "all in" with any playable hand from there, and I had fortune on my side, eventually winning heads up with a couple of good flop bets.

I thought the SnG would be good value, but turning a free ticket into $20.26 was much better than expected.

If you've got a couple of these Omaha Week tickets, I strongly recommend you use them before they expire, as the games are fun and you could improve your skills for no outlay, and may even build your bankroll. Good luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 07:32 PM
(#3)
I only had time to play 2 SnGs today. The first was my usual 90-man, and I busted out on the third hand, which was my worst finish ever. (I'm usually never going all in early on with anything less than the nuts, but here I made a bad value-shove with JJ on 9xxAx, as I just couldn't put villain on an ace based on his bet sizes and pre-flop limp-call).
So I used my other Omaha week ticket. I fired up another Courchevel 48-man SnG and played pretty tight again. Villains were stacking off very light, like TP on wet boards. I made a few nut flushes and a couple of boats, and made it to the FT again. Got 3rd this time. Another free $11 for the bankroll.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#4)
Shortly available on my blog will be the first in a series of articles for beginning players.

Check it out HERE and don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you get an email when the blog is updated.

Comments, suggestions and questions are probably best kept in this thread, where I'm more likely to see/answer them.
Till the next time, Good luck at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Really looking forward to learning more about full ring Arty!!

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 07:06 AM
(#6)
Part 2 of my 'ABC of 2NL' series is now up: The Fundamental Gameplan

It's pretty basic stuff so far, but I'll be getting into more detailed stuff in the coming weeks.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Hey Arty

It looks like your doing really well with omaha i had ago the other night and i missed a load of straights and flushes playing tight but when i got some good hands i hit the board with tptk which ended up with me folding, could of easily won if i were a loose player with all the made hand i would of hit on the flop i think im going to keep to hold em though omaha feels like playing bingo lol

How did you get free tickets?

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
How did you get free tickets?
Pokerstars/PSO had a week-long "Omaha Week" promotion in which passing the PSO Omaha Quiz rewarded you with two $1.50 tickets for a range of Omaha/Courchevel Sit n Gos. I'm really not very good at Omaha, but it's fun to play and I think it's helped with my hand-reading (I'm now more conscious of the draws that a random board can offer), but I think it's best to concentrate on Holdem until you're comfortable with that, because Omaha is very complex and the variance can be insane.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#9)
Really i passed that quiz during that omaha week i wonder where my tickets got off to

Im having a good run on hold em ive tightened my game up abit more im playing position better and folding to 3 bets pre flop more often depending on the player its working well, ive managed to turn over another 15 dollars

Last edited by mike2198; Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
(#10)
Part 3 of my 'ABC of 2NL' series will shortly be available.

This week, I've written a lengthy piece about my favourite holiday destination...

I've emphasised the importance of showdown winnings and posted a graph to show you that the redline is nothing to worry about.

CLICK TO VISIT VALUETOWN and subscribe if you want more articles like this.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome as usual.

At the weekend, I'll be posting part 2 of the April Big Bang video, and then I'll start work on 2NL pre-flop strategy. The long-awaited hand charts are coming soon, I promise!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
(#11)
That was a good read arty, i hear you with re raising for information on if they can beat 1 pair or not il stop doing that now lol, when you say you should welcome drawing hands would you say 65% pot bet is about right on the flop then a 80% on the turn with TPTK?

What about with TPTK on a dry board i dnt like making the pot to big with TPTK but i tend to be quite aggro with TPTK on a dry board and everyone folds to me on the turn, should i lower my bets when i have the aces with a decent kicker and keep making them fold the turn if i had say JQ and i hit my jack because then theres a good chance of an A or K rolling out i think my bets are pretty good but i think im missing out on value.

On your graph i noticed your line is really straight thats telling me your losing very little and making a steady profit but mine is going up fairly well but you can see i lose more than you so im thinking is that something to do with me betting to much and having to give a hand up here and there when i know im behind.

Its like just now i sat at a table with $2 and made 50c with tptk/ (c bet bluffing mainly lol) then i lose 60c raising 3bb and missing the next 10 hands, then along comes a monster and il make $1 is that how you roll or am i missing something, i think its my betting though im possibly over betting and missing value/ losing more than i need to.

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey, arty - that's something I've been trying to work on a lot lately - trying to get the most out of every hand where I'm ahead. See a lot of nice tips in your blog - thanks for writing these!!

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 07:35 PM
(#13)
Quote:
That was a good read arty, i hear you with re raising for information on if they can beat 1 pair or not il stop doing that now lol, when you say you should welcome drawing hands would you say 65% pot bet is about right on the flop then a 80% on the turn with TPTK?
Read JWK's blog that I linked to in mine for detail on sizing. I vary my sizes according to number and tendencies of opponents, flop texture, stack sizes, position etc.
I'd usually go towards 80% on the flop when I think I'm getting called, and then 65% or less on the turn. It's a smaller percentage of the pot on the turn, but a larger size in actual dollars and cents. On the river, one of my specialities is the super-small value bet, of around 1/3 of pot. It's amazing how light you'll be looked up when you set a cheap showdown price. (This is ideal when you have one pair and you think villain had a draw that missed. When I bet small on the river, they look me up with hands like Jack high sometimes!)
Quote:
What about with TPTK on a dry board i dnt like making the pot to big with TPTK but i tend to be quite aggro with TPTK on a dry board and everyone folds to me on the turn, should i lower my bets when i have the aces with a decent kicker and keep making them fold the turn if i had say JQ and i hit my jack because then theres a good chance of an A or K rolling out i think my bets are pretty good but i think im missing out on value.
Smaller bets on dry boards. What you are aiming for is a sweet spot that is the largest bet that is still likely to be called. That's how we extract maximum value. If you think villain is weak (and the board is dry) then you need to bet smaller to keep him in the pot.
Quote:
On your graph i noticed your line is really straight thats telling me your losing very little and making a steady profit but mine is going up fairly well but you can see i lose more than you so im thinking is that something to do with me betting to much and having to give a hand up here and there when i know im behind.
The main reason my lines look straight is because of the sample size, but hidden in there are some pretty bad downswings and an insane heater. It looks pretty flat after 100k hands, but if I focused on one particular 10k stretch you'd see the crazy swings that everyone experiences.
Quote:
Its like just now i sat at a table with $2 and made 50c with tptk/ (c bet bluffing mainly lol) then i lose 60c raising 3bb and missing the next 10 hands, then along comes a monster and il make $1 is that how you roll or am i missing something, i think its my betting though im possibly over betting and missing value/ losing more than i need to.
That's exactly what happens to everyone due to random card distribution. I don't win exactly 20c every 100 hands. I sometimes go for 450 hands and never win anything but a couple of blinds, and then I'll have a rapid succession of monster wins or monster losses. It's only in the long run that you get an idea of your "true" winrate, and this is also why we should be properly rolled for the stakes we play. I usually play short sessions of 300 hands or so. It's not unheard of for me to lose 7 or 8 sessions in a row. If I didn't have 30 or so buy-ins in my roll, a losing streak could bust me, or send me into tilt-spew or playing scared.
Even after 100,000 hands, I still struggle with the crazy variance that poker can bring. This game can really mess with your head because it's perfectly possible to play brilliantly and lose, or play badly and win. That's why we need to play a LOT of poker to really find out if we're any good at it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
(#14)
Since: Jun 2010
Great read Arty
I especially enjoyed the Valuetown portion as I was not looking at it from your point of view.
Thanks for these great tips.

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:05 PM
(#15)
Since: Jun 2010
It appears I cannot subscribe to any blogs ; apparently email notifications are not available on my account here .

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 02:57 PM
(#16)
Frasier: That's odd. I know you can switch on/off notifications for PMs by going to forum settings, but I'm not aware of a way to switch on/off notifications for blogs. I presume these are sent to the email addy you have linked to your Pokerstars account via the client software, because I can't find any way of setting/changing the email addy directly on PSO.

--

Part 4 of The ABC of 2NL will be available on my blog imminently. The hand-charts are ready to roll, but you're going to have to wait a few more days, because I think it's important for newbies to understand a little about how the opening ranges were formed. Today's blog is titled The importance of position when forming your pre-flop strategy and should give you some useful tips when you're considering playing a hand.

Comments, questions and suggestions are as welcome as usual.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
(#17)
Good to see all these great posts arty i thought my EP hands were fairly tight but seen as your not making that much in EP i think il tighten up abit more, i haven't really took notice of my profits in EP il have a look now but yh your right you cant get money in the pot as well when your OP.

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 03:06 PM
(#18)
The hand charts have arrived!

Just posted is part 5 of The ABC of 2NL: Open-raising charts for early positions. I hope some of you find it interesting and/or useful.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 04:26 PM
(#19)
Its good to see im opening pretty much the same hands as you so far except for maybe AQ il open UTG and fold a 3bet, trouble is if a nit calls and starts betting at you on a A T 7 flop you question if your ahead or not.

Best thing about these charts is that you know when a tight player opens utg if you don't have a hand that can compete with the hands you just shown you know to fold which has saved me alot of money, Ive only recently been playing similar to that range. I think il knock AQ on the head what you said on getting 3 betted il make money by not opening 4bb utg.

I think my hand range is quite good for all positions except the blinds, im stealing really well now but its when someone on buttons trys to steal from me and i don't have a good enough hand to 3bet with so i haven't got a range to call with really i just re steal with anything if your stealing alot lol, i would like a better strategy in the blinds its abit random the way i play the blinds.

As for low pocket pairs yh i agree limping them just loses money and players just batter you for showing weakness i don't even play pocket 22s unless i can limp behind people with them or check the bb, im $2 up with them playing that way so it must be a good way to go with them.

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#20)
The raising charts were pretty easy to put together. The complicated stuff comes when we're faced with a raise pre-flop. Creating calling and 3-betting ranges is much more complicated. It's especially complex when we get round to battles between late position players and the blinds, but I'll do my best to give you some pointers.

In the past, I've probably done too much calling pre-flop, but I'll be advocating pretty tight calling ranges when I come to writing articles on that subject. So much depends on player types and stack sizes, so I need to cover those topics too.
With most of the weaker speculative hands, like 76s and small pairs, you ideally want to be in position in a cheap multiway pot, so you can get in cheaply and then either fold when you miss the flop, or get your value by raising it up when you hit big. Often, you'll get a chance to over-limp at 2NL, so that's definitely something you can do with the weakest playable hands. Most of the time, however, you want to be raising first into the pot, and getting out of the way if someone beats you to it.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com